Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Honeymoon trip report - October 2012
Honeymoon trip report - October 2012 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
eltonswig
Having used this site extensively to inform out choices for our honeymoon to Meeru I thought it only fair to write a little trip report and give a little something back.

We flew from Manchester on 3rd October, via Dubai with Emirates. Thanks to First Choice cancelling their Manchester flights we ended up with Emirates as second choice but for £600 less than FC. What a result that was. I am never flying with anyone other than Emirates again. Their hospitality, entertainment, leg room and ambiance is second to none. The airbus A380 was lovely. Aiming to make it up to top deck next time though! Cool

We used the Escape lounge at Manchester Airport. A nice relaxing start to the honeymoon. Well recommended, nice and quiet, comfy chairs, bacon cobs, fruits, sandwiches, beers, tea and coffees and a final charge of the mobiles. (And an opportunity for a final tweak of my Dream Team.)

Dubai airport isn’t all it’s cracked up to be in my opinion – but then neither of us like shopping at the best of times! Had a three hour stop over on the way out which went very quickly once we’d had a fight through the crowds in the shops for half an hour and a drink or two in the oyster bar.

Arrival on Meeru was lovely and efficient, and we were in our room before we knew it. We had requested a BV between 201-207 (thanks to advice on here) and got room 203. I’m sure everyone says this regardless of where they are, but we think this was the perfect spot. A nice coverage of trees made for a welcome shady decking area all day, the beach to the right of the Wok is the best bit on the island in my opinion. Lovely soft white sand, quiet and the seas was calm and still. The wok also handy for a lunchtime drink and for a take out beer whilst we were getting ready in the evening.

It was noticed that the beaches on the East side of the island had much more coral on the shore line making for an ‘ouchy’ entrance/exit to the sea. The current to the left of the Wok was quite strong also.

We went on a few trips:
Sunset cruise; was lovely. Highlight being the dolphins of which we saw fleeting glimpses.
Glass bottom boat: This was booked as a bit of encouragement for my wife to see what see would have been missing if we didn’t go snorkelling. We had a small speedboat for just the two of us and our guide. We saw much more there actually than when snorkelling and it was great to have someone point out what and where the fish were. The real highlight though was when we were joined by a pod of dolphins. Our guide estimated that there was somewhere between 50-100 of them. A real highlight of the holiday was seeing them swim underneath the boat and then flip through the water. We even got a few back flips. Shocked They were happily playing round us for 10-15 mins when all of a sudden they all just disappeared never to be seen again!
Snorkelling: We went on the snorkelling trip twice. My wife wasn’t so confident in the deep and had a lifejacket provided. Second time i was lucky enough to see a turtle swimming past me. Hopefully the photos come out; I got a bit excited and wound the underwater camera on the wrong way! Sad
Robinson Crusoe: Our favourite trip. We were driven out to a deserted sandbank in the middle of the ocean and left for the afternoon with a parasol, a crate full of cold drinks and a crate full of way too much food. There was some good snorkelling just off the island as well. The three hours flew by and if there was a trip we would have done again, it would have been this.

In the second week we upgraded to a JWV, number 333. Before seeing this we were more than happy with our BV. However this room was luxury. In fact so much so that we became reclusive, wanting to spend as much time in there as possible! Snorkelling and sunbathing on the front deck in the morning, moving round to the back garden in the afternoon as the sun moved round then a bit of snorkelling round the small reef by the Spa. We had a Jacuzzi every evening and evening usually with a nice cold beer or a bottle of champagne. Real luxury which made our honeymoon all the more special.

The food was excellent. My wife is veggie and never struggled. The Asian Wok was excellent. So much so, we went back there for our last night. The hot rock was a slight disappointment but im still glad we tried it.

Our last day we booked a garden room for the day. Our transfer wasn’t till 19:30 so we thought we could cram in a bonus day on the beach before departing. Wasn’t to be though: The heavens opended and it belted it down all afternoon. We had to wade back to our room, ankle deep in puddles! The garden room was pretty good. Inside was lovely, all be it with a very basic bathroom. The down side to these rooms is the proximity of the adjacent rooms. I wouldn’t like to sit out on a balcony and have a beer in the evening. It felt like your neighbours were on top of you.

What we didn’t realise at the time of booking is that we had booked a day time transfer. We flew at 23:00 from Male but Meeru wanted to transfer us on the 14:30 boat, meaning an 8hr wait at the airport. We moved onto the 19:30 boat at a cost of $50 per person. Personally, i dont see why we should have been charged for that, but anyway, we were glad to get a few extra hours on Meeru, even if it was raining! Very Happy

We booked Dubai lounge for a 5 hour stop over on the way back. Whilst it was nice to have a comfy chair for 40 winks, it wasn’t a patch on the Manchester lounge. It was noisy, messy, and over booked. Not recommended.

All in all though, Meeru was the perfect place for our honeymoon and we wouldn’t have changed anything about it. Just got to work out how to get back now.... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Great trip report, lots of information especially the comparison of flying with Emirates to FC and the difference in accommodation types and beach areas. So glad your honymoon was all that you hoped it would be on lovely Meeru, thanks for taking the time to post Smile

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
karyn
It sounds like you had a wonderful honeymoon and that a return visit could well be on the cards ...

We're going back in February for our 2nd visit - there were things that we didn't get around to doing on visit one which we'll try to experience on visit two. The Robinson Crusoe trip sounds fab. What sort of food and drink did they provide you with? Could you see land from where they left you, or were you literally in the middle of nowhere?

We only went to the Asian Wok once and we'll definitely be eating there a couple of times next year ... I'm still dreaming about our meal there now as it really was one of the loveliest dining experiences we've had.

Did you ask to upgrade to a JWV or were you offered an upgrade at a reduced rate whilst you were there? I think we'd quite like to try a few nights in a JWV (we've booked a WV) but there weren't any upgrades on offer when we went this year.

Wow, two trip reports on the forum in one day ... my excitement levels are in overdrive! bounce

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
eltonswig
We actually asked about upgrading the day we got there and was told that there were no room available. The very next day we got a letter in our post post gives various prices for upgrades. I think we paid $195 per night to upgrade from BV to a JWV. Pricey, but well worth it.

The Robinson Crusoe island was about 1/2 a mile (?!) from a neighbouring island. It was about 15 mins from Meeru. You could see Meeru in the distance. We were left with a real mix of food. Hot fishcakes, a stir fry, bread and cheese, a variety of sandwiches, fruit platters, cakes. All way too much to eat in three hours Laughing In the cool box were cokes, 7ups, fantas, beers, sodas, waters. Again, way too much for two people to consume! I really recomend it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Kath
Sounds like a great trip, so glad you enjoyed!
like you, we are glad we did the Hotrock but wouldnt necessarily repeat the experience. Too much like hot and hard work cooking your own food from a 480f 'plate'!
Thanks for the report.
Kath

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Thanks for the report, always nice to read about other people's trips.

We always stay in rooms 201 - 206, and think it's one of the best spots, great shallow water to the right of the wok which is great for wading, and very safe for our two little one's.

When my husband and I were courting (very old fashioned word) we went to Baros in 2002, fell in love with the Maldives and are returning to Meeru in April next year for our 12th trip, and hubby's 50th birthday....that's the only problem really, once smitten, nothing else will do!!!

Hope you get back there soon

Deborah

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
helen m
Thanks for taking the time for your report.It's always enjoyable to hear about other people's experiences.
Sounds like you had a wonderful honeymoon Laughing
I agree about Emirates being a great airline to fly with but think it unlikely we will ever reach the dizzy heights of upstairs in the A380 Crying or Very sad but one can dream!
Your only problem now will be how to deal with the bite of the Meeru bug and work out when to plan your next trip Laughing

[/url]
Honeymoon trip report - October 2012 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports