Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Forum DIY: HOW TO POST PHOTOS...
Forum DIY: HOW TO POST PHOTOS... 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Often forum members come back from their hols write a trip report and maybe want to share some digital photos too. And we all appreciate it when they do Very Happy.

So how to post photos into a forum thread and is it hard to do ?

It's not too difficult to post photos into the forum, though some people find it easiest to just upload a photo album to somewhere and give a link to the photo pages from their post. If you want the best effect though here's how to display photos in a post in the way you've maybe seen in some threads.

When you see images displayed in a post within a forum environment such as meeru.co.uk, you may or may not be aware that they're actually not 'on' the forum's server. They are hosted elsewhere on the Internet but only referenced from the forum post - but the illusion is that they are 'on' the forum inside a post.

So if you want to include photos in any post it follows that:

1) You need initially to upload your photos to "somewhere on the Internet". A number of sites do free image hosting. I use Flickr ( http://www.flickr.com ) which is nice and photographer friendly, has a practical Free account offering, plus is devoid of annoying ads, plus - crucially - allows you to link to individual photos from a forum message. If you have your own web space you could use that instead.

2) The likes of Flickr - and many others - provide the means to upload photos to themselves from your PC. In the case of Flickr, once you've done that each photo is made available automatically by them at a series of different sizes in addition to the original size uploaded. Each size version of each photo is given a unique link (a.k.a. URL) by Flickr so it can be directly linked to.

3) In the case of meeru.co.uk the way to display the uploaded photo is to add these [img] tags around the URL.

[img] photo url here but with absolutely NO spaces next to the brackets here [/img]

NOTE: that the trailing IMG tag has a forward slash at its front.

For example: the URL of just one photo of mine taken in 2006 from Meeru's shoreline and uploaded by me shortly after to Flickr looks like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/102/316356646_acd8f43894.jpg

So now if I simply add [img] to the front and [/img] to the end of the line above in the forum message text editor then it will be displayed as an image and not a URL.

Just like this:

So to summarize:

- arrange some free web image space somewhere
- upload the photo(s)
- find the URLs of each individual photo and do the [img]...[/img] thing to them within the forum message editor and all should be well.

TIP: Remember that you can always use the Preview button in the forum message editor to see if it's working before you Submit any post. Sometimes a little rogue space creeps into the line and prevents a picture loading as you would want so Previewing a post before you Submit it is very useful in these circumstances and especially when you want to test things for the very first time.

Practice a bit if you like with the URL of my photo above in a blank new post that you don't Submit but only Preview (so you can see how it works without posting).

Finally, it is good practice to assemble any long post in a separate editor first and then paste it into the forum message editor. Sometimes the forum 'hiccups' when a large post is submitted and in a few unfortunate cases people have been known to lose their carefully assembled material. If you use a separate editor you can save a copy of your post beforehand and avoid any such loss.

HJ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
AlanB
Hi HJ . tried it and it works and is not at all hard to do.

many thanks.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
grantsteve
Just a note to add about using Flickr for this. It is, or at least it used to be, a condition of posting images from Flickr like this, that you add a link to the photo which when clicked will take you back to Flickr.

This is relatively simple to do and will allow people to post comments on your Flickr page about the photo - if you put the right link in.

All you need to do is add [url] tags around the [img] tages Jim outlined above.

Adding the [url] tags on the outside of text or a photo will turn whatever is inside the tags into a clickable link.

Example: The static URL of the photo I want to post is: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2671600177_c9969c17a8.jpg

and the page I want to link back to for people to comment etc is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/grantsteve/2671600177/

The code for this would be - just replace the { with [ when you do it Wink

{url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/grantsteve/2671600177/}{img}http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3014/2671600177_c9969c17a8.jpg{/img}{/url}

and it will turn out something like this:

I posted in the lounge about how to do this to add a short link to your signature (or any post) and it works the same way. But instead of the words being your clicky, its a photograph. Cool

Summary
- Follow HJ's instructions above
- find the URL of the page you want to link back to
- add the [url] tags on the outside of the [img] tags
- after the 'L' in the first [url] tag add '=' then paste in the URL of the page you want to link back to e.g. [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/grantsteve/2671600177
- always remember to close your tags with the [/] verison at the end e.g. [/url] or [/img] etc.

Grant Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Most useful addendum, Grant. Many thanks Very Happy !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
thesidmouth2
Hi all
Just wanted to see how easy it was to upload an image after creating my Flickr account.

It seems to work fine.

Many thanks to you all for your help. We are now all set to post some pics from our fast approaching trip back to Meeru.

Mervyn Kemp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
thesidmouth2
Hi can anyone tell me why this image is so small? Is it because I have a free Flickr account. I have tried to alter the image size in the attributes of the picture in Flickr but it still cames out the same size.

Regards

Mervyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
I have the free flickr account and my photos display fine.

What I suspect you have done is copied the url of the photo thumbnail. If you go into your flickr account and click on the thumbnail to open the picture, then right click on the photo and select "copy image url" then paste this into your post it should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
thesidmouth2

Thanks Mark that's exactly what I had done so many thanks for sorting me on that one.

All the very best

Mervyn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Mark Jones
No worries.

Nice photo by the way!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
thesidmouth2

This was a very strange phenomenon reported to have been seen in Australia in 2006 where the waves along the shore line emit a bright blue glowing light when they hit the sand. If you walk through it, your feet glow blue as well.
Apparently it is called bioluminescence which is down to a specific organism which is charged by the sun during the day & only occurs when certain toxins are present. There was no moonlight on the night of the pictures & was prolific along the west side of the island. I do have more pics if anyone is interested including one of our luminous feet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Alicia and Paul
thesidmouth2 wrote:

This was a very strange phenomenon reported to have been seen in Australia in 2006 where the waves along the shore line emit a bright blue glowing light when they hit the sand. If you walk through it, your feet glow blue as well.
Apparently it is called bioluminescence which is down to a specific organism which is charged by the sun during the day & only occurs when certain toxins are present. There was no moonlight on the night of the pictures & was prolific along the west side of the island. I do have more pics if anyone is interested including one of our luminous feet.

We saw that on Meeru in October down the western coast towards the Asian Wok, not as much as your pic but thousands of tiny dots of blue as the waves washed over them or when you stood on them. We enjoyed running along the waveline making them glow behind us! Laughing

Re: Here's one from our most recent visit from Nov 2010 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
GlobetrotterBristol
Alicia and Paul wrote:
thesidmouth2 wrote:

We saw that on Meeru in October down the western coast towards the Asian Wok, not as much as your pic but thousands of tiny dots of blue as the waves washed over them or when you stood on them. We enjoyed running along the waveline making them glow behind us! Laughing

Didn't see it in Meeru, but we have seen exactly the same phenomenom on the beach at night in Sayulita, Mexico.

Same thing there - some form of algae in the surf, definitely NOT the Tequila or the rather large Margaritas !!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
CalebPierce
Thanks for giving an answer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Alixandra
I've seen it in Meedhupparu,Maldives every night in June 2013,it was actually more than in the picture, I was hoping I'll see it again in Meeru:) It's amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
bfdsgfds
All you need to do is add [url] tags around the [img] tages Jim outlined above. Razz
www.casesam.co.uk
casesam.co.uk
Forum DIY: HOW TO POST PHOTOS... 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion