Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Hot Rock Restaurant Meal Experience Goto page 1, 2  Next
Hot Rock Restaurant Meal Experience 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
HJ writes: Well done to my Pam. She's completed her Hot Rock review - see below for this. It's her words that now follow....

HOT ROCK RESTAURANT MEAL REVIEW

Hello everybody! I don't normally write many words into the forum, that is mostly James's forte (he can type faster than me, well that's my excuse!). But after an amazing evening dining experience next to the beautifully night lit infinity pool I was game for writing it up for the forum. I made him do the photo insertions here though as he's definitely the techie one among us.

James had booked for 7.30pm on the 22nd March at the Hot Rock. We had a drink or two at the bar there first. If you read our newest trip report you'll know we met up with Linda (goes by the name t2truth on the forum) and Stewart there.

THE SETTING

By day you can get the impression the Hot Rock is 'just' a snack bar. But that would be so very misleading. We were bowled over by the service, quality (and quantity for that matter) of the food. We had a beautifully laid out table and were positioned just by the infinity pool with another couple nearby at another table. This photo here doesn't really convey how very pretty this pool is at night. It is all dappled light and strong turquoisey blue in reality with lighting under all the surrounding palm trees. Both the presence and sound of the water helps cool you down I'm sure too!

By the way, all the photos you're seeing in this review were all taken with my diddy camera rather than with James's big camera. He said he wanted room on the table for food (!) and left it in the room.

THE MEAL

The first thing that turned up was this beautiful basket of breads accompanied by little butter curls (so no unwrapping of butter packets required here!). These breads were totally fresh and delicious. When we ran out of butter, a fresh set of butter curls was asked for and turned up immediately.

For a starter, I ordered scampi wrapped in bacon. I have never seen such huge scampi in my life, almost like small lobsters these were! They were just gorgeous. This is a piccie of them. I should have left my hand in this view to give you a better sense of scale. They were SO huge and really tender with it. And when I plucked them from their shells they fell out whole too!

James is less of a seafood fan than me and he'd gone for the avocado with roasted chicken. Here's a view of that. He really tucked into these and like a good boy finished it all!

As we were both new to the whole Hot Rock concept we were each intrigued by what would follow next. There was Kangaroo as well as Ostrich on the main menu but we both had decided to go for the Brazilian beef fillet. You get a choice of Lady's Size and Man's Size portions for these. I opted for the Lady's size and James duly went for Man's size portion. If the worry that I had ordered something a bit undersized was in my head it soon went away. Both portions are substantial and there was not a speck of waste in the meat. I believe the Brazilian fillet exact weights are 250 grams (8.8 ounces in old money) for the Man's portion and 180 grams (6.3 ounces) for the Lady's portion.

The main part of the meal arrives on a tray with a section enclosing a lump of well heated lava. That's your cooking surface. It will arrive with some sea salt scattered on it plus the meat. If you don't want the salt you can brush it off or ask beforehand not to have the salt applied.

You'll notice the sauce area in the photo? When you order the meat you'll get asked which sauce you want. There's a very wide set of options on this front. I opted for 'Green Peppercorn', and James went for 'Nutty Satay'. Both tasted fantastic.

Even though we were new to the whole Hot Rock thing we soon got going with it. The best policy is to slice the meat up into pieces first and get them cooking individually. There possibly wouldn't be enough power in the lava to just cook the meat in one big unsliced lump. Unless, I guess, you like your meat very underdone/blue, which neither of us do anyhow.

Ooh, I nearly forgot something really important. You get asked for whether you want baked potato or French fries as an accompaniment. After many days away from anything resembling French fries we both picked those!

Pretty soon the fillet was looking perfect.

I can honestly say it was the best beef I have tasted anywhere and as a Yorkshire girl I can tell you that's saying something really profound.
Before too long it was 'Mission Accomplished' on the lava front!

But the delights did not end there. We were then offered a choice of sweets, in amongst the waiter then said the fateful words 'ice cream'. And so we were confronted with the most tragic of choices. 'Two scoops or Three?'. Tragic, because we were really very full by that point and the freshly made ice cream, especially the coconut variety, on Meeru is to die for. We both signed up for two scoops, me going with coconut and James went for chocolate ice cream.

With the ice cream came a lovely surprise. The surprise was in the way it arrived. The ice cream itself was in a dish, but sat on a vase filled with crushed ice to keep the ice cream cool. It's the only restaurant on the island that does this. 'How cool is that?' comes to mind!

Here's a view of James's yummy velvety chocolate paradise:

We had some difficulty walking back to our room but we managed it in the end! At the time we were there, there was a special offer running at the Hot Rock. If you booked for either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday the starters are free.

CONCLUSION

On reflection, both James and I think the Hot Rock restaurant is really superb; the waiter we had was wonderful with it too. He was efficient and full of humour too. We had a brilliant dining experience and we'll certainly revisit the Hot Rock again.

THE FUTURE

It's still early days for this only relatively recently opened venue so like other restaurants we've seen on the island I expect the menu offerings will develop and evolve over time. I heard someone say it would be nice if there was a 'medley' of meats option. I can see the sense in that. People who have not tried Ostrich or Kangaroo before, for example, might not be tempted to order a whole portion of either just in case they didn't like it. If you had a sampler option then you might tempt the less adventurous to try the unusual along with the more familiar.

That's it. Thank you for reading!

Love from

Pam ('Mrs HJ')

Last edited by Humble Jim on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
sams
Hi Pam

when I first read about the hot rocks idea I did not think it would be something we would go for, but after your fantastic write up and photo's I am now extremely tempted to try it when we go back in October.

Thanks for the report Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
jayjay123
Well done pam, looks really great. Photo's are great as usual james. Will make sure we book in October, Alan will want his coconut icecream you have him hooked on this lol

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
madmalteaser
I really like the concept of this restaurant. Can't wait to try it myself when I eventually get there! Great review!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
beancounter
thank you so much for that wonderful report Pam. I have been looking everywhere for a review of this new restaurant, and now I have one. I am now even more tempted than before to try this when we go back next year!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
helenpea
Hi Pam, Thanks for the report. I couldn't quite grasp the concept of it before, but now having read your report and seeing your pics I think that if we are lucky enough to go back again, it's something I'd like to try.

Helen Very Happy

The best things in life are not things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
AlanB
HI Pam
Wow this is now definately on the agenda for May along with the Asian Wok .
We have been eagerly awaiting a review of this restaurant so many thanks for a wonderful review.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Angie102a
Hi Pam
Thanks for the report the food looked absolutely fantastic, I cant wait to go. Am I being a bit thick for asking this, was this all inclusive. Me and my husband are going on 27 April and on an AI basis. Just wondered if this was one of the places you had to pay in and if so what are the prices like?

Thanks
Angela Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
James I put it as a stickie to go along Pamela's valentine beach meal stickie

steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
maggie
well pam

this might be your first review

but I hope it isn't your last

it was lovely to read and see this special new eating venue on Meeru

well done

both on your lovely acount

and your lovely piccies

think we all ate that fabulous dinner with you

and what a lovely setting

typical meeru

out of the ordinary yet very special

cheers

maggie Wink

[/url]

bear with me as I am blonde,and am awaiting next vacation
[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
AlanB
Angie102a wrote:
Hi Pam
Thanks for the report the food looked absolutely fantastic, I cant wait to go. Am I being a bit thick for asking this, was this all inclusive. Me and my husband are going on 27 April and on an AI basis. Just wondered if this was one of the places you had to pay in and if so what are the prices like?

Thanks
Angela Smile

Hi Angela none of the al la carte restaurants are included in the AI packages , you can see menus etc under dinning on www.meeru.com (except the hot rock as this is new and not yet on the website )

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
HJ here Very Happy.

I spotted at least a part of the Hot Rock price list in THIS thread which gives a good general idea.

Although we stuck to soft drinks there was a fine selection of wine options if we wanted to opt for wine. Meeru stocks very good wines.

When you are on island you can peruse the menu and pricing at your leisure if you stop by the infinity pool and Hot Rock restaurant and bar in the day, say.

Remember, too, that if you're on A/I then you aren't charged extra for drinks for a-la-carte meals provided the drinks you order fall within A/I scope.

HTH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Mark
Good report and photos. It shows how good the smaller cameras are as the quality is superb.

The hot rock concept is similar to how steak can be served on Madeira. Its simply called Steak on the Stone, and you are presented with a hunk of prime raw steak on a very hot slab of stone. The trick is to remove the meat as soon as possible or it will be very well done by the time you get to eat the last morsel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
helen m
Hi Pam
Thanks for a great report.
Must admit we decided not to try this on our recent trip but having read(and seen!) more about it it looks like something we would be tempted to try next year.
Think the ice-cream may just swing things as Shaun is a great fan Very Happy
Helen

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Thank you Pam.

The thought of all that delicious food made me salivate Laughing

Do the rocks stay hot for a long time then?

It's a great concept by Meeru, always thinking of fresh ideas Very Happy

Casey Cool

Hot Rock Restaurant Meal Experience 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports