Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Report from May 2012 with video clips
Report from May 2012 with video clips 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
swordfishradio
Booked via Thomson (UK)
Flights with Emirates

Resort Transfer:

Transfer to Meeru is via speedboat which takes about 50 minutes or so. The boat is air conditioned, relatively comfortable and the free bottle of water is a bonus to cool down after the customary rush through Male airport.

Reception:

Check in was an easy affair, sign your paperwork, get your keys and you then get shown to your room, luggage took a fair while to join us. Check out again was easy with no dramas. The reception staff speak great English so you donít have to try and converse in Maldivian!

Accommodation:

We chose to stay in a Beach Villa and we were not really bothered about its location either. We were allocated 223 which sits on the south east part of the island. Itís quite sheltered here so if you want a breeze then check the map online and request one on the west. The rooms are fairly good with all the standard stuff you would expect. Things are getting a little tired in them now and the island have already started to address this which is a bonus. You are allocated sun beds with your room numbers on them so no need to get your towels out early!

Island Surrounds:

Meeru is a large island with great beaches all around. The ground staff do an excellent job ensuring it remains looking good. Dead palm branches are removed quickly and an army of staff are out on the beaches first thing sweeping anything that might have washed up overnight. Sadly, the staff are not helped by lazy smokers who use the beach as an ash tray, shame on you.

Staff:

On the whole the staff appear attentive and cheerful. Occasionally you might have to give some of the bar staff a nudge to kick them into gear. Waiters seem relatively happy, itís very rewarding to get a smile out of some of them now and again.
I must point out that they are cared for in their spare time with some excellent facilities. Credit to the management for looking after them all.

Food:

The food was a big tick in the box for me. I always found something I wanted to go back for. There was plenty of it, plenty of choice and credit to the current head Chef who is ensuring that the standard is maintained.

Summary:

Meeru is an excellent choice for either first timers or repeat Maldives addicts. Itís no wonder that the island is at full capacity all year round. I would certainly go back in the future.
There is plenty of things going on for those who wish to keep busy and for those who donít want to keep busy then well errrr, there is plenty of that to.

My only gripes are to ban smoking inside the bars. This is done in the restaurant so why not the bars? And maybe review some of the prices! Some things are so vastly overpriced that you will chuckle at it!

Meeru is well worth a visit!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL77946F1AA2549BBD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Lee Frankham
Excellent Report. Glad you had a good time

Lee

[/url]
Re: Report from May 2012 with video clips 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Quote:
My only gripes are to ban smoking inside the bars. This is done in the restaurant so why not the bars?

I agree with you on this one....even if they stopped it at the actuall bar itself would be a bonus

thanks for taking the time out to put you experiance on here

steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Kath
Thanks for the report and video clips. Really good, glad you had a good time.
Kath

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Good feedback and the point about the smoking in the bars needs to be addressed. Their sister Island Vilamendhoo has a no smoking policy in restaurants and bars so no excuse really.

Great videos Very Happy Which video camera did you use? The stabilisation on it has done a good job, good quality footage too.

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
swordfishradio
Hi Casey,

The camera is a small Samsung S10. Not a bad camera, suffers a bit from motion blur but on the whole its OK. YouTube does an excellent stabilisation process and has made some of me past vids look truly brilliant.

On the Smoking point, we wondered if there would be any effect on making the entire island a no smoking resort? Would it still achieve full capacity on a regular basis?
smoking 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
MichelleW
As a smoker I really hope they don't make it a no smoking island, but do agree with coments about smoking in bars, as there is plenty of outdoor space with ashtrays. This is what we have to do at home so really shouldnt be too hard to do anywhere else.

I actually believe its down to people being considerate, not whether they are smokers or not and unfortunately you will always get inconsiderate people around!

Smoking and drinking alcohol is a personal choice and and I personally believe both are bad habits even though I partake in both (in moderation) but to take them away would be infringing on our human right of free choice.

Sorry if I am on my orange box with this one!

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
soobs
I agree it should be banned in the bars not a total smoking free island - you may as well ban the booze as well and stop calling it a holiday.

What we do need to do is take care not to let it affect other people and ensure we dispose in the correct place.

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Really enjoyed your report and loved the video clips! Glad you enjoyed your Meeru experience, welcome to the wanna go back club Smile

A & F

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018
Report from May 2012 with video clips 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports