Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Random question about the tides
Random question about the tides 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Can anyone tell me when high and low tides are at meeru just now as wondering what time of day the water will be at its deepest in front of the water villas

I know someone here will know my money's on Humble Jim Wink

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
Hi Caroline

https://www.tideschart.com/Maldives/

this gives the tides for the next 5 days scroll down to the tide table high tides in blue low tides in red.

Ian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
Shanksy
Ian & Jo wrote:
Hi Caroline

https://www.tideschart.com/Maldives/

this gives the tides for the next 5 days scroll down to the tide table high tides in blue low tides in red.

Ian

Thanks Ian looks much more technical than I'd hoped but Stuart will probably enjoy studying this in great depth Laughing

We had noticed that the water seemed deeper on previous visits than the last time we were there and and wondered whether it was to do with the time of year we were there or something else, but I remember now the moon has something to do with it.

I remember our first visit the water came right up under the water villas but not so now, I know there are a lot of factors behind this too.

Thanks again

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Shanksy wrote:
...I remember our first visit the water came right up under the water villas but not so now, I know there are a lot of factors behind this too.

Prior to the refresh of the Water Villa rooms a year or back those rooms used to have split decking with the lower deck very near to the water.

The sound of the water striking and sloshing around that decking and its legs probably pleased as many people as those whose feathers were ruffled by it (especially in stormy conditions).

The new arrangement means the single main decking is retained and the lowest decks gone.

Also remember that the beaches in front of the WVs were majorly enhanced (widened) by sand redistribution from the lagoon depths a year or so back too. At least doubled in depth I should think.

All of which leads to the illusion (for returners who remember the old setup anyhow) that the Water Villas have all been raised by a big margin Laughing .

The combined effect of the above means the Water Villas don't get much touched by sea water anymore, with the possible exception of the very highest numbered ones which are physically nearest the sea.

If you're wading in the lagoon you do need to pay some attention to the tides. The tidal difference makes for a difference between wading and swimming. Also worth paying attention to the room literature and map boards dotted around the island that describes where currents are an issue. Always avoid going in the sea alone.

Meanwhile...back to the Moon Smile .

Depending on whether it is on the opposite side of the Earth with respect to the Sun, or lined up with Sun, or at 90 degrees or so to it you get different pull effects on the oceans. The pull causes Low tide on one side of the Earth and High tide on the other. All the while the Earth is turning every 24 hours so things can get complicated with different effects everywhere, with further complications caused by geography.

The Med is known for very shallow tides for example, with other places seeing huge drops and rises in sea level. Hence sea going folk have tide tables to tell them what to expect and when for where they are.

BTW you may or may not know that you're a lot nearer the Moon at the equator (where Meeru roughly is).

Here's my proof of that Wink .

Last edited by Humble Jim on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tides 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quote
Shanksy
Thanks Jim - my money was well placed Wink

My question was indeed simplified by your comment about it being the difference between wading and swimming needs to be deep enough for snorkelling but I'm sure at "low tide" it won't be. I'm sure we "normally" go snorkelling in the afternoon but the last time we were there the water was much more shallow and we couldn't seem to work out when it was it its deepest, Stuart will study all this info in more detail and pick the best time for us.

Is that photo real if so it's amazing and if not it's also amazing......

[/url]

moon 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Robdouglas
you have got to be kidding, was that photoshopped if not, when, where, how ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Yes, that was a little Photoshop experiment of mine, from a few years ago now when I was learning to use that software.

The image is comprised of two photos (both of my doing and both taken at Meeru) carefully chosen + blended together. Trick was to make sure the light in the Moon shot was coming from the same early morning direction as on the beach photo.

For slightly increased realism I also (very lightly) reflected the Moon in the sea.

So yes, it was fakery.

Otherwise there would have been a tide like no other that day Laughing .
MOONIES 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Well thanks again for your hard work Wink

[/url]

photoshop 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Robdouglas
brilliant photoshop photo HJ and full marks for fessing up, i feel silly now for asking Rolling Eyes
Re: photoshop 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Robdouglas wrote:
brilliant photoshop photo HJ and full marks for fessing up, i feel silly now for asking Rolling Eyes

I don't it looked real Wink

[/url]

Random question about the tides 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion