Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Our 3rd Visit - 6 February to 20 February 2015
Our 3rd Visit - 6 February to 20 February 2015 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
karyn
I’ve kept this brief! Confused

Our flight from Birmingham to Dubai was a smooth one and the 4 hours at Dubai airport awaiting our connection passed quickly. We boarded for our final leg from Dubai to Male and were delighted to see Rick and Lin from the forum on our flight who we’d met on Meeru in 2012 and 2013 Very Happy .
The plane was half empty which meant we could have a row of 4 seats each in order to lie down and get some sleep.

After a short wait for the boat, we arrived on Meeru on a Friday, just before lunchtime and were given our special repeat guests’ cocktail. We had emailed the island a couple of weeks in advance and requested a Jacuzzi Beach Villa in the high 600s. We were told that the highest 600 they had available was 615 but that they could move us up to a much higher 600 after our first night – we were more than happy with that.

We upgraded our free 15 minute massage and enjoyed 90 minutes – I opted for a gentle Balinese massage which was so relaxing, I nodded off! The spa menu is fantastic and I wish I'd had more time to indulge (2 weeks just isn't long enough!) Laughing

We were offered a cruise on the ‘Goma’ departing on the Monday after our arrival. This beautiful ship has 2 cabins (both en-suite) and so can only accommodate 4 people. As we were with 2 friends (their first visit to Meeru) who were keen to do a cruise, we immediately accepted. It was perfect for us… our own private cruise! As usual, we would need to vacate our room and we were told we would be put into a high 600 upon our return. The cruise was excellent – the crew were very attentive and Nashiu our guide was lively and entertaining. As with our previous cruises, the food on the boat and at the beach BBQ was excellent and we had a great experience. We’d definitely go on one again.

Upon our return from the cruise, we were given the key to another high 600 as promised. We were over the moon with the room itself – we find the 600s to be light and spacious. We loved its location too but were extremely disappointed with the state of the Jacuzzi – totally not on a par with the standard of Jacuzzi we’d had in other 600s and 500s. It was disgusting. My husband plays a lot of sport and uses the Jacuzzi daily – he said he wouldn’t put a foot in that one and I really don’t blame him!

We called Guest Services and explained that until this point we weren’t aware that there was a varying standard of Jacuzzi throughout the 600s and as we’d paid for a JBV we expected the same standard that we’d enjoyed in every other 600 that we’d stayed in previously. The lady from Guest Services was lovely and admitted that the Jacuzzis were of a varying standard.

To compensate, she offered us a free basket of fruit – we’d already received one of these for being repeat guests and, on All Inclusive Plus, there’s always plenty of fruit to help yourselves to anyway – this wasn’t going to solve our issue! We were then offered a half bottle of Champagne too. Again, something we’d already had as part of AIP. Finally, we were offered an upgrade to a Water Villa 528. This was a very decent offer but we’d stayed in the 500s in the past and specifically wanted a 600 this year for a change and to be on the sunset side of the island. We turned it down and were finally offered a free dinner on the beach. We stuck to our guns and said we wanted to move to another 600 with a modern Jacuzzi. Guest Services said they’d get back to us. In the meantime, we were talking to some people who were staying in a JBV just a couple of doors up from us and were vacating their villa to go on a cruise the next day. They said they had the more modern style Jacuzzi. We called Guest Services and let them know we were aware that a JBV close by would be vacant the following day and asked if we could move into that. They were more than happy to let us do so, and since it was only 2 doors away, we didn’t need to re-pack; we just carried our coat hangers and belongings from one villa to the other! In addition, and quite unexpectedly, Guest Services still sent us the fruit, Champagne and a voucher for a beach dinner (which we swapped for the Hot Rock). They handled it very well, but I do think that as a priority, the management need to look at bringing all the 600s up to the same standard and replace some of their very old and tatty Jacuzzis.

So, within the space of our first week we’d been in 4 different rooms! Laughing

It’s been 2 years since we were last on Meeru and we did notice some changes – for the better in my opinion.

In past visits we had seen numerous ‘Maldivian Tree Hamsters’ but on this trip, we saw only one which ran across our path whilst we walked to main reception to get our sea transfer back to Male. That was the only one we saw over the entire fortnight.

The staff now all wear badges which display how many years they've been working on Meeru. It was great to see some familiar faces amongst them - Waheed at The Dhoni Bar (he's so hilarious!), Suresh at The Uthuru Bar, Dileep at The Asian Wok and Hassan in The Malaan Restaurant. Ismail our waiter this year was wonderful - when he smiled, he lit the whole restaurant up. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone and the whole customer service experience is what sets this island apart from many other holiday destinations.

The cocktail menu is much more extensive now … and they’re delicious! My particular favourites were the African Rambo and Blue Lagoon. The Beach Iced Tea was also gorgeous but you don’t need more than one! (Do you Mark & Roy??!!) Laughing

Whilst on the island, we played the 9 hole pitch and putt – always a giggle! This isn’t part of the All Inclusive package (although the driving range is) but well worth spending a few dollars on!

We dined in the Asian Wok on the night of our friend’s 50th and as usual the meal and service were second to none. I will dream of that meal until I can return to have it again. Throughout the day, our friend received 3 birthday cakes – one from the staff in the Malaan Restaurant (who had also decorated our breakfast table with beautiful flowers), one from the staff in the Asian Wok and another one at the Asian Wok which we’d organised for her. All 3 were delicious.

On our previous 2 visits, we’d never dined at the Hot Rock so decided we needed to rectify that – I’m glad we did – the food was delicious and I would highly recommend it.

Weather-wise this was the best February we’d spent on Meeru – there was one downpour on our first night with thunder and lightning in the distance and another brief downpour on another day. Other than that, it was wall to wall sunshine and temperatures of around 31C.

The entertainment on the island is spot on – something for everyone. We particularly enjoyed the band nights in both the Kakuni and the Dhoni Bars and the glow party was excellent and very well attended.

On a couple of occasions whilst sunbathing at the Infinity Pool, Chinese families appeared and allowed their children to run amok, shouting and screaming. This pool is adult-only and the bar staff were very quick and discreet to deal with each situation and politely inform the families concerned that they couldn’t remain in this area.

As has been mentioned by others on the forum, Chinese families are allowed to have children in the 300 JWVs which makes me wonder if it’s UK Tour Operators who impose the ‘no children’ policy in certain rooms – I can’t see anything on Meeru’s own website about this but someone may be able to correct me on this point.

We attended the Repeater’s Cocktail Party and it was lovely to meet with other guests who share our love of this magical island.

We were informed by a couple of staff members (not at the Repeater's Party) that there were plans to build a swimming pool at The Uthuru Bar and to completely refurbish The Uthuru Bar too.

We enjoyed our holiday every bit as much as the first time … if not more! It was lovely to see Rick and Lin again. Three years ago we also met another lovely couple on Meeru who coincidentally only live around 10 minutes away from us in Derbyshire. We’ve kept in touch with them and they arrived on Meeru on our 2nd week. They’re also on this forum – Mark & Jane. If you’re reading this … enjoy what remains of your last full day on Meeru and we’re looking forward to seeing you back in Derbyshire soon!

On our last full day (19 Feb) we got chatting to a couple by the Infinity Pool who turned out to be Will and Amie from the forum – we hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.

Meeru really is our Utopia and we’ll definitely be returning.

bounce

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Wow - what a busy time you had on Meeru. I bet you needed a rest when you got back. A great report. Thank you for taking to time to write and post.
Jo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Lee Frankham
Great report many thanks

Do you have any photos of the new cruise boat?

Lee

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
A great read, not long now for our return, so excited.

Ian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
A lovely read, felt like being back there for a few minutes. THank you for taking the time to post.

On the children point, we always go with our two (sometimes wish we had a babysitter for a cheeky week on our own, but you can't have everything) anyway, I digress, as far as I'm aware, it;.'s the uk tour operators that won't allow children to stay in rooms other than Garden and Beach Villa's. Too many risks with drowning etc I suspect. I do know however that Meeru will allow you to upgrade to any category upon arrival, providing you sign an indemnity form absolving them of any blame should anything go wrong.

Personally, and it's only my opinion, I don't think children should really be allowed in the Water Villa's, the current is strong, steps slippy, why take the risk. Also, many honeymooners stay in these villa's not sure it's right that they may be next to 'sometimes' loud children, although reading some trip reports, the Chinese adults are not much better on occasions, so who can say!

Deb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Nice one Karyn. Not quite War and Peace, but a good effort! (Only joking).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
How lovely Karen.........sounds like you had a fabulous holiday and just knew you would have an other amazing cruise. Like you say the level of service you get from the wonderful Meeru staff is second to none.

Also glad to hear that Walter has sorted out the problems with the Chinese families that so affected many of us last year and that the numbers compared to last year are not as high.......Rickc said never say never, after hearing both your trip reports Forbes and I will definitely think about returning.

Thanks for sharing
Take care
Ann & Forbes xx

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016
Komandoo October 2017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Janster
Thanks for a lovely report Karyn.

I'm starting to get excited now only about 13 weeks til we are back in paradise.

Its really reassuring that they seem to have the Chinese guests under control and they are not still running amok like other forum members have described.

Jan x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
The only thing getting me through the depression at being back is reading all the lovely trip reports, thanks for posting.

Caroline x

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Hi Karyn

I've sent you a pm...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
karyn
rickc wrote:
Hi Karyn

I've sent you a pm...

Sorry Rick - only just seen this. I've pm'd you back Very Happy

[/url]
Our 3rd Visit - 6 February to 20 February 2015