Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » DSLR Course
DSLR Course 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
Well just booked a Camera Course for Me and My Daughter in Kibworth, Leicester...........£125 for 1 full day, so I`m now looking forward to finding out how to use my Camera instead of having it on Auto...................... mine is what they call a Bridge Camera, but Daughter has a DSLR, I have spoken to the Tutor, and he says that he can tweek the course to be benificial to me as well.

So watch this space Smile Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Mark
Our local college does a 5 week course, one evening a week, for basic DSLR use for £40.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:23 am Reply with quote
Shazo1
Yes Mark our local college probably does it as well, but as I have my 96yr old nan living with me, I m tied to the house in the week, so when I saw it was a Sunday I jumped at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
sallyandpaul
Shazo1 wrote:
Well just booked a Camera Course for Me and My Daughter in Kibworth, Leicester...........£125 for 1 full day, so I`m now looking forward to finding out how to use my Camera instead of having it on Auto...................... mine is what they call a Bridge Camera, but Daughter has a DSLR, I have spoken to the Tutor, and he says that he can tweek the course to be benificial to me as well.

So watch this space Smile Shocked

Good luck with that Shaz.I have still got to sort a course out for myself.

sallyandpaul xx Twisted Evil

[/url]

We are Not Invisible!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
Yes I`m looking forward to it, its a small group only 6 people, it includes Lunch, and its from 10 - 5, and its classroom based in the morning, then outside in the afternoon, then back in to download piccies and discussion. So Meeru here I come...........

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
Well did my Camera Course yesterday, and thoroughly enjoyed it, I`m not professing to understand everything, but I am a little more Camera wise than i was on Saturday.

I know what Camera noise is now ( I thought it was the sound it made!! ) Rolling Eyes

I know when to apply ISO, I know what f.stop is, and when the adjust the f settings - to make portraits sharp with blurry backgrounds, know when to use fill in flash.

I just have to apply it now to my piccies - cant wait to get out there and give it a try - yesterdays piccies were trial and error......I had some problems with my focusing, but practice makes perfect.

Tutor said - think of it as your first driving lesson - now go and practice - when you think you are good enough to take your test - come back and do the Intermediate course - you never know I may do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
I am now thinking of upgrading from my Bridge Camera ( Fuji finepix S5600) - and I have been eyeing up a:

Sony Alpha A380 Digital SLR plus Tamron 18-200mm Lens and Free Kenko Filter - £399

Really because it comes complete with an 18 -200mm lens, which means now swapping and changing.

Anybody got any thoughts??

(Paul this is obviously an earlier model of the one you have posted, but it comes with a whopping lens - which the Tutor had on our course, and he said much better than carrying different lens around with you)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Shazo1 wrote:
..Anybody got any thoughts??

Here’s mine for what they’re worth.

Your logic is fine. As a travel lens, an 18-200mm saves the weight of several lenses and in moist climates the less times you take off the lens the less opportunity there is for extreme humidity to wash over delicate electrical and mechanical components inside the camera. Personally, I do like to take several lenses always but that's just me and I have strong shoulders Laughing.

An 18-200mm is a "super zoom" and as such you have to be aware of the compromises made designing such an item. If you're wise to them you can navigate around them or compensate for them.

1) A zoom lens is more complicated than a fixed focal length lens (i.e. it has more glass components). An 18-200m lens contains much complicated glass. The more glass there is....the dimmer the lens is. For given light conditions you have to use slower shutter speeds than you would for a “fast” fixed focal length prime lens. You can compensate for this though by using higher ISO settings (which raises the sensitivity of your camera sensor).

In old film days you could use ISO400 film instead of ISO100 film. But ISO400 photos exhibited obvious grain (though sometimes that was a nice effect to have). You could even "push" ISO400 film to ISO800 when developing the film but the grain became horrible then.

Wind forward to the present day and modern DSLRs have no trouble at all making good sharp contrasty non-grainy photos at ISO400. So in dimmer conditions have no hesitation about using ISO400 instead of ISO100. In fact you could stick with ISO400 by default when your 18-200mm is on board your camera.

Actually ISO800 (8x as light sensitive as ISO100) is not a no-fly zone for modern DSLRs either, so don't be afraid of trying ISO800 in reducing or poor light - but remember to change back from it when you're done with it. Even if you get reasonable results at ISO800 you ought not use it all the time Wink.

Worth mentioning by the way that there is also lots of good software around that can significantly reduce any electronic noise - the digital equivalent of film grain - in high ISO digital photos.

2) An 18-200m lens contains much complicated glass. Didn't I already say that ?! One thing that will manifest itself in your photos as a result of this is a degree of distortion. Distortion is most likely to show up at the extreme ends of the zoom range. Sometimes you will spot a 'pincushion' effect and sometimes the opposite, namely 'barrel' distortion. These things show up most when you shoot rigid straight edged, right angled things. On Meeru though you're not going to see much of those – most palm trees are naturally distorted anyhow Smile.

If distortion does become annoying in your photos be aware that there's software out there that can correct it in post processing.

3) Finally, don't just assume your 18-200mm is all you will ever need (it might be but you might not know it yet). One of the key pluses about a DSLR is, after all, lens interchangeability. It might suit you one day to buy a small fast little prime lens, or a macro lens, or whatever. Keep an open mind to photographic possibilities and what lens(es) could help deliver them.

HJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Shazo1
I know HJ - If i waited long enough - you would come through, many thanks for your imput - and I have taken it all on board - I am still however gonna play about with my old Hybrid/Bridge Camera - till I have perfected all the settings for different shots - as I still am using flash cards at the moment.

I was advised on Sunday to always leave the camera on (P) setting - (ISO) 400 Shutter 125 and you cant go wrong, and then get your shot, and if need be fiddle with it - to get the better shot if need be.

As for lens`s, I do have UV, Polarised and Macro len`s for my Camera, surely with the right connections these can be used on any DSLR.

But I will keep in mind what you say - my main thinking of the 18 - 200 is on Safari next year, I dont really want to keep changing lenses and missing the action, where on Meeru, you have a little more time to think about a shot - unless you want to capture that Ray that just swam past - or a Tuna thats just about to come round the Island.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Shazo1 wrote:
..As for lens`s, I do have UV, Polarised and Macro len`s for my Camera, surely with the right connections these can be used on any DSLR.

Filters is what you meant, I think? Yes, filter threads are standard across lenses from all manufacturers but the sizes (diameters) vary. There are standard sizes though and the filter size you need will normally be found at the front of your lens. I have assorted lenses that use from 58mm up to 77mm size filters (they all relate roughly to the thickness of the lenses).

Not sure how old your filters are? If they are old ones from film days then consider replacing them. If the polariser is non-circular polarising filter then don’t try to use it as that will definitely confuse your digital sensor. If your filters are modern ones that fit on your new lens then that’ll be fine.

If you have some 58mm filters knocking about then these won't go on a 62mm filter diameter lens (if 62mm is your required filter size). You can sometimes get stepper rings to go down a size from larger diameter filters but these can prove a problem with some lens hoods and lens designs. It’s best just to get the filter size for the lens in my view.

Incidentally if you don't get a lens hood with your lens (or if the lens does not have an integral hood built into it) then I'd recommend spending out on one. If you are in bright light conditions especially then a lens hood will reduce or eliminate lens flare spoiling your photos. The lens hood has to be the right one for the precise lens model; you want to avoid seeing the effect of a too long/too narrow lens hood causing vignetting in your photos.

HTH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
Thanks for the info HJ - the Lens`s are all relatively new ones purchased for my Bridge Camera - and they included quite a few step up/ step down rings - but as you say, if i am splashing out on a new camera - i will probably have the correct lens type for the camera - and yes I will get a hood - I do have one - but as you say, wont be suitable for any old lens.

My UV Filter again is new - but would purchase a new one, I shall just ebay my camera with all attachements with it.

Many Thanks HJ