Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » "The Lounge" » Anyone been to Cook Islands, Fiji or French Polynesia?
Anyone been to Cook Islands, Fiji or French Polynesia? 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
P1Fanatic
Looking online and not finding much info. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has been and where they went?

Cheers,
Simon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Possibly a lounge topic ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
off2theblue
Iv always wanted to go to the Cook Islands, looks just the the Maldives apart from being very very pricey apposed to pricey.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Sarah&Robin
We went to the Cook Islands when we did our gap year!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

It really is a beautiful place, we went to Rarotonga for nearly 2 weeks! Is a long old flight from here though - nearly on the date line I think Confused We went from LA to there then onto NZ and Oz.

The island itself is about 8km wide, and 16ish wide, not very big! We got round it on a scooter in about 35mins or so.

It is lush and mountainous in the middle, and is an atoll (I think) so you are in a permanant lagoon, nice calm clear seas and white sands! The snorkling wasnt as great as Meeru, although we didnt dive (due to weather - we were there in BIG storm!) which I hear was supposed to be fantastic.

It is pretty desolate, farmland and houses/etc round the edges and a small town, (Avarua) with about 10 shops/supermarket!

Accomodation wise it is mostly guesthouses and backpacker hostels, although the rarotongan beach resort is lovely (we had a few fun nights there!) and is on a good section of the beach.

http://www.rarotongan.co.ck/ This link is for the beach resort, but has info on Rarotonga too.

There's some lovely walks to do across the mountains and stuff, and some nice waterfalls, but it is a very slow pace island, very laid back! Little shops like the perfume factory, jam shop (tiny shack on roadside Laughing ) and local market were good fun, and they do rarotongan theme nights, and although we weren't there in the right time slot, july-oct is humpback season!

You can go on a reef sub or diving trips, as well as flying to other islands such as Aitutaki (again, we didnt but met people who did who said it was fab!)

The church services were brilliant too, all the ladies wear amazing hats woven with dried palm leaves (see the website) and the singing is brilliant!

Hope that helps - sorry, got bit carried away ha ha! Always nice to discuss our travels, brings back fond memories!

The Lonely Planet guide we had was very useful, (where most of this info is from - was 3yrs ago that we were there now, depressing!) if you need more info it's really good!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Sarah&Robin
Ha ha sorry Loops! Very Happy

We went on a gap year after college, then went into uni, and we tend to do not a lot all term time and then chill out on splurge holidays he he - got the bug a bit after the gap year! Hence Meeru!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Students these days!

They moan about money...mutter mutter....hah! we had it really tough in our day...mutter mutter...bring back National Service...(oops p'raps not as only my Dad had to do that, not me Laughing ).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Sarah&Robin
Ha ha Laughing I know it's a disgrace isn't it!! Very Happy

It is an education of life heehee, better than spending all my money on beer!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Pauline10253
Hi

We went to Fiji for 1 week last year, taking in 5 days in Sydney, 1 week in New zealand, stopping over for two days Hong Kon & Synapore.

Should have been getting married but divorce not through so still went on an early honeymoon. Hence we then went to Maurtius when we got married in July, then persuaded him to go to Meeru in January,

Meeru was by far the best.

We stayed at Tokoriaka island. We were informed of building works and given the option of cancelling. However we still went. It was the worse possible time. A new pool was being filled in with concrete. We were licky our room had plunge pool, and was furest away from works.

Have got Fiji out of system. Been there pleased i went but wold not go back.

Again Maldives any time

Pauline
Anyone been to Cook Islands, Fiji or French Polynesia? 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » "The Lounge"