Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Question about nationalities visiting Meeru
Question about nationalities visiting Meeru 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Hello one and all

Now I have a question to ask of the forum.

Due to a bad accident I was unable to fly, have completed a few short haul flights and now have the go ahead for long haul, so looking to the Maldives and Meeru.

My question....what are the experience's of people to other nationalities who are now visiting the island, I have read some interesting reports on other websites, and would like to know from members on here.

if you don't want to name and shame lol then please feel free to send me a pm

regards

steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Hi Steve
Good to hear from you. I have sent a pm but I would say Meeru is still a great place to be.
Take care
Jo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Thanks jo

will have a read later on pc rather than tiny phone screen

steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
swordfishradio
Im fairly open about this sort of thing so here is my own personal opinion.

Fellow British: Generally a mix of Honeymooners and couples 30s and up. Always polite from our experience.

Germans: Great, never had any worries here. We like Henning Wehn so thats got to be a plus point right?

French: Again, no problems even with our poor attempt at the French language and accent even if I do sound like the Policeman from Allo allo.

Russian: It like watching the British in Spain in the 1970's, you get my point? All Speedo's and no style.

Chinese: Well, I found them personally rude. I know for a fact that some of the Waiters dont like then due to the mess they leave a meal times and I have seen this first hand. Also watching a grown man chase a crab around and then stamp on it was a particularly bad point for me.

Still, this is my opinion with some humour thrown in, I'm sure other nationalities look at us and have their giggles?

Cheers!

M.

Maayafushi 4, Kuredu 1, Dhonveli 1, Reethi 1, Meeru 4, Meeru booked for December 2018

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Hi M
Your description of Russian visitors made me smile..... I have seen a lot less of them recently. I wonder if their political situation has hit their economy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Janster
We are here at the moment and its mainly Germans then chinese, then Russians. The Brits are very much a minority compared to previous visits.

So far I haven't witnessed the behaviour mentioned by Swordfish re the crabs and I hope I don't because I know I won't be able to keep quiet. I will be bopping them over the head with my flip flops if I see them touching the wild life. I feel very strongly about this.

Jan x

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Colin & Jenny
On our last trip there were Germans, Russians, British etc, basically europeans and short stay visitors that work elsewhere in the Maldives. Never saw any Chinese though there were lots of Chinese at the airport. Never seen any 'bad' behaviour.

Prefer to be in the thick of it as the top of the island was all smooching couples... yuk!

Embudu July 2015
Vilamendhoo July 2016

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi,

We've been back a week now, and although there were quite a few Chinese on the island, behaviour seemed to have changed quite a lot from previous trips. We had a large group sitting behind us at the buffet with 2small children, they were well behaved children, the adults were very polite to staff, laughing and joking with them, and they spoke to us in quite good English wishing us a good day etc, this wasn't isolated, on the whole behaviour from this sector seemed to have changed, and for the better.

Hope this helps

Deb

[/url]
Nationalities 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Wonder if it's anything to do with the time of year you go... we were there in February and it was most Germans that were there. A few Chinese on our first few days but they were quite well behaved I guess considering some of the stories I've heard Shocked Didn't see or hear any Russians and didn't see many Brits definitely no Scots although apparently there was a Scottish Chef, wonder if he can do Haggis or Deep Fried Mars Bars....

I saw a couple of Chinese girls today in Glasgow with an umbrella it was about 25 degrees here today the sunshine in Glasgow seems to bring out all sorts though

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
shakira22
thanks jo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Bobby
Steve - how great to hear from you - gee a bad accident - hope your ok. We have missed a couple of years but are back in February again all being well - go on book it - you know you want to !!!!!

[/url]
Question about nationalities visiting Meeru 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion