Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » "The Lounge" » Getting to Gatwick...
Getting to Gatwick... 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Tommi
Hi guys, it's been a long time since I was last here! Razz

We were meant to return to Meeru last year but our plans hit a very expensive snag, and had to cancel Sad

But we're now looking to book for two weeks in October this year! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

As you know, flights from Manchester are no more, so we need to fly from Gatwick. Unfortunately, as we live in the North West, it's going to be a bit of an effort to get "down saaarrffff" and I would really like some advice.

I've tried searching for flights from Liverpool\Manchester\Birmingham to Gatwick but there doesn't seem to be any? Is it too early to book domestic flights or are there none?

The train is another option, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about travelling by train on a Sunday, with delays and cancellations due to maintenance. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Would it be better to travel down on the Saturday and stay in a hotel that evening? I vaguely recall reading about others on here who tend to do this?

Hope you guys can help, I'd really appreciate your advice. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Chill
Would you not be better flying from Manchester with Emirates, I know you have to change planes in Dubai but might be quicker and cheaper!

Check skyscanner.net

Chill

You Dont Need Eyes To See You Need Vision!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi,

Couldn't agree more with the last post...flying Emirates would by far be the best bet...we always go Emirates, they are a good airling and the stop in Dubai is only a couple of hours..much better having a wander round duty free there, than trudging all the way to Gatwick and back.

Good luck, hope you sort something...we are in Meeru in October, so may see you there!

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Ash & Jess
Hi,

We recently went on honeymoon to meeru on the 6th of jan which was a Sunday and live on the wirral and had to fly from gatwick. After a lot of research we got the train down from Liverpool lime street 12 if you book 12 weeks in advance and its 2 hours with a couple of stops maximum you can go from chester Manchester Crewe with virgin, we then had to walk a short distance from euston to st Pancras 10mins max and then a direct train to gatwick and exactly the same for the return journey. We had no problems what so ever and I would certainly do it again. The other option we considered was travelling down the day before and getting a budget hotel for the evening. Hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask

Ashley