Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » So sad to be home
So sad to be home 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
SUEC
We arrived home from our 6th visit last Thursday and are already missing it and looking on the internet to see if we can go again soon. Once again we had e-mailed to request a beach villa in the top 200's and got 241 which was great. Had Mohammad as our room boy , the same as last year, and he look after us really well always asking if we needed anything.

The weather was very mixed for the 1st week but settled down a bit for the 2nd. But some days you were glad of the rain as the heat was very intense even when cloudy and you had to make sure you had protection on at all times. The days followed our usual pattern of eating, beach/snorkelling in the morning, eating, infinity pool in the afternoon, eating and drinking !!!!

This year all the cocktails were included on the all inclusive plan and we worked our way down the list. Our favourites were 'African Rambo' - dark rum, crème de cacao, Kahlua topped up with cream - just like an irish coffee and 'Lets party' - vodka, red bull and sparling wine - yummy. Its no wonder that with all those cocktails plus the wonderful food that we both put weight on. Its was a good job that we had dropped a few pounds beforehand.

As previously the food choice was excellent and we really liked the Chinese corner. We were in the Farivalhu restaurant which were all the Chinese guests were ( they are put in the 300's and 200's) and most of these were rude and pushed in front of you - no manners at all. We found then quite funny to watch as all they seemed to do was take lots of photo's and wear matching outfits !!

At night we would go up to the Uthuru bar where we would prop up the bar chatting to Rana , Peny and Mathy as they were busy making up the cocktails. We first meet Rana and Peny 7 years ago and go to which ever bar they are working at as they really make our holiday a bit more special.We did find that this year the bars did not seem as busy at night as in previous years - think this could be down to the fact that the Chinese don't drink and are only on FB basis.

Unfortunately this year my husband hurt his foot a couple of weeks before and was unable to walk very far so had to forgo our usual pre-breakfast walk round the island. We really missed this and I'm sure this is why we put weight on. Because of the foot injury we had to use the buggy service for the first time and it was a much appreciated . Most nights when we went from reception up to the Uthuru bar we had a driver, Silva, who was a lovely man and he would collects us and takes us home when we had had enough drink !!! When he saw us during the day he would always stop the buggy and ask if we wanted a lift anywhere, so thoughtful.

We found that the English were in the minority this year and this was most noticeable in the library, hardly any English books left there. This maybe because people now tend to use a Kindle but on the other language shelves there was more choice.

The highlight of this years holiday has to be the sunset cruise, we had the first trip cancelled due to bad weather but on our second try the weather was perfect. The dolphins came out to play and were spectacular, there must have been about 50 swimming and jumping between the 3 boats. They really like to show off, doing back flips and somersaults - amazing.

We hope to go back soon as it feels like home to us now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Thank you for posting your trip report. It was a good to read that you had a good time. At least the foot injury didn't affect the cocktail drinking Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
karyn
Thanks for an excellent report. It's gone and got me all excited! bounce

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report SUEC. Sounds like you had a great time which, of course, is not too difficult on Meeru. Just wondered if you went to the repeaters drinks and nibbles and if so, whether there was any news on anything coming from the 'Management' ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
swordfishradio
Thanks for sharing your holiday with us, sounds like they have maintained the high standards!

We also found the Chinese amusing with their constant photo taking. One day we found ourselves in the middle of a photo session and they whooped with delight when we gave the victory sign as they took our photos!

Its a funny old world!

Maayafushi 4, Kuredu 1, Dhonveli 1, Reethi 1, Meeru 4, Meeru booked for December 2018

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Really good to read your trip report......we don't get many these days and it means a lot to many people.........thanks for sharing.

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
Colin & Jenny
Great to read your trip report.

Saving like mad for our next trip Very Happy

Cheers

Embudu July 2015
Vilamendhoo July 2016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Lovely trip report, we have just returned too from Meeru so will have to do a trip report when the jet lag has worn off a bit...was running on the treadmill this morning at 6am, which is scary!!
Just wanted to answer a question about anything new....the rooms now have quilts instead of sheets...we were so pleased about this as I was always cold with the AC on and blankets just didn't really do it. We were also told that Rose wine will be in the rooms on the AI package from 1st Nov. Also though the 8% tax increased to 12% on 1 November. The other change from this date which was good for us is that the age of the second child in a room has increase from 14 to 15!
I'm sure there was something else, but can't remember off the top of my head! I'll re-post when I remember!!!

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Deb
I am so excited about the quilt news. I too got too cold at night- ian is always fine - so I end up needing the blanket. I'm looking forward to a cosy night's sleep.

Jo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Ann & Forbes wrote:
Really good to read your trip report......we don't get many these days and it means a lot to many people.........thanks for sharing.

Maybe if we speak chinese, there will be more reports elsewhere we can read Laughing

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
debandmark wrote:
Lovely trip report, we have just returned too from Meeru so will have to do a trip report when the jet lag has worn off a bit...was running on the treadmill this morning at 6am, which is scary!!
Just wanted to answer a question about anything new....the rooms now have quilts instead of sheets...we were so pleased about this as I was always cold with the AC on and blankets just didn't really do it. We were also told that Rose wine will be in the rooms on the AI package from 1st Nov. Also though the 8% tax increased to 12% on 1 November. The other change from this date which was good for us is that the age of the second child in a room has increase from 14 to 15!
I'm sure there was something else, but can't remember off the top of my head! I'll re-post when I remember!!!

Rose wine, how VERY useful Cool

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
JoanneLorna wrote:
Deb
I am so excited about the quilt news. I too got too cold at night- ian is always fine - so I end up needing the blanket. I'm looking forward to a cosy night's sleep.

Jo

Yes I agree very exciting, just like at home when we get 10 degrees and its too hot and you kick the quilt off then you get cold yep it will be just like home Wink

[/url]

So sad to be home 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports