Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » "The Lounge" » Time flys by
Time flys by 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote
NOVECH
Just found my join the forum date and its been 10 years for this great info site, Well done everyone who's kept it going where other sites have fallen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Colin & Jenny
Hi,

We too originally joined mid 2004 but ended up with a new account after forgetting logon/password Embarassed

Cheers

Last edited by Colin & Jenny on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Embudu July 2015
Vilamendhoo July 2016
Vilamendhoo June 2019
Re: Time flys by 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
sams
NOVECH wrote:
Just found my join the forum date and its been 10 years for this great info site, Well done everyone who's kept it going where other sites have fallen.

To true time flies, this has been a fantastic forum I lurked for a long time before joining in. First visited Meeru in 2002and could have done with this kind of info back then, it would have saved us taking everything but the kitchen sink with us, I can still remember thinking the wee guy who carried our cases was going to buckle at the knees Wink

Merry Christmas to all santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Yep, we too 'rejoined ' this forum. First visited Meeru post-tsunami and posted after that, but re-started after a password problem. What a great site this has been for lots of people.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
I cannot believe its ten years since the tsunami. It still blows my mind the destruction and devastation that it caused.
We stayed in Sri Lanka,Meeru and Phuket that year and all the hotels were affected by the same thing which I find unreal. I'll never forget seeing our hotel in Sri Lanka on sky news being hit by the wave and just hoping people were able to escape.
The following October we returned to both SL and Meeru and just could not comprehend what had happened. Whole sections of the beach in Sri Lanka were missing,hotels gone. I saw fishing trawlers in half and boulders the size of a van dumped in the middle of a road, I did ask were it had come from and was told the seabed. Just unbelievable the power of mother nature.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
Ian and I first visited Meeru in 2001. We stayed in room 502. These rooms now start at 503 as the tsunami destroyed 501 and 502. Our second visit was Easter after the tsunami and we stayed in a 200. We went looking for our old room and couldn't understand where it was. The island was clearly still suffering the effects both with built structures and vegetation. We then found our old room dumped in a pit in the middle of the island. Removed and never replaced. We have since met people on Meeru who were there at the time of the tsunami. What they describe was very frightening and it must have taken a lot of courage to return. A lot of lessons have been learnt since then and early warning systems and better communication mean that everyone is better prepared for any future tsunami. We have since had 2 tsunami warnings over the years (which have come to nothing) and our hearts always go out to staff who are separated from loved ones who are living in different parts of the Indian Ocean.

Yes NOVECH - I agree - this forum is superb and incredibly useful. Even as regular visitors to Meeru it is great to hear about changes and read trip reports. They really cheer me up on a cold dark work day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
sams
I've seen a video on youtube that a guest on Meeru filmed from one of the honeymoon villas while the tsunami was happening, truly terrifying.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
sams wrote:
I've seen a video on youtube that a guest on Meeru filmed from one of the honeymoon villas while the tsunami was happening, truly terrifying.

Yeah I've watched that too. Knowing how high the decking is really puts it into perspective what people were facing, which on a very small island with no hills must have been terrifying. Thoughts went out yesterday to those that lost folks that day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Just realised it's now 10 years to the day since I joined this forum.

It was in fact during an intense search for news about how the Maldives and Meeru in particular had fared in the tsunami that I first came across this forum. We first went to Meeru in the year 2000 but had no idea this site existed back then.

And having stayed on the board for a little while...I decided to stay a little longer...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Mark Jones
10 years for me this year... Doesn't seem that long..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Mark
It's certainly been a few years since I joined.....and quite a few since I last posted anything. Retirement and world travels have kept me busy. I'm still a Canon man😉. I trust all the regulars/old hands are fit and healthy?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
NOVECH
And just found our log in again! Great to see some old names and activity on here
Time flys by 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » "The Lounge"