Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world! » Mawgan Porth
Mawgan Porth 
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:43 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
Diane and I were invited down to Mawgan Porth in Cornwall for the wedding Bank Holiday weekend and as we had nothing on, we thought why not. Daniel our son decided he wanted to come along too so we packed up the car and drove down Wednesday and returned Sunday evening.

Mawgan Port is a small village located between Newquay and Padstow, driving out of Newquay heading toward Padstow, Mawgan Porth is the next bay after Watergate bay. not much going on, there is a village shop, a bakery, a pub and a restaurant and thats about it apart from a stunning beach.

On arrival we met up with Diane's sister and her family and also he husbands brother and family. They had prepared a lovely meal for our arrival. Smile

After dinner we all decided to take the dogs down onto the beach (a 3 min walk away) to catch the sunset. It was stunning! The beach was spotlessly clean and absolutely beautiful. it is a small bay with cliffs on both sides, perfect for kids and grown ups alike.

I had taken delivery of my new 17-55mm lens prior to setting off so I thought I would give it a go, the sunset looked promising. Here are a couple of sunset shots:

This is Luke with his skim board, my efforts on it resulted in my getting soaked to the skin!

Diane's sisters family are all surfers so the next day we went off to have a go, I hired a board for the day and soon discovered this was a sport that was made to look easy. In practice a totally different story, I was rubbish! I did persevere and managed to get up once all day albeit for just a few seconds!

The sea was clean and fresh but very cold so after a coupe of hours I was starting to feel the chill so we all set off to the beach for a game of boules and a traditional Cornish Pasty freshly cooked in the bakers shop.

We spent the next day surfing in fantastic weather, everyone had a great time. I was really stiff from the day before so I decided to take my camera and record the surf in camera!

Here we have from left to right Daniel, Jemma, Sanchia and Pete all waiting to get over the big one as they paddle out to catch a wave:

Here is Sanchia showing off!

We also had a trip into Padstow on Sunday, wasnt really my cup of tea as it was far too busy, Newquay, too, wasnt somewhere I would choose to stay.

Fistral beach was nice and what surprised me was how clean it was considering how many people use it. I never saw anyone drop litter or stick fags into the sand which was really nice to see:

Fistral Beach

The weekend was fabulous. Having spent most of our adult lives living abroad its always a pleasure for Diane and me to discover what lies on our very own shores. Cornwall is a diamond, a stunningly beautiful place with such variety. I would whole heartedly recommend a visit to Mawgan Porth, we plan to go back in Sep after Diane has recuperated from some serious surgery she has in early June, it the perfect place for her to relax and concentrate on getting better.

The bay at Mawgan Porth:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
1ee
Love the second image Mark.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Pamela
Hi Mark

The photo of Fistral Beach reminded me of childhood , it was one of my parents favourite places to take us.. Many a happy hour was spent playing football and cricket with Dad on the beach.

Lovely photos all of them.
Thanks for sharing hunny Very Happy

Pamela x

www.babysigners.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
fergie
Lovely photos Mark and what a beautiful place. We are all too ready to jet off abroad when there are such lovely places on our doorstep! Thing is if you went there in the summer it would probably rain!

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Mark
Nina and I were near St Ives over the same period. Lucky with the weather. We watched a load of surfers riding the waves at Godrevy/Gwithian beach. We also saw 20 or so seals basking in a bay near Godrevy lighthouse.
A glorious part of the country.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
Hiya folks,

Yep it really is a beautiful part of the world.

Fistral Beach really surprised me, I have heard of it before and imagined it to be a bit scruffy but it was immaculate, very well kept. You will be pleased to hear, Pamela, that your Dad's traditions of playing football and cricket on Fistral are still going strong, there were a few families doing that very thing!

Had I known you were in St Ives Mark we would have popped over to see you and Nina. You are right about the weather, it was glorious. Having said that though, I reckon I would still love the place if it rained, there is so much to do.

I agree with you Fergie, we are so focussed on holidays abroad we tend not to consider what we have on our own doorstep. We live on the edge of the Peak District and we feel so privileged having such a beautiful place as our "back garden".

Glad you liked the photos. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
karyn
Mark you brought back some truly wonderful memories of my childhood holidays to Mawgan Porth. We used to caravan there every year for six weeks over the school holidays - we stayed at a site approx 25 mins walk from the beach called Gluvian (it's now called Sun Haven Valley).

My late father and I were members of Padstow Sailing Club.

My husband and I took our tent there for the eclipse and we stood on the cliff at Mawgan Porth - a spectacular sight as it went totally dark and we saw the lights over in Newquay.

Like you I'm not keen on Newquay although Fistral Beach is fabulous. Crantock Beach is another favourite of ours.

It's my birthday on 12 June and so to celebrate we're flying from East Mids to Newquay airport and staying one night in Mawgan Porth and 2 nights at The Old Custom House right on Padstow Harbour so I can reminisce about the idyllic summers I had there with my late parents. We also live on the edge of the Peak District but I didn't fancy the long drive and BMI Baby were doing cheap flights

Thanks for posting up such fabulous photographs, you've reminded me of what we've got to look forward to! Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
I never thought my trip report from our visit to Mawgan Porth would receive such nice comments. I am really pleased that it brought back such wonderful memories, for some of you. I think of the kids that we went with and the memories they will have in 20-30 years time.

Thank you for sharing such wonderful, emotional memories. I really enjoyed reading them.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:20 am Reply with quote
1983_Sarah
Thanks for the report and photos Mark bought back memories of growing up in East Cornwall! My Dad was in the Navy so we lived in Torpoint for 7 years I miss the beaches and cliff walks!

Meeru May 2005
Meeru June 2009
Meeru 2010
Vilamendhoo 2011

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Many a holiday in St.Ives. Cornwall has wonderful scenery, people & lifestyle. (Not as good as Cumbria, but I have to say that don't I Wink) From a photography point of view, the light is amazing and I can see why artists from all over choose to reside there to do their work..lucky people!

Nice photos Mark. Sanchia is more brave than me for sure Laughing

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Lee Frankham
Great photos

Makes me fell much better after my days work in the garden Cool

Lee

[/url]
Mawgan Porth 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world!