Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Back with a bump...!
Back with a bump...! 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
We flew in to the Maldives on Emirates this Monday morning. The weather at Male was "challenging" shall we say...(yes we shall say it Smile ).

We spent about half an hour circling around the airport zone which was heavily stormy. I had a quiet bet with myself that we would end up diverted to Colombo to wait it out but in the end the pilot went for a landing at Male. It was heaviest and wettest landing I've experienced, a real jarring affair, and for a second I thought we were going to skid. Having read Shanky's interesting post (http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15652&start=15) it was possibly the same pilot (it was the same plane they flew out on I think?). Trainee pilot or not we were relieved to be down on the ground.

Monday was a very soggy day indeed and the rain ran on solidly deep into the night. This morning the Sun returned thankfully and we had a wander down to the Wok and made a reservation for Friday.

So the hols has started...yay... Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Shame we just missed you.....I was thinking you were early there this year and now realise it's October!!!

Just shows how the climate is changing though because October is your month for Meeru!

going by the posts on FB it's certainly been a bit wetter than people have hoped for. How was the boat trip....you can tell me the truth I have at least a year to build myself up to that again!

I was kidding about it being a trainee pilot, but I'm sure they do actually have train somewhere but I'm sure they do it on small planes first Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have a fabulous time can't wait for your photos!!!

Caroline

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Chill
Lets hope the weather behaves its self for you,

Have a great time

[/url]

You Dont Need Eyes To See You Need Vision!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Shanksy wrote:
...How was the boat trip....you can tell me the truth I have at least a year to build myself up to that again!...

The boat trip was actually fine. By the time we emerged from customs and boarded things had settled down (somewhat). Drizzly but the ocean was not as churned up as I expected it to be.

We're definitely in an unsettled spell that has lasted a while. Couple we met last night (from Austria I think they were) were due to go back this morning after 8 days said yesterday afternoon was the best weather they had. That was not saying much; we did feel sorry for them.

We felt sorry twice over because I now know they would have had a difficult crossing early today as the wind has increased to around 30mph overnight, with gusting higher than that. The sea was all white tops at breakfast but on the plus side no rain for now at least. To give you an idea of the wind strength, a bunch of the sand on the normally well sheltered covered walk way into the Maalan/Uthuru has been been blown off down to the concrete - not seen that before. So this is pretty unusual conditions.

There'll be a few more days of this squally stuff before things calm down (and eventually they will calm down!). Remember that a pretty good guide to weather here is the Maldives own weather site:

http://www.meteorology.gov.mv/

I'll put up a few photos in due course and maybe try and feed some into swordfishradio's photo cluster thing too.

Meantime...we party on Smile !

Last edited by Humble Jim on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:55 am Reply with quote
Shanksy
"unsettled" ha ha love that!

Can't help but look at the forecasts but for the most part I think it's a waste of time some days we got up and it was a real scorcher and then ended up really wet and other days the other way around and nobodys kidding when they say it can be raining at one end of the island but not the other

Id be disappointed with continuous rain for a whole trip but from what I've been reading most of the time it passes by pretty quickly and u can still go snorkelling Wink

Have a fab time I'm still at the this time last week I was......

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Occasional sunshine and showers sums it up at the mo. It's breezy on the jetty side of island, making it difficult to snorkel there, but on the lagoon - wind shielded - side of the island it's pretty calm.

And the Flamingos are doing just fine there Wink .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
I'll raise u ur flamingos we saw a unicorn.....

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
shazza86uk
Hi Jim,
How long are you in Meeru this time?
My and my hubby arrive on Tuesday 16th and would love to say hi! You were the person who prompted us to book our 2nd trip to Meeru back in February after I asked for advice on the price.
Hoping the weather settles for you soon!

Sharon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Hi Sharon

We are here for 3 weeks this time, so plenty of time for us all to catch up Very Happy .

Weather is still a bit edgy (overcast and windy) but things are set to improve. It's been all over the Maldives this wet spell we arrived into, the extent and length of it quite unusual for the time of the year.

It'll be a day or so before things really calm down but happy to report the Sun has managed to cut through this afternoon Cool .
Back with a bump...! 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion