Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » DSLT (the new DSLR?)
DSLT (the new DSLR?) 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
As Sony user I was interested to read about their new Alpha a55 & a33 DSLT Cameras.

DSLT stands for Digital Single Lens Translucent and adopts a new spin on a decades-old photographic idea: the mirror is translucent. It splits light between the focusing sensor and the image sensor — all the time. The mirror never has to flip up to take a picture, so the autofocus never goes blind when you take a shot.As a result, the camera can shoot an incredible 10 shots a second, refocusing all the way. The HD video that can be done on the camera gets excellent reviews also because of this translucent mirror system.

Its getting some good reviews and I would definitely consider upgrading to these models as the bulk of the main body can be reduced in size considerably which is no bad thing when travelling to the Maldives with all your lenses etc.

Sony Alpha a55 & a33

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Intriguing definitely Smile.

I'm sure it works...but only 70% of the light coming through the lens gets to the sensor. So you lose about a third of an f-stop off every lens you put on the camera? I know 1/3 EV is not a huge loss, especially now sensors are producing less and less noise for higher and higher ISO settings.

I also doubt I could ever tell the difference between a photo taken at approx ISO150 on one of these Sonys (to compensate for the 1/3 loss) and one taken at ISO100 on an equivalent camera not using this system. Part of me can't shake off that light loss though...and does that angled glass window affect the image in certain situations?

I understand all the pluses though (especially for the HD stuff where autofocus is so useless during filming on normal DSLRs you're best disabling it even if available) and for many it will be a nifty solution.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Humble Jim wrote:
...and does that angled glass window affect the image in certain situations?

I believe in some reviews that a 'ghosting' effect has been seen when the image has been blown up but nothing more than a bad & cheap lens would produce in the same scenario.

Mostly agreed that this phenomenon is slight and certainly not immediately noticeable with this new mirror technology in the Sony.

Casey Cool
DSLT (the new DSLR?) 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography