Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world! » A LONG SHOT - MAURITIUS
A LONG SHOT - MAURITIUS 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
rickc
A long shot - just wondered if anyone has experience of Mauritius as an alternative to the Maldives. Anyone been there, experienced good hotels etc ? Been recommended the Zilwa Attitude. Maybe I should have asked this inThe Lounge.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
karyn
Hi Rick - I hope you're both well?

A friend of mine went to Mauritius and didn't like it but feels that perhaps she stayed on the wrong part of the island. She's also been to the Maldives and says there's no comparison (but is that because she didn't like the resort in Mauritius?) I'm seeing her this week, so will ask her where she stayed and get back to you.

No dangling next year?? Crying or Very sad

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
rickc
Hi Karyn. We're both okay and hopefully you and Roy are as well. Thanks, any feedback would be useful. And as for dangling next year, never say never I suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
karyn
Hi Rick

Roy and I are both very well thanks and counting down the days until our return to Meeru!

I've seen my friend this morning who went to Mauritius. She didn't like it but stayed on the west side of the island and wasn't familiar with the northern resort you mentioned. She said she wouldn't return and feels that the Maldives have spoilt her!

Having said that, I know someone else who honeymooned in Mauritius this year and fell in love with it which just shows, it's all a matter of opinion isn't it? (Mind you, this friend hasn't visited the Maldives!)

She did say to be careful what time of the year you choose to visit - she went in February and it rained every day. She wrongly assumed that the weather would be similar to the Maldives during February but checked on her return home and found out that February and March are the rainiest months in Mauritius!

I've googled the resort you mentioned and I have to say, it looks idyllic!

I don't think I've helped much have I??!!

Best wishes to you both and keep us posted on potential dangling activities Laughing

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
soobs
We went years ago after having been to Meeru and a couple of other islands in the Maldives and had a lovely holiday, we went on Xmas day evening for 2 weeks, saw very little rain it was windy though and can be depending on what part of the island you stay.
We had one of the best NY eves we have ever had with a fantastic gala evening.

It's not the Maldives but then no where is like the Maldives, we thought it made a nice change, we hired a car for a couple of days so saw a lot of the island, would we go back? yes we would, but only if it was cheaper than Meeru.

Meeru is out of our price range at the moment unfortunately, we have been cruising in the Caribbean for the last few years it gives us better value for money.

The people in Mauritius are lovely and couldn't do enough for us, we met some lovely people it was a lovely holiday it's just not the same as the Maldives so don't expect it to be or you will be disappointed. Hope this helps.

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Thanks for that Karyn. Just shows that you have to do your research ! Don't think you can better the Maldives once you've found that bit of heaven there but sometimes you have to look around a bit. Will keep our options open and if we go ahead we will explore dangling possibilities but can't imagine they could compare with the Wok at about 5.30pm onwards....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Thanks Soobs. It seems like the people out there are built on the same lines as those who look after everyone so well on Meeru. Trip advisor reports consistently refer to the excellent staff etc. Will think further about what to do next....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
SUEC
We have been to Mauritius twice, Once 12 years ago ( before we discovered Meeru) and stayed at a 5 star hotel on the west coast ( I think it was called Les Pavillions) This was so good and we really liked it and thought we would go again many times but then we went to Meeru and as you know Meeru is nearly perfect. We tried a few other places ( Mexico, Dom Rep, Thailand) but always came back to Meeru. Then 18 months ago we retired and decided to go on a few last minute breaks ( cheap ones) and found a deal with Mercury to Mauritius staying in a 3 star hotel. This hotel was basic but we still enjoyed the holiday. If we had the money Meeru wins all the time but it is getting more and more expensive and as we now want more than one holiday a year we may not be able to afford to go back. Just got back yesterday from Meeru which could be our last visit but I am going to work on OH to see if we can go for perhaps 10days next year to try and keep costs down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
soobs
we stayed 3* think it was called Silver Beach it was basic, food was nice buffet alternate nights served with a choice other nights beach a bit shingly needed water shoes but as said a lovely change

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
rickc
Thanks soobs and SUEC. Info appreciated and interesting...
Mauritius & Zilwa 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
gaztab
Hi,

Not really a contributor to this site but do pop in now and again for updates on Meeru as we went their a number of years ago, so I like to keep up to date with what's happening with the island and as this forum helped me with some good advice prior to going to Meeru I thought I would respond to your post.

Anyway back to the subject in hand - Mauritius & Zilwa, we went to Mauritius and stayed at the Zilwa in April this year and have to say it is a fantastic hotel, its a real chilled out place with plenty of plus points - I think the website is a good indication of what to expect and you would not be disappointed if you stayed their. Also check out YouTube as there is a 'flyover' video that is very good.

The only area that lets it down (which I guess isn't really down to the hotel) is that the sea is very shallow for a good distance out so its not really good to swim off the beach and there is complete lack of sea life near to shore.

Mauritius is a fantastic island with lovely people and plenty to see and explore (or do nothing but chill), and as the island isn't huge you can easily see a majority of the main sites in a day or two.

All you got to remember though is it a totally different holiday to the Maldives (sounds daft) but as you will appreciate your not on a desert island in the middle of the ocean, you're in a hotel on a much bigger island.

I wouldn't usually recommend a hotel just in case people took my recommendation and didn't like it - however I have to say I have no worries regarding a recommendation for this hotel.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have, I also posted a few months ago a trip report on Trip Advisor under the same user name as here if you require any further insight

Best regards

Gaztab

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Many thanks Gaztab. Thanks for taking the time to pass on your experience at Zilwa. I must admit that the more I hear the more I like. Must make a decision soon. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Okay, we decided to take a punt on the Zilwa Attitude hotel/resort on Mauritius and have just returned home from a week there on all-inclusive. It was recommended to us from 'within the travel industry'. It is NOT an alternative to Meeru or the Maldives, but IS somewhere different to experience and it is pretty damned decent.

Its only been open just over a year and it is still unscathed in terms of wear and tear. The rooms are a mix of traditional Mauritian style and chic, modern fixtures and fittings. The sea facing rooms are excellent with wonderful views out to sea. The buildings themselves have been built to a substantial standard rather than typical Mediterranean so there is no problem with noise from adjoining rooms etc.

There are several restaurants to try, some buffet style, some a la carte including Chinese and Indonesian and all are pretty good, though as is often the case, buffet food tended not to be too hot. One main bar and one beach bar where the service was absolutely spot on. And this is the real plus point of the Zilwa - the service provided by the staff was top drawer. Their standards were exemplary, nothing too much trouble, so so friendly, and lots of amusing banter from the bar staff. At times it seemed there were more staff than guests ! Never needed to ask for drinks or refills, they were there before you could open your mouth...and there was even drinks service to your sunbed on the beach, so no need to move a muscle !

Surrounds of the hotel were always clean and tidy with attractive gardens, beautiful pools, including the infinity design. The beach area itself was fairly small but was extended by sand covered sunbathing areas behind. And perhaps here is the one 'weakness'. The beach and surrounds have the white sand appearance of other locations such as the Maldives, but it is pretty clear they are man made using quite gritty off white sand which certainly isn't fine and powdery.

Overall though, a really worthwhile place to visit. Not sorry we went there and whilst we wouldn't go back, I would happily recommend it to others as long as you don't compare it to 'you know where' !!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
karyn
It sounds like you both had a wonderful time Rick - thanks for the trip report. If we ever went to Mauritius that sounds like a great place to go.

Wishing you and Lynne a very Happy Christmas and New Year.

Karyn & Roy santa rendeer x

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
rickc
Cheers Karyn, and the same to you and Roy !
A LONG SHOT - MAURITIUS 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world!