Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » 23rd February - 5th March 2015
23rd February - 5th March 2015 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
We first visited Meeru in October 2007 and were lucky enough to be able to return for 10 days February/March this year. A few people said we would see a lot of changes, we saw some but not many and I don’t mean this in a bad way. It was almost like coming home! Our plane journeys from Glasgow were long, 4½ hours and then 7½ hours After the first flight Stuart said that was probably the bumpiest flight we’ve ever had. Seat belt sign was on most of the time and the cabin crew were seated once. I rely on them, if they are still carrying on with their job and smiling I’m fine, when they get sent to their seats I go into panic overdrive. The second flight was utterly horrendous with the crew seated for most of it. We only waited a few minutes for yet another bumpy speedboat ride I’m sure they take one look at me and go faster. It was worth it when we finally arrived on Sunny Meeru.

We received a personal welcome from Guest Services as return guests and were delighted with our allocated villa. A low numbered Water Villa. These haven’t changed inside in 7 years and had we not known this we wouldn’t have thought anything of it, however they do seem a little dated now. I understand they are due to be refurbished soon, I hope that they are able to keep the feel of the place inside as they are still so beautiful and I think all modern and plastic would spoil them. Just a little varnish here and there and some new cushions would work for me! Having been before we can’t help comparing and I preferred when these villas had the lower decks. You could see the fish and the sharks swim by on a daily basis. As the lower decks have been taken away it’s had the effect of pushing the ocean back. It’s not a complaint but I personally preferred it the way they were before. You would have the same view now from a cheaper Beach Villa.

The food was fantastic every night plenty of choice. On the first night we were just proper greedy we will try one of everything and see what we like. We liked everything! So obviously had to tone it down a bit from then on. I’d suggest reading the menu and picking a theme and things that go together or walk round and look at everything before you go back and pick out some things you want – and this is a must leave room for some of the little desserts. They are beautifully presented and although it seems a shame to spoil the display again you have to limit yourself here or you’d have one of everything. I’ve read of people complaining that there is not enough choice – maybe they only looked on one table……

Our waiter for the first week Waheed was extremely efficient and polite. He went on holiday and I think there was some confusion as we seemed to have to ask for everything the next night. After that though our new waiter was just as good.

We didn’t try all of the Bars but my favourite this time was the Pavillion now affectionately renamed Oblivion, I suspect due to the cocktails. The staff here were very friendly and attentive. We also liked the Uthuru Bar but this was much busier than our previous visit and whilst again the staff were friendly it was difficult to build up any rapport with them as they didn’t seem to have much spare time. This one was perfect for star gazing and winding down after dinner. A further word of warning, I’d heard about the Beach Island Teas and tried to warn my husband. I didn’t have any and I think he wishes he hadn’t had so many as lost the next day due to a “migraine”.
The all-inclusive plus package now includes cocktails and mocktails and most of the drinks in your minibar. This is a welcome addition. I tried to make my way through the list but got stuck on the African Rambos……also liked the Coco Coladas when I felt that I need to detox from the other one…..

Our Room Boy Saaif was very friendly and helpful and did a great job. I don’t know how he turned those bath towels into swans and again it seemed a shame to spoil them but I have fotos as a momento. All of the staff clearly enjoy working there and every single person we saw greeted us in some way.
We had ants in the bathroom when we arrived, but a word with Saaif who left us with our own can of spray and whilst this was used on a daily basis it didn’t bother me. It’s an island in the middle of the ocean I expected some form of annoyance. Saw one tree hamster briefly, the island is definitely not overrun with them. My personal favourites though were the little geckos I wanted to try and bring a couple home but customs probably wouldn’t have allowed it and they would have died of shock when they got off the plane here anyway.

We had so many plans, several trips to the spa, day trips, etc. etc. and did nothing for 10 days, but still absolutely loved it. You can do as much or as little as you want if and when you can be bothered. We did visit the spa on our last day as a wee treat. The lovely ladies there made us feel very welcome and we will make a point of visiting at least a couple of times next time.
Most of our days were spent sitting watching the ocean, paddling in the lagoon which seemed to be full of life. Stuart spent a whole hour chasing a ray trying to get a photo, I hope it was a manta but apparently it did have a long tail – I spent the hour watching him chasing it in case I had to phone for help. That very night we had the cocktail repeaters party, our gift was a little ray which was very appropriate considering.

We met up with Lucy and Dave from the forum. Dave is a wealth of information on several useful subjects and Lucy well she’s just as mad as a box of frogs! We also briefly met Sylvia & Rodger and Steve and Jo (who were staying next door), sorry we didn’t get to spend more time with you. Our 10 days went by so quickly.

I do think forum members should have a little badge or something I spent most of mealtimes listening for English accents, I think I even heard a Scottish couple in the Uthuru bar one night but I’m not sure….maybe the guys could get baseball hats and the ladies could have flowers in their hair or something…..The first few days there seemed to be a lot of Chinese people, but after that it seemed to be mostly Germans.
Thankfully the plane journeys back were much more comfortable, the crew didn’t seem to stop on either flight, they were sent to their seats once on the second leg and I personally thought the pilot was being overprotective of them as it wasn’t half as bad as the outward flights.

I could go on forever, I have nothing negative to say about Meeru, we loved everything and we will definitely return. I don’t think 10 days is long enough but due to holiday entitlements it’ll be the most we can manage as we need a couple of days rest when we get back. The plane journeys seemed so much longer on the way back……and scraping the car at the airport was not a highlight for me.

Top tips, pack plenty of sunscreen and not too many clothes as you won’t wear half of them. Also when using the “facilities” in your villa, check the trees above first, I was just about to use ours when I heard a rustling noise from our tree, I was greeted by a very smily man about to knock a coconut down – at least I think that’s what he was doing. I didn’t hang around long enough to see.

Our second trip was even better than our 1st and there will definitely be more trips to come.

Thank you again to everyone on the forum for their patience and helpfulness.

Caroline & Stuart

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Loved this post- thank you so much. We go in just over 3 weeks so your report transported me there just for a few moments x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
A great read, thanks for posting. I know what you mean when you have plans to do things but time just passes by. That's the great thing about Meeru it's just so relaxing, as Jo says its just over 3 weeks till we return and can't wait.

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Claire3
We too will be there in 3 weeks. It's our first time. It's really good to hear that people choose to return again and again. Meeru
must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
karyn
A brilliant trip report - really enjoyed reading it. Sorry to hear about your car. I didn't expect you to say there was a man in the palm tree above you - I thought it was going to be a fruit bat! Laughing

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:32 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Cheers Caroline and Stuart for a lovely trip report. Lots of detail and one or two more amusing images emerge from it.......those boys sure can climb the trees.....

And I agree with your suggestion about forum members being able to identify others on Meeru. If only some 'universal' means of identification could be devised. Food for thought maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
SUEC
Lovely trip report but can't believe that you have been and come back already. It doesn't seem that long ago that you were asking all the questions Very Happy. Have to agree with you on doing nothing, we go with good intentions of doing lots of trips etc but end up not doing much apart from sunbathing and drinking. Good to know that you liked the African Rambo as that was our favourite cocktail, we didn't try the Beach Island Tea and thought we might try it next time but not sure now as we don't want to get a " migraine "

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Hi all
We have had means of identification over the years. We've had badges made and ' put one flip flop on your table when you're in a bar'. Obviously both of these have limitations as you're not always wearing much to attach a badge to and there is the rare occasion when we're not at a bar.

At least wifi on the island allows us to find each other. Have noticed now others have used this one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
LucyW
I'm not mad ..... Just slightly unhinged Very Happy

Was lovely to meet you both!! I must get around to a trip report but right now I'm just too tired

L xx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Lovely trip report, thank you for taking the time to write it.
Those bumpy flights are horrid, it is worth it, but horrible when the Stewards sit down too!!
Hope you book your return soon!!

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
karyn wrote:
A brilliant trip report - really enjoyed reading it. Sorry to hear about your car. I didn't expect you to say there was a man in the palm tree above you - I thought it was going to be a fruit bat! Laughing

I'd have preferred a fruit bat - I was so embarrassed. Just glad he made a noise when he did Rolling Eyes

I suppose they have to do it, but he could have been whistling or something or maybe they should just sound a klaxon during coconut felling hour!!!

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
SUEC wrote:
Lovely trip report but can't believe that you have been and come back already. It doesn't seem that long ago that you were asking all the questions Very Happy. Have to agree with you on doing nothing, we go with good intentions of doing lots of trips etc but end up not doing much apart from sunbathing and drinking. Good to know that you liked the African Rambo as that was our favourite cocktail, we didn't try the Beach Island Tea and thought we might try it next time but not sure now as we don't want to get a " migraine "

I can't believe we are back already either. Its been and gone like a flash. Nearly got through my first week back at work. Apparently flights go on sale about a year in advance, I think I need something to look forward to.

If we ever get a summer here i might try making the African Rambo, I know for sure it won't taste the same though Rolling Eyes

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
debandmark wrote:
Lovely trip report, thank you for taking the time to write it.
Those bumpy flights are horrid, it is worth it, but horrible when the Stewards sit down too!!
Hope you book your return soon!!

Can honestly say if the flights out had been the return ones, it would be a long time before I would have flown again. As I did need to return home, it was a bit far to swim.

Yes have every intention of booking a return asap Cool

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
lucygp
just sound a klaxon during coconut felling hour!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
gailmail65
We enjoyed yes the Dhoni bar is n the day and Pavilion at night.

We also used the Uthuru bar as close to 700's. Also some good staff there.

It was never mad busy. But they had an inspection During our stay. From that point on, whenever a certain manager appeared - the staff seemed as though they were not as free to be friendly to the guests. shame really, as its a big part of why guests return!

[/url]

[/url]
23rd February - 5th March 2015 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports