Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » OUR 10TH TRIP : 6-17 FEBRUARY
OUR 10TH TRIP : 6-17 FEBRUARY 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Well we couldn't stop at 9, and we had promised ourselves we would get to 10, so Lin and I duly arrived on 6 February after a pretty uneventful journey with Emirates from Gatwick via Dubai. Uneventful until we unexpectedly took our seats on the Dubai to Male leg practically next door to forum friends Karyn and Roy and their friends Micky and John. Immediate arrangements made for a first dangle at the Wok for that evening then dozed for a couple of hours. In due course we also caught up with Meeru 'old timers' Mark and Jane, again.

Eventually did the usual speedboat run to Meeru and soon spied the Wok in the distance. The usual warm welcome on arrival as multiple repeaters, met by Walter and some of his marketing chaps for some interesting chats until our room was ready.

Some observations :-

Plenty of cruises available every few days to get people to free up rooms. The new Hagern in evidence.

Not many kids to start with, mostly German as it was presumably their half term. More of them later, and of course Chinese families of three generations. Down in numbers compared to last year. Housed mainly in the jacuuzi water villas (300s) but also in beach villas, with extra mattresses provided. Seemed better behaved than last year. As usual they didn't really come out at night, except for their thing - karaoke !

Beach in front of the water villas more extensive based on natural accumulations of sand rather than pumping apparently.

No great changes as far as bars and restaurants are concerned but some little things like giant umbrellas outside the Maalan for shaded outside eating. The guys at the Dhoni Bar were on good form as usual, drinks refreshed at the drop of a hat, and don't bother asking for a SMALL G&T, it won't be ! All incl. cocktails - what an improvement ! So many to work through, and the African Rambos are something else! And the Tiger beer was well up to scratch too. Lots of familar faces such as Waheed at the Dhoni and Ranathunga at the Uthuru to mention just a couple.

For anyone who knows Hassan in the Maalan, he has been promoted AGAIN. He now controls/supervises the whole dining area in the Maalan, doesn' wait at tables, but oversees the whole thing making sure everything runs smoothly.

Weather a little changeable this time with some cloudy afternoons and the odd shower, but nothing to spoil things as such.

One thing definitely worth mentioning is that it is looking increasingly likely that Thomsons will be returning to the Maldives (and Meeru). We had it on good authority that discussions are well advanced based on a possible return in the winter of 2016.It was also suggested that capacity for Chinese guests may be reduced long term based on the likelihood that they will come in reduced numbers - once they have 'conquered' a location they move on to somewhere new.

Finally, on a bit of a 'bum' note, we were both unlucky to fall ill for the last couple of days but I can only applaud Meeru's response. The Doc came out to our room straightaway, at a very reasonable cost. Management and Guest Relations kept checking on our well being, sending light food and drinks to our room. And when we finally managed to get to the restaurant, the chefs offered to make us any alternative food we might feel like eating. Nothing but praise as far as we are concerned.

Will we be going back ? What do you think....!

(Footnote to Karyn and Roy, Micky and John, and Mark and Jane - what sociable animals you lot are. We were clearly out of our depth in that area - might need to get in some training before our next visit !)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Nice one Rick & Lynn, so glad your 10th trip was very special, sounds as if you had the best time ever, even though you were poorly for a few days.......well done Meeru for looking after you so well.
Thanks for all the updates and the good news that Thompsons may be returning. So glad too that the Chinese contingency were not as bothersome as last year.
Lucky also to have met up with Karen & Roy and friends.........very jealous!

Take care, love to you both.

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Janster
Thanks for sharing your trip and all the updates. It was a good read,

I hoe you are both feeling better.

Jan x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:22 am Reply with quote
karyn
We really enjoyed reading your trip report Rick & Lin. Funnily enough, I've just posted mine so you'd better put the kettle on! Laughing

It was so lovely to see you both again and it really didn't seem like 2 years since the last time.

It was such a shame that you were both unwell during the last couple of days and we were really touched that you managed to come for a 'sunset dangle' on your last evening. I bet the journey home was tough for you both - hope you're ok now.

I really don't know what you mean about being out of your depth with us ... I seem to recall Roy and I waving the white flag and retreating back to our JBV on one particular occasion, leaving you and Lin ordering more cocktails in The Dhoni Bar. Laughing Also, Lin had more endurance on the dancefloor than a Duracell bunny! Laughing No pre-Meeru training required from either of you in my opinion!

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Thank you for a great report. Full of useful information too. Has made me really excited about our next visit.
Jo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
Thanks for posting a great report, good to hear that Hassan is doing well he has been our waiter for so many years now, just over 5 weeks now until we return and can't wait.

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
sams
Really enjoyed reading this, Meeru sounds as special as ever.

Would love to see Thomsons doing the Maldives again, so fingers crossed Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Cheers Karyn. Well recovered now thank goodness. The journey home wasn't too clever, but here's to the next time! Hope you and Roy enjoy the rest of the season with the Rams having a good run through till the end of the season.

Rick and Lin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
Lee Frankham
Thanks for the report, great to here the low down of what is going on. Great news for Hassan should be less time for him playing with his mobile Smile

IMO not so great news on Thomson, they have been pushing the pricing up on the Maldives for years and generally give poor service. I hope they don't sign up an exclusive UK contract like they in many other places around the world.

I for one have noticed a price drop since there departure and personally don't mind the short stop over in Dubai.

rant over

Embarassed

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
rickc
Thanks Ann and Forbes. Yeah, enjoyed some good company on Meeru again. Hope life is treating you two well over there in Jersey.

Rick and Lin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
rickc
Its a tricky one Lee. If Thomson come back it increases the flight options, and it is recognised in the trade that Emirates are sitting on their laurels in the absence of much competition, but as you say, there are potential complications. Oh well....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Took me right back, thanks for posting.

Tried to convince myself that we'd maybe try going every 5 years but I can't wait that long!!!

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018
OUR 10TH TRIP : 6-17 FEBRUARY 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports