Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Back from our FIRST visit to Meeru!
Back from our FIRST visit to Meeru! 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
stewart&julie
OMG, wow, wow, wow!!! Even better than we were expecting. Arrived home late Thursday evening. Still a bit jet lagged due to being back at work Friday! Sad But what a fantastic, beautiful, naturally friendly paradise island Meeru is. We were concerned that having read all the great reviews for over 12 months that we may feel let down, but we were far from dissappointed, that is until we had to come home!

We couldn't believe how smiley and genuine and friendly everyone was. Not sure that there is much we can add to what everyone else says, it's absolutely fantastic. Slightly worried that no where else will beat or even match our experience in Meeru.

One point I will mention is that we had booked a Water Villa, through choice not cost. We had specifically decided this was what we wanted ie. the beach and sea aspect on our doorstep. This was no problem, when we arrived on 14 July we were given the key to 511, it was beautiful, just like the pictures, we were completely happy with the location. On the 20 July we renewed our vows, which was on our 10th Wedding Anniversary, which was a lovely emotional experience. After the ceremony Shaleen who organises the ceremony asked if we would like to upgrade to a JWV, we said thank you very much but we were more than happy with where we were. Next morning we received a call from reception asking if we would like to upgrade for free, again we declined but she said there was work going to be carried out right by our WV so we would probably be disturbed. This obviously threw a spanner in the works. We knew that new arrivals were due that day so didnt want to hang around and be left with little choice. (Due to the island not being full, they are taking advantage and doing some electrical re-wiring) So we decided to go and have a wander around the JWV's to see where we felt would be a good location before making a decision. In the meantime we bumped into our neighbours who said they had been told that they had to move and were not given a choice, so the pressure was on. We decided we would prefer the low even 700's, good position for the sunsets, good view out to sea but also got a glimpse of the Maalan Restaurant and the beach around it, real picture postcard material. We went back to our room and called reception to ask where they intended moving us to, they called back in a couple of mins and we were told 702, in our opinion under the circumstances we couldn't have asked for better, so we agreed. The move was quite painless, but we did feel we lost a big part of the day stressing about what to do and then re-packing and un-packing. When we did arrive in our new room though I did get a bit upset. Although the room is much larger and more luxurious, it felt a bit more 'hotel' and dark compared with 511. Hubby was ready to move back because I was upset, but I agreed to give it a couple of days at least. I must admit in the end we were glad we had the opportunity to experience both the WV and JWV, a plus in favour of the JWV was that I feel that we saw a lot more bigger fish / sharks from the balcony of the JWV than we would have by the WV (especially at night with being lit up underneath). Also one day walking back to 702 we saw a turtle which was fab. Im not a strong swimmer so would not go out of my depth, therefore, I didn't actually use the steps from 702 into the sea as the current was a bit strong for me. For that reason I felt the holiday changed after the first week in that we didnt go in the sea as much the second week as we did the first week as I felt more comfortable to wander back up by the WV's to go in the sea, which was obviously much more convenient when we were in the WV's. By the time we left, new arrivals had moved into 511 so they seemed to be moving on quite quickly.

Overall we didnt see this as a negative, except for my little blip initially. We completely appreciate on-going maintenance has to be done but if we are lucky enough to go again, I would book a Water Villa everytime, definately our overall favourite.

If I think of anything else that I think may be of interest I'll let you know.

PS, free cruises were still not being run when we there for the reason they are not at full capacity. We would have loved to go on one. Oh well, maybe next time! Laughing

Sorry to go on and hope you're still awake! X Smile

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
sams
Hi Stewart & Julie
glad to hear you enjoyed Meeru so much, thanks for taking the time to write a report Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am Reply with quote
littlelef
We stayed in a JWV for our first visit on our honeymoon.

Last year we decided on the Water Villas (cost was one of the deciding factors!) - however we too absolutely loved the water villa - and have booked same again for Feb next year!!

It all comes down to personal choice at the end of the day - and after all it is wonderful Meeru.

Glad that you weren't disappointed with your first visit - I felt the same when we first went - I had read so many wonderful things about it I was concerned that I was expecting too much! But no it truly is paradise!

Problem is no where seems to live up to Meeru for me now!

Heidi x

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
stewart&julie
Hi there, thank you for your replies. Yes, we had a fabulous time thank you, but we're so depressed now! Sad We have even started looking back through a few earlier reports and photos on the forum to keep it all current! It's good actually, as we can now appreciate where things and places are. But I must also say thank you to everyone who has posted info on here, all the tips were a great help.

Also, for anyone due to go shortly, don't worry about it being the rainy season. Whilst there (2 weeks) we only had 2 or 3 storms overnight, a couple of overcast days and one afternoon/evening when it absolutely threw it down. Other than that it was glorious sunshine all the time and of course it was always hot! To be honest we were glad of the overcast days to give us a bit of a breather! Very Happy sunny x

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Angie102a
Dear Stuart and Julie,
Thank you for the trip report. Im glad that you enjoyed your first trip to Meeru. We went last April and it was the best holiday that i had ever had.

We are due to go again in December and have booked a Water Villa so i found your report really great. Was the number of your villa close to the Maalan Restaurant and the bar.

When we went last April we were given the chance to go to another Island - Veligandu, which we did and that was amazing also. We were given an upgrade to a JWV which was absolutely beautiful. They did seem a long way from anything though, so in hindsight we would go for a JBV at Veligandu over the JWV. The experience was absolutely fantastic and would defo do it again.

Glad you had an amazing time on Meeru, it definitely seems to get everyone who goes there. The Meeru bug has bitten once again!

Very Happy

Angie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Mark Jones
I enjoyed reading that.

The Water Villas are really nice and I too like their location although we never stayed in one. The 100's for me everytime. Smile

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
stewart&julie
Hi Angie, WV 511 was 5 mins from the Maalan, if that. To be fair all the WV's are only minutes from it. We felt 511 was just about right. Also the steps to 529 and a couple of the WV's before it always seemed to be in the water. We prefered that sometimes the tide was in and sometimes out by 511. But we were also lucky when allocated JWV 702 because this was the closest to the Maalan too, just beyond the overwater Spa, not much in it time wise.
We loved everything about Meeru. Even parts in the middle where the staff live and hang out and work goes on. I know other people have complained about how rugged it is in the middle and complained about the generator, but I feel that is all part of the experience. For the island to function properly this has to be so. x

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Angie102a
Hi Stewart (sorry both, spelled it correctly this time!) and Julie,

Thanks for that information, i will remember the number for when we go in December. I cant wait to go back to Meeru it was so lovely. It was an experience that we will never forget.

I really enjoyed the snorkling as well, i had tried it in Egypt and couldnt get the hang of it at all, towards the end of the holiday i managed to do it and it was brilliant so cant wait to go back and have a proper go.

I agree about the middle of the island, we walked around it a few times and didnt find it any bother at all. We even had a game of golf while we were there! that was an experience Laughing

Thanks once again for the info.

Angie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote
stewart&julie
Hi Angie, I know what you mean regarding the snorkelling, I only plucked up the courage to have a go 2 days before we left and loved it. Only wished I had tried earlier. One thing we didn't take but would next time is fins/flippers! They were $74 dollars in the gift shop there for Stewarts size! Shocked Glad we took our own snorkels and goggles!

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
stewart&julie
Thanks for your comments Mark, I must admit we had said from what we could see on one of our daily round the island walks, that the JBV's also looked very nice. Similar decor to the WV's.

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
alicialovespaul
Glad you had an amazing time Very Happy We have stayed in both 511 and 702, we loved both the rooms, but have now come to the conclusion that we would sleep on the beach just as long as we are back there Very Happy . We are due to go back in october and have opted for a beach villa this time. Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
stewart&julie
Here! here! Alicia & Paul, we're with you on that one, if it was a choice of going or not going again, we would sleep on the beach too! You lucky devils going again soon. We're sure you'll have another great time. Already sending hubby out doing overtime to start the next Meeru fund! Laughing X

[/url]
Countdown to meeru 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
lynnandy
Hi Stuart & Julie.
so glad to read your reviews and i am glad you liked the JWV my husband and i stayed in the JWV in the 700,s we were in 713 in october 2008. and we always said we would go back for our 20th wedding anniversary which is in march of next year we have booked the JWV again and i am going to email meeru with a request to stay in the 700,s again this time my sister and her husband are going with us it will be their first time so they will experiance the beautiful island of meeru.
4 months 3 weeks 3days till next visit cant wait.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
paul&rachel
Hi all ... can you tell me do they normally give you where u ask to be ... as in we would like to be in the 700's i think ..

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports