Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » New Year on Meeru
New Year on Meeru 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Right, this is my third attempt at a trip report, the computer has crashed and lost everything, so here's hoping....

I have meant to post a report before now, however we moved literally a week after getting back from holiday, and what with the new house, new area and new schools, things have been a bit hectic!!

Well we flew Christmas Day from Heathrow, we expected everything to be very quite and low key at the airport and on the flight...wrong...the car park was full, Heathrow very busy, everything open as usual and our Sri-Lanken flight full. All thoughts of stretching out on spare seats and having a good nights sleep dashed!! The flight there and back was not good...awful food, rotten entertainment, old planes and it look a long time via Colombo, but this really was just a means to an end, so no problem really, although we would be pushed to go that route again!!

When we arrived in Male after our endless flight, we were disappointed that we had to wait over an hour for our boat, luckily I had travel Ludo, so the kids were entertained, happily that was our only disappointment for the whole trip!!

On arrival, we were greeted by Stephanie, the Kuoni Rep like old friends. We had met her in October (we had a sneaky week in half term!) and as promised she had arranged for us to have room 206...we were delighted!!

The thing that we noticed straight away was all the Christmas Decorations..wow they were everywhere!! If there is ever a tinsel shortage, trust me it's in Meeru, even the Hand Gel Station was covered in it!!

For the first couple of days we settled into the usual 'Meeru' routine, with added 'glitz' everytime we walked around for dinner,. One morning the children went on a Treasure Hunt, Stephanie took our two children off so that we had an hour or so to ourselves to have a nice sunbathe. A couple of days later a 'family sandcastle' completion...everyone won!! Our prize (arranged by Stephanie) was a Dolphin Cruise on New Years Day...lovely as we were on FB!

Every day when we visited the Dhoni Pool, we could see the stage being erected. It was looking amazing, although we had to laugh...the chaps building it had no safety harnesses, no hats, and no shoes...hmm wonder what health and safety would make of it!!! All of the staff that we spoke to were very excited, and kept telling us how wonderful it was all going to be, so we, along with many others where whipped up into a frenzy of excitement.

New Years Eve dawned beautiful and sunny, it was my birthday, so our ever wonderful Stephanie came and took our children off to breakfast, and we had breakfast on the balcony...a real treat and first for us!!!! Stephanie took the children to play in the pool till lunch time, then it was all off to the beach again for the 'Meeru Olympics' Now we thought it was for the children...oh no, my husband and I were hopeless at the three legged race, sack race and egg and spoon race, but we did prove surprisingly good at eating a melon on our knees with our hands behind our backs..we came 2nd!!

So with sunset approaching, it was off the Dhoni bar, drinks, listening to chill out sounds from the DJ, and to be honest just sitting there thinking, this is amazing!!!!! Then a quick nip back to the room, changed into our party gear and off to the gala dinner...wow wow wow, all the tables were outside, under really lovely soft lights and the food, well, seeing was believing, it was wonderful...I cried!!!!

After dinner, dancing on the sand...again, what an experience, we all loved it, it was great to see our children being able to join in everything, in a safe environment...there also seemed to be a lot of teenagers there too having a great time.

We lasted till 1am, but by then our daughter was dead on her feet, so we decided to call it a night. When we got back to our room, our bed had been decorated for my birthday, and the was a chocolate cake too...perfect.

New Years day was nearly as good....chill out day, sunset cruise, dolphins, then a live band on the stage in the evening...so there we were having another dance.

The following evening we ate at the wok to celebrate my birthday as a family, wonderful as usual, however Fernando the Food and Beverage Manager had sent over a bottle of bubbles, and a large chocolate cake. The best birthday, ever!

In addition to all these many great things that happened, we went to the wok at the beginning of our holiday and our table was beautifully decorated..in addition though Ramzy, our waiter who we know quite well, being the serial repeaters that we are had got our son a Maldives Football shirt with his name printed on the back, and our daughter a wooded model of a traditional boat. Adam, who is a waiter at the Dhoni bar, got me a birthday present (beautifully wrapped) of 6 little Maldivian glasses..they are really lovely!! The kindness shown was quite overwhelming and humbling, both chaps are expecting their first children this year, so I'm on the lookout for something very special to take with us when we return in May.

Sorry this is a bit long, many of you may well be asleep by now, but really in a nutshell what I wanted to say was that 'yes' it is worth the extra to go at New Year, and for us it lived up to every expectation we had, and all the hype.

Well done Meeru, what a fantastic holiday, we can't wait to come back in May for our 10th trip!!! We only wish we could go again this year for New Year, but we already have two trips booked for this year, and what with the move, it just isn't possible. Roll on next year though, we will definitely be back for the New Year celebrations...you won't be able to keep us away!!!!

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
camwil
Hi glad to seee you had a great time and it is nice to get a report which confirms the meeru magic!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
sams
Great report, it all sounded wonderful. It is no wonder so many of us want to return again and again Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Really enjoyed reading this.....certainly worth the wait. Interesting to read that Sri Lankan was as bad as I remember. I'm still on the medication from the food poisoning two years ago. At least the holiday more than made up for it Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Really enjoyed reading your trip report Deb & Mark, made very special by all the staff at Meeru, it is what they do best.
Ann & Forbes Very Happy

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Hi Deb,
Great synopsis of your New Year trip Very Happy
Seems like you had a perfect birthday for sure and your family sound as if they had a ball also!
10th trip coming up..WOW! Paradise found for you Very Happy

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi Casey,

Thanks, it's nice to hear that people have enjoyed reading my report....always worry that it's not that good!!

Meeru really is a great place...good for couples and families alike, after nine trips there, we can honestly say we never get bored!!! Bring on May..we have two nights in Dubai on the way back this time so that the 4am wake up call to come home won't be such a killer!!!

Deb

[/url]
New Year on Meeru 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports