Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » Advice On Filters For A Fujifilm S200 EXR
Advice On Filters For A Fujifilm S200 EXR 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
chelle & steve
Hi was wondering if anybody knew the best type of filter to use in general on Meeru? I have a choice of the U.V or Polarising, as these are the only 2 i can get for my camera from Jessops. Any advice would be helpful,

Many Thanks

Steve

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Shazo1
Hi Chelle,

I am sure HJ or Mark or some Photographic genius will eventually come to your aid, as I am only just starting out with the Photography marlky, but as I am aware UV Filters are primarily used to protect your lens, from sand, grit & dirt - so I certainly would get one of those ( a tip always put your filter on with your lens facing downwards) - Polarized Filters are I believe used to diminish glare from the water, such as shots in the Pool on a sunny day - on the sea - and from the sun (please dont quote me - as its just my understanding). I did have polarised filters for my old Camera, but I havent invested in any yet for my new Nikon D5000.

Happy Snapping xx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:26 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
A UV filter is a must for every lens as it protects it. You should get one as a matter of priority.

I don't have many filters, in fact I only have three different types: UV, Polarising and a Neutral Density filter.

I took and used my polarising filter to Meeru, it gave me very rich colours and cut out some of the harsh light. It made the sky really blue and the sea really clear.

A ND filter would be a good shout to get some good, original sunsets, I just use mine for waterfall shots to give the water that milky look but the ND filter is quite useful in all kinds of situations where there is a lot of light, like there is on Meeru but apart from that, I don't use filters that much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
If it's an either-or choice then get the UV filter. Polarisers are not something you would leave on the lens all the time. If you can get both then do so. If you get a polariser do a little research on how to use it, and when (their effectiveness varies by time of day and Sun angle, and your angle with respect to where the Sun is).

There is a school of thought that says clear filters like UV or protective plain clear glass filters are unnecessary. I don't agree so I'm 100% with Mark on this; for protection alone they're worth it. It's not just a question of avoiding scuffs.

On Meeru you and your kit will be immersed in humid air. Keeping that off a lens surface, and preventing salty splashes hitting the same surface if you go near the sea, is a worthy goal in its own right. Any wear and tear from cleaning off dirt will accumulate over time on the (cheaper to replace) filter and not the lens.

I rarely use filters to actively change the nature of what I'm shooting, but there's a filter on every lens I own.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
chelle & steve
Hi
I would just like to say thank you for your help with the filters, I may have found a web site where I can get U.V, Polarising, Dif & Macro! for a good price so here's hoping
Steve

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
chelle & steve
Lovely just ordered a UV filter and Polarising filter so nowjust need to read about when to use them!

[/url]
Advice On Filters For A Fujifilm S200 EXR 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography