Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Belated thoughts of our trip in April.
Belated thoughts of our trip in April. 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi all,

Bit nervous about writing a report, as i'm sure it won't be that interesting, but just having a sit down, before 'mad wednesday' strikes...(kids and their after-school clubs!!)

Anyway, I digress....this was our 7th trip to Meeru and the 12th(i think) to the Maldives...this trip however was special as my husband was 50 while we were away, we wnet for three weeks, and kicked off with three days in Dubai. Just touch on that...Dubai grows on you, we have been four times now, and it gets better and better...really good too for breaking up the journey for us as we were travelling with two children! We ventured out, went to the top of the Burg Kalifa, did some shopping in the Mall (wow, wow wow) but the show stopper for us was the Dubai Fountains. Sittinig outside having a great meal, facing the lake and fountains, and watching the musical displays every half an hour. If you go to Dubai, would really recommend it.

Anyway, after three lovely days in Dubai, it was off the the main event...18days in Meeru....we booked the holiday a year in advance, and think that I counted down virtually every week. By the time we boarded the plane, I thought that I might actually be sick.....however the lady sitting in front of me, was up and down for most of the flight being sick, and when she was sitting down had her head in a paper bag....I forgot about my queasiness!!!!!

Usual arrival, through customs fairly quickly, 20minutes wait...then we were away...even though we had only travelled from Dubai, we all fell asleep and woke up just before the Wok came into view.

We had requested our room to be between 201 and 206, as the current is not so bad in this area, this was not possible and were were put in 224, until the next morning, when we could move to our preferred area. 224 was rather nice, with a lovely view, and had it just been us, we would have stayed...however after foing in the sea here, it was obvious that the current was really strong and there was no way we could allow our children in the water at all without us. Our two are 10 and 6 and although good swimmers, you just wouldn't risk it.

Overall, Meeru hadn't really changed a great deal, some things were better, others had gone a bit downhill. The new pool is stunning, it really is, and throughout the day, I really get it with the day beds etc etc, but at night, we couldn't see the attraction. That's not just because we wern't travelling as a couple, even if we had been on our own, I still wouldn't want to spend evenings nearly lying down....we thought it was uncomfortable too. It was a shame that the outside chairs we just functional too. If the decking area had the same comfy (but upright) seats as the Kakuni that would have been perfect! We felt that it also dulled the atmospere a bit....in previous years when there was the candle-light live music, we (and others) would be up having a dance...this time, I think most people were asleep!!! We, however did find a bit of decking and tapped our feet!!!

Our other negative was the Kakuni Bar...it's never rerally been a favourite with us in the past, however the service this time was appalling!!! On our first night we went there as it was crab racing night....after waiting 15minutes someone came over...I asked for a Bombay Bellini...he was curt (bordering on rude) and said, we don't do those...I settled on a soft drink as I was tired and couldn't be bothered to persue it....two nights later we returned to the Kakuni for the disco night, only to see that 'Bombay Bellini' was cocktail of the day!! I think he just assumed that we were AI, and this drink is not included...in my opinion, he should have checked before being so curt! We met a lovely family whilst there and ended up in the Kakuni on another evening...we were there nearly two hours, and were not approached once by anyone for drinks refills....my husband had to keep going to the bar and order...service was really slow, and an hour before the bar was due to close, they were cleaning up and hosing the sand around us, and another group who were in the bar!! We thought overall that this bar is really lacking, and went there when there was a special event on. Luckily when this happened, they brought over waiters from the Dhoni bar, who were in complete contrast....friendly, chatty, attentive...really superb!

There were however loads of positives, the chaps, as said at the Dhoni Bar were great, my children still talk about them, and keep in contact with a couple of the guys, and can't wait to see them in October. The main restaurant, seems to have improved again....service, food were great....Arona, one of the head chefs knew that we were vegetarian and constantly came out and asked if we had enough to eat, offered to make us anything we liked...great service. Our daughter only struggled one night, and asked for something else, and we always found something lovely to eat. We did however request the Hot marmalade pudding as we all love it...HJ I know you were there the same time as us, and I can honestly say that the Marmalade was pudding was on the menu by special request....they actually did it again just before we left too.

My husbands birthday was due to be on Full Moon, however this was moved to the following day...I asked our waiter therefore if we could sit outside on his birthday evening...on arrival, two tables had been put together and decorated in the most beautiful way...it really brought tears to my eyes as it was so lovely and thoughtful.

After dinner, we went over the the Dhoni bar, for a couple of drinks, and Adam, one of the waiters knew it was Marks birthday, and had set up a lovely table on the beach, again decorated beautifully with flowers, and had got a small chocolate cake sent over from male....wow, what a lovely thing to do!!!

The following evening was the full moon dinner, which as always was wonderful. Coconut prawns,,,mmmmmm can almost take them. Best of all, we were told that our children wouldn't be charged for the evening (I know it may have had something to do with us having champagne, but a really nice touch, especially as my daughter decided she wasn't hungry, and only ate bread!

One last thing that happened....are you still awake??? We decided to try the glass bottom boat as we had heard good reports....off we went, really good, saw a turtle...very excited, weather was really calm, and the guide pointed out all sorts of fish to us....couldn't beleive that those nice bright blus fish are a favourite meal with Maldivians...wouldn't have dreamed you could eat them!!! Anyway, on our way back to shore, we saw something black in the water....as we approached, we realised it was a turtle, caught in a fishing net!!!!! We stopped, and the chap lifted the poor thing out of the water...it was completely tangled up, and would have never got free....slowly, between the three of us, we managed to get the net free...one of the turtle's legs had some deep welts, but out chap said they would soon heal.... so we then put the turtly back into the water and off it went....what a priviledge to be able to help, and be able to touch one...it wat another hightlight for us. (we do have photo's of this, and I will get my husband to upload them if anyone is interested)

Thanks for reading, hope you are still awake....could go on and on, but I won't, all in all a great time, and can't wait for our return in October.

Cheers

Deborah

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
marcmc
great stuff - would love to see the photos.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
sams
Must have been a lovely feeling to know you had saved a turtle's life that day Smile

I really enjoyed your report, thanks for taking the time to write it Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
gailmail65
So nice you rescued the turtle. Would live to see the pictures.

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Chill
Great report, thanks for taking the time to post it

Chill

[/url]

You Dont Need Eyes To See You Need Vision!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote
debandmark
I will get photo's of the Turtle Rescue uploaded...will have to get my husband to do it one evening as i'm hopeless with things like that...but yes it was an amazing experience.....at the top of the list I would say of 'things youv'e done'.

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
lboylesl
Smile Lovely report, glad you enjoyed your husband's 50th on the island. I had mine there in March....what a way to celebrate. I envy you getting to see the turtles!!!! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Loved the report Deborah Very Happy

We always transit in Dubai on the way to the Maldives and we should really make an effort to get outside and see the place for a few days.
Agreed on BV 201 - 206, these were our favourites also. As for the service in the Kakuni..unacceptable really in respect to some aspects of the service. Having just returned from Maafushivaru, we couldn't drink quick enough for them to be ready with the next one! But then on such a small and intimate island the max amount of guests to serve usually totalled no more than twenty or so each night.

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
rickc
Thanks for taking the time to report. Some interesting observations on the recent changes to the Dhoni Bar etc from a 'regular' visitor to Meeru - a slightly different 'take' compared to some other people's comments. Good job we're all different.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Freckles
Thanks for the report, it's always nice to read them.

We had problems in the Kakuni last year, they started clearing up around us and damping down the sand, at 11.45 pm we were asked to leave so that could close Shocked We were not impressed with the staff there and complained to the management. It didn't spoil our enjoyment of the holiday but we didn't bother going back there either. Might give it another try in November and see if there is any improvement.

[/url]
Turtle rescue! 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
As promised, here are the pics of the 'dramatic' rescue
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=520678151330402&set=a.520677901330427.1073741825.100001646658777&type=1&theater[/img]

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
karyn
Excellent report and what a great feeling to have saved the life of the turtle. I couldn't access the photos from the link you've posted though.

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
What a brilliant read. Thank you Smile.

For info, sadly unable to access photos with the link though, as per Karyn.

HJ
Belated thoughts of our trip in April. 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports