Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling » Mantas
Mantas 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
princesslala
I have seen a program on tv tonight and it mentioned that the large Mantas are seen in the Maldives from August to November, Hanifaru is known to attract up to 200 mantas and a dozen whale sharks, which come to feed on the massive amounts of plankton that accumulate in the bay due to a unique interplay between the South West monsoon and tides.

How far is this away from Meeru as I think it would be an amazing sight. hanifaru is located at Baa Atoll.

Thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
t2truth
Hi princesslala,

Hanifaru is quite a distance from Meeru. Probably about 45 minutes from Male by sea plane or approximately 3.5 hrs by fast boat.

When I was on Meeru this year, I did the love boat trip which takes you to a place called Manta Point which is in the same atol as Meeru.

I was absolutely taken back by the fact that suddenly we were told to jump in and snorkel if we wanted to see the Mantas. In I went and before I knew it I was snorkelling around probably 25 Mantas each apparently with a 5 - 6 meter span. They were huge but so amazingly graceful.

I dont actually know if that is big for a Manta but they certainly felt big to me Very Happy Very Happy

I have to say it was probably one of the best experiences I have had in the Maldives and when we go back, my name will be straight down to do the love boat trip.

Unfortunately you dont get to see them every time but in my opinion it would be worth doing the trip anyway and I know I will definately take the chance to have the same experience again.

I hope this helps.

Cool Cool

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 pm Reply with quote
princesslala
t2truth that sounds amazing, will defo go on the trip you suggested
Mantas 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling