Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » Cannon 600d
Cannon 600d 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:34 am Reply with quote
Loandbigman
Hi,

My husband has decided that when we return to Meeru in September he would like to upgrade our camera and have a go at taking some better photographs. I think after having seen some wonderful photos on this site it has inspired him to have a go.
We currently have the cannon power shot SX 210 IS and he has been looking at the Cannon 600d. Would this be a suitable upgrade enough for him to get a better photo and would he need to purchase any extras with this? Any feedback would be really helpful!

Cheers
Xxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
The leap from any compact camera to a digital SLR (DSLR) is always a significant one, but can be very rewarding.

The "extras" question is difficult to answer because the 600D, like most of its cousins, can be bought 'bare' (body only) or with one or more lenses bundled into a package and I don't know if you're doing a bundle route or purchasing bits separately.

Assuming it is bought with a lens though...what else do you need? Well as a minimum I would add:

- two memory cards. Each 4gb. Two of these are better than one 8gb. Why? Well this is so you have a backup should the first have a problem. If you are considering doing a lot of video with the camera then I would recommend getting two 8gb cards. SDHC cards are pretty cheap, even higher capacity ones.

- either a clear or UV filter for the lens(s) you have - the diameter size you need will be inscribed on the front of the lens itself. It's for protection this. Not just against finger marks or scuffs. Out there seawater, salt air and/ or condensation from very high humidity is all something you want to avoid getting to lens surfaces.

- a case for your camera.

- a spare battery. Gives flexibility. A spare is bound to come in handy sometime. Or one can just be charging in your room while you're shooting with the other out and about on the island. They are not dirt cheap these batteries but at least one spare is good investment.

Before September, try and get a lot of test photos taken and try and learn as much as you can about the different modes available to you to take pictures.

Although the 600D is a very different beast to the SX you own, some of the button controls on the 600D, and the menu look, will be familiar - which can only help you along the learning curve.

Read the manual! The Canon ones are pretty good. Look at what Canon call Picture Styles. For the Maldives the Landscape picture style is ideal (it has nothing to do with Landscape / Portrait, rather it just renders sweeter colours in your photos that match the tropical colourful glory you know about already).

The 600D can take 'RAW' pictures as well as the JPGs you're used to. RAWs take up way more space than JPGs and RAWs require post processing work effort but ultimately you can get more creative with RAW material compared with JPG files.

But don't try running before you walk, stick with JPGs for your initial testing at least. Did I say take lots of test shots before you go Smile?

There are a quite a few DSLR owners on the forum. Feel free to post any questions that come to mind. There's a lot of practical experience you can draw on.

Hope this assists

HJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Loandbigman
Many thanks for that HJ it's given Dave lots to look at and contemplate. I know that the package he's looking at does come with a lens but some of the other items you mentioned he'd not even known to add to his camera.

So once again thank you....... Will let you know how we get on
Cheers Lo
Xxxxxxxxxx
Cannon 600d 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography