Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Island update
Island update 
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
keith&nicky
Hi guys
Just a little update of how Meeru is at the moment, yesterday was virtually a total washout with heavy rain for most of the day, today we had some lighter rain during the morning but after our daily snorkel trek the afternoon has been really nice, very warm with a light breeze.

The island seems quite full at the moment & it's been nice meeting people who are there first trip falling in love with Meeru as we have all done.

We met up with Dan & Sally the other night so now just waiting for Katie Ann to surface for drinks.

One point to say & has been a concern for some people including me, up to about 20 minutes ago the jet ski issue hadn't been a concern however I was just standing on our balcony & watched a jet ski towing 2-3 people on a inflatable speeding past the Malaan, I have no problems with these in Spain etc. But they have no place in the Maldives ( my opinion) we are off to the repeaters party shortly & I will mention this to them & if others think the same the. Hopefully they will voice their opinions also.

Will update tomorrow with some more photos.

Have fun

Keith & Nicky

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
marka
Glad the weather has improved for you and you are having a great time
Regarding the jet ski's, I thought the GM stated that they would only be used at low speed to get people away from the island and from there onto a jet ski tour??
Aha, just found the management response to complaints about jet skis on the Meerufenfushi Facebook group, here it is:

Greetings from Meeru Island resort and Spa!

Thank you for your email and thank you for sharing your concerns in relation to our water sports activities.
Please let me clarify the term “jet ski”: Meeru will not offer what in earlier years was known to be a noise making, air polluting ‘motorbike’ in the sea. Instead, Meeru will have the latest generation of very low decibel and ecofriendly, low emission personalized watercrafts. These will not in any away intrude the peace and tranquility of the island. More so, we will not allow solo “jetski” rides, but guided tours only, and not in the vicinity of the beach.
The routes have been carefully chosen, and guided at all times, so that there is no impact on corals or marine life.

You can rest assured that we have thought through this matter. Over the past few years there has been an increasing demand by many of our guests to expand the water sports facilities, like on any other resort island in the Maldives.

We can ascertain you that the peace and tranquility of the island will not be in any way impacted.

We hope to be able to welcome you back once again in future.

Thank you and best regards,

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Think the jet skis you would have seen are from the neighbouring island which Meeru has no control over. Meeru jet skis definitely go out of sight. They are not used that often but when they are they do head out and away from the island. We have seen these other jet skis 'cut across' the front of meeru.
We have seen these same nehbouring island jet skis follow our punch cruise chasing 'our' dolphins

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
keith&nicky
JoanneLorna wrote:
Think the jet skis you would have seen are from the neighbouring island which Meeru has no control over. Meeru jet skis definitely go out of sight. They are not used that often but when they are they do head out and away from the island. We have seen these other jet skis 'cut across' the front of meeru.
We have seen these same nehbouring island jet skis follow our punch cruise chasing 'our' dolphins

Joanne

When I mentioned the issue to Walter last night he said the demand for jet skis have come from the guests as apparently many other islands offer them, he did also mention that other islands will come over on their jets skis as part of a jet ski safari package which he did say he had no control over.

What do find hard to believe is that when the jets skis arrive here that the management has no control over where they are used, as I said I saw a jet ski
Towing 2-3 people on an inflatable of sorts up & down in the lagoon outside the Malaan, I also saw a single jet ski ( have a picture of this) spinning around outside the Malaan, its this type of use that I'm referring too which surely can be controlled.

Oh by the way weve had heavy rain this morning & today's not looking good already, still means more time for cocktails.

Keith

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
sams
Re the idea that it was customers asking for jet skis and that other islands have them, well let those customers go to the islands that offer them as I'm sure there are many people who don't want them ....I would choose an island that is jet ski free any day of the week so it could have been a selling point for Meeru

Last edited by sams on Sun May 21, 2017 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
keith&nicky
sams wrote:
Re the idea that it was customers asking for jet skis and that other islands have them, well let those customers go to the islands that offer them as I'm sure there are many people who don't want them ....I would choose an island that is jet ski free any day of the week so it could have might been a selling point for Meeru

Sams I totally agree with you it could of made them more exclusive, hopefully the demand won't be there & they rethink the whole thing through.

Update on the weather it's been terrible with it raining again now, it's getting a bit tedious lol, we went to the glow party last night which was superb.

Keith

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Love the Glow Party!!!

Can see on the webcam how bad the waether is...really hope it improves for you..and us as we arrive Thursday. Agree with you about it being tedious though, we were there in August and it felt like it was never going to stop...actually not sure that it did!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
sams
Hope the weather improves soon for you keith&nicky sunny

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Suns Out!!! Here, and in meeru judging by the webcam!!! Happy Days!!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
marka
Looks like (on the webcams) the weather has made a turn for the better keith&nicky, I'm very happy for you. Hopefully you will have a great week.

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
keith&nicky
marka wrote:
Looks like (on the webcams) the weather has made a turn for the better keith&nicky, I'm very happy for you. Hopefully you will have a great week.

Hi Marka

yes the weather changed for the better when we woke this morning, we seriously contemplated changing our flights to spend a couple of days in Abu Dhabi as one of the managers have said there is a storm on its way (on its way??? there cant be much rain left in the world lol) & this is going to last for a while, but we're glad we didn't.

we've been out to the house reef today & now sitting my the Dhoni bar pool catching some rays.

a few photos for you all

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Nice photos!

You can get unsettled spells around this time of year, when the primary wind direction switches over from coming from the north to a more south westerly direction. But the sun still wins in the end...

I actually prefer a weather mix; an approaching storm can make for a thrilling sight (although a series of drizzly days can get boring!). Also the best sunsets need an amount of cloudy clothes to pull off the best effect. But again too much cloud can be somewhat tedious. Often though, poor weather magically vapourises just when you think it's got stuck.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
keith&nicky
Humble Jim wrote:
Nice photos!

You can get unsettled spells around this time of year, when the primary wind direction switches over from coming from the north to a more south westerly direction. But the sun still wins in the end...

I actually prefer a weather mix; an approaching storm can make for a thrilling sight (although a series of drizzly days can get boring!). Also the best sunsets need an amount of cloudy clothes to pull off the best effect. But again too much cloud can be somewhat tedious. Often though, poor weather magically vapourises just when you think it's got stuck.

Hi Jim
I only managed to post the photos thanks to your advice which was much appreciated, in regards to the rain the first two trips we had here we had one or two days of scattered heavy rain but the last 2-3 days have been the worst I've known anywhere & when the management said a major storm was coming that really depressed us. Hence the thinking of going somewhere hot for the last few days.

Thankfully though we didn't & today has been superb & we have just got back in from the sunset cruise ( minus the sunset due to the clouds) but we saw so many dolphins out there with one doing a spiral somersault out of the water.

We're hoping tomorrow's more of the same as today so fingers crossed.

Keith & Nicky

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion