Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling » Scuba Diving & Asthma (Now With Poll)

Would Yo Dive If You Have Asthma?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Scuba Diving & Asthma (Now With Poll) 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote
MikeBellows
Is there anyone out there that has Asthma & Dives?

Apparantly there are mixed concerns with regard to Scuba Diving if you have asthma. Some say that you must never dive if you have the condition. Others say that it depends on your type of Asthma i.e. How your astham is triggered - Allergic or Braething cold air/exercise.

I personally do have very mild Asthma and will be asking medical advice from my GP about where I personally stand.

It would be good to hear the thoughts of this forum from anyone who has asthma and still dives & how they have gone about getting clearance to dive or any problems which may have occured whilst diving.

Last edited by MikeBellows on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
johnk
Hi Mike

I would say consult your GP or a diving Doctor. Asthma is generally a barrier to diving due to its potential impact underwater - Death, embolism etc etc. Its not the condition thats a problem but the consequences of an attack at, say, 25m where the response to the attack may seriously endanger you (panic being the main outcome). I`ve been diving for many years and have not come across any divers that have asthma.

Do a search on www.yorkshire-divers.com which is a great resource and has a medical forum as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
When Mick "Novech" (master diver & the rest) comes on line he will answer your question, if it is not answered in the mean time.....

why not send him a pm (majority of people will have ticked the box to notify them of private messages,) if so a copy is sent to their e mail address, so they will see the message long before they log onto the forum

steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
johnk
Forgot to mention - Most reputable dive outfits (including PADI) will require you to sign a disclaimer and declare any medical conditions in order to cover themselves for any dive accident. Also bear in mind that in the unlikely event of an accident your insurance would be invalidated. I would recommend seeing a dive Doctor for a professional medical opinion that will give you peace of mind.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
MikeBellows
Thanks for all the info.

I have been to see my doctor, who advised me to see a Dive Doctor to have a full medical examination. He also described the dangers involved, which has put me off trying scuba diving.
I am therefor happy and content with snorkelling around the island.

Regards

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
AlisonD
I have very mild asthma and I did the Discover Scuba course on Meeru earlier this year.

I don't take preventative medication for my asthma though and only use a Ventolin inhaler in the event of a (very infrequent) attack. I spoke to the Doctor on Meeru and they were happy for me to dive so I suppose it depends on the severity of your asthma.

I had no problems with my asthma during or after the reef dive that we did however I did perforate my eardrum - the pain of which was not unlike childbirth but concentrated in your ear instead (imagine pushing a watermelon out through your eardrum!)

I know I was unlucky but like you, will stick to snorkeling in future! Very Happy Very Happy Shocked

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
MikeBellows
Alison,
Thanks for your post. It's nice to hear from a fellow asthmatic who has tried diving.
I also have very mild asthma - I do a lot of running (upto 15 miles per week) and count myself as fairly fit. I use my inhaler infrequently also, but the way in which the doctor described the problems with diving and asthma has put me off. It far outweighs the the fact that I want to live!
As I understand it, if you dive with asthma, if you go to a depth and you have an asthma attack, you airways close or narrow. this in turn, traps the air in your lungs. When you surface, the air in your lungs expands and can explode your lungs.

I'm not sure it's worth the risk. I certainly would not self certify myself, in-case anything went wrong - My insurance would be invalid.

Regards

Mike.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
soobs
I agree Mike it's not worth the risk I am sure you will be content watching from above - snorkelling unless you are a real fanatic the views are great and I have seen some really great fish that way.

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
AlisonD
Mike - I completely agree with you and had it been told to me that way I wouldn't have gone ahead either!!

Like you, I consider myself to be fit and although not a runner I'm a swimmer and swim 2500m every day (crikey we're a healthy bunch aren't we!!!). Whether that had anything to do with the Doctors final decision to allow me to dive I'll never know but I think you are making the right decision based on what your GP has told you.

If I'm completely honest, while I'm glad I did the dive for the experience (apart from the perforated eardrum) I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be and again, in all honesty, I didn't see anything that I hadn't seen whilst snorkeling and particularly on the two-reef snorkeling trip organised by the dive centre which was superb and one that I would definitely recommend!

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
MikeBellows
Thanks Again Alison.

As I said before - I am more than happy snorkelling.
My wife and I visited Meeru 4 years ago and were blown away with the marine life in the lagoon and near the 700 villas.

25 Days to go!!!!

Regards

Mike.
Diving with Asthma 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
ross.mac
I am a PADI Divemaster and Master Scuba, I also have asthma.
I have dived now for over twenty years and logged almost 1,00 dives.
I have had to undertake an annual medical and ensured that my doctor is aware of diving.
DAN have no problems with regard to this and have insured me knowing I have asthma.
Scuba Diving & Asthma (Now With Poll) 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling