Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world! » Voyager Beach Hotel, Nyali Beach, Mombasa.
Voyager Beach Hotel, Nyali Beach, Mombasa. 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Mark
A quick report on my fortnight away to witness Nina's nephew get married in Mombasa.

The flight there and back was with Thomson using a First Choice aircraft. My seat would not recline, and Nina had no control for her screen, which didn't actually work. Cabin crew there and back excellent as was the food. Upgraded to Premium for return trip which we enjoyed.

The trip from the airport to the hotel through Mombasa was a sight to see, and it certainly made me realise, through accident of birth in England, how lucky I was.

The hotel looked great in the brochure, and the reception lived up to it....however the room we were in was due an upgrade, and it really needed it. However it was a comfy place to stay. Good beds, working air-con, and functioning water facilities. None of these things can be taken for granted in Kenya.

The food in the resort was superb and the meals/hotel was based on a ship visiting various countries, and this was reflected in the food served that day. There was plenty of choice and even the most sullen teenager was satisfied.

The local brew, Tusker, kept up the hydration levels as did the local rum, Old Monk.

Evening entertainment was, on the whole very good and enjoyable.

We did two trips. One was a 3 day safari to the East and West Tsavo game parks. We saw loads of wild animals, there's a surprise!, including lion, elephant, giraffe, hyena, jackals etc etc. The overnight accommodation was out in the wild. The first night we were adjoined to another room by a locked connecting door. During the night I was awoken by the sound of some horrendous snoring from the elderly lady next door......WRONG....it was a lion doing his stuff on the other side of the electric fence a dozen or so yards away. The next night we were in really posh tents and I was woken up by the same noise again on three occasions, and heard the sound of a lion, one of nine according to the guards, padding around our tent. Nina slept through it all.......do I really snore that loud that she doesn't awaken to a roaring lion? I have to say that being that close to a lion strutting his stuff had a rather melting effect in my stomach.....hard to describe really, but it was about 5 or 6 out of 10 in the scaredy cat range!! We both want to go back to do a weeks safari, both day and night, and on foot. Well Nina told me I wanted to go back, and I dare not argue.

The other trip was into Mombasa. We visited a Hindu temple, woodcarving factory, market, the old port, Fort Jesus. A whistle stop tour to show the good and bad of the town. The guide was so proud of the new Post Office and the railway station ( which looked as if it had also been visited by Dr Beeching). We then had lunch on a dhow sailing on the Tudor River. The best meal of the holiday combined with extremely good staff and a cracking band. Wonderful. Them off to Hallen wildlife park where we saw enormous tortoises, hippos and crocs being fed. You could also feed the giraffes yourself.....if you could get past the velvet monkeys nicking all the food pellets.

I went to Kenya with some trepidation. I have never visited Africa before, whereas both Dad ( to Mombasa with the R.N.) and Mum had. I wasn't sure what to expect, however what has won me over is the charm and determination of the people. They are, on the whole, beautiful in every way and if the Gods smile on me then I will relish the chance to go again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Shazo1
Great Report Mark, and so glad you had a good time, and enjoyed the Safari, hey, you stayed in the same hotel as we are in September - any tips ?

And Any Tips for the Safari ?? - What was the Mozzie population like, as they normally feed on me - so I am not looking forward to that.

Are you saying the Lions was actually walking around your Tent ? Shocked

Are you going to post some to Piccies, would love to see them.

I am getting excited now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Shazo1
And how did the Sigma 150-500 fair ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:19 am Reply with quote
LyndaT
Hi Mark.
I will also be staying at the Voyager later in the year so glad to hear that it is a good choice!! When last there we stayed at the Kole Kole but couldn't quite stretch to that this time!! How much of a pain were the beach boys? That was the only thing that annoyed me on the last visit.
As long as the Tusker keeps flowing we can put up with most things!!

Hi Shazo1. How long are you there for? We arrive Oct 3 as we are on safari in Tanzania first Very Happy Very Happy

Lynda

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Shazo1
Hi LyndaT

We will miss you, we fly out on 9th September and we do 7 day Safari, then we arrive at the Voyager on 17th September for a week, so we`ll miss you by a week, thats a shame.

I`m looking forward to the beach holiday, not so sure about the Safari though Shocked I hope that the Lions have done there chasing for the day and they are lying sunbathing under a tree, rather than chasing a little defenceless deer for its dinner Crying or Very sad I know they have to eat, and i`m not a Veggie, but I am an animal lover, seriously I`m sure it will be an experience of a lifetime.

Its something my Dad always wanted to do, then the year we were going to take him, he became ill with Cancer and never lived to do it, so its a little bit in honour of him, and obviously our 30th Wedding Anniversary as well.

We were originally going to stay at the Baobab - but because we are taking our Daughter as well, and had to pay a Single Supplement, it was just knocking the price up beyond reach, so the guy we booked the holiday through recommended the Voyager.

It will soon be here for both of us Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Mark
Shazo1 wrote:
And how did the Sigma 150-500 fair ?

Much to my own annoyance having bought it for this trip, I decided not to take it. The weight and size of it would have seriously compromised my luggage allowance, as it was my 400D with its Sigma 18-200 lens took up my hand luggage weight allowance. I would have struggled to use the big lens on the move in the safari vehicle and swinging it around for a quick shot could have rendered someone unconscious! When I put some photos on here you can judge the need for a bigger lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
I have a Tamron 18 - 270 that I was taking, and I was wondering if it will do what I want it too, but you are right, i wouldnt want to turn around and hit someone with it, could be nasty, the 18 -270 is heavy enough.

We have 2 weight allowances I believe (soon know I have to pay for it next week Shocked ) We are allowed 20kg case that will be left at the Somak lounge in Nairobi, then we are allowed 15kg soft holdall to take on Safari - not sure what the allowance is on the handluggage.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
AlisonD
Mark wrote:
I wasn't sure what to expect, however what has won me over is the charm and determination of the people. They are, on the whole, beautiful in every way and if the Gods smile on me then I will relish the chance to go again.

I couldn't agree more Mark - we were lucky to live in Mozambique for two years and my son was born while we were there. We met and became friends with some amazing people who had endured some horrendous things in their lives but they just got on with life and were happy with their lot. Amazing and humbling.

I've really enjoyed your report and I'm glad that you enjoyed Africa - thanks for sharing.

Alison Very Happy

[/url]
Voyager Beach Hotel, Nyali Beach, Mombasa. 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world!