Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » What software
What software 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Kenny tyler
Im now the PROUD owner of a Canon eos 500, im looking at picture editing software and have bought Photo pro 3 by serif, now im still learing the basics of photography, and editing im a total novice, is this any good or can you recommend a better one?

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
sallyandpaul
Hi Kenny there could be some free stuff online you could use take a look on http://www.computeractive.co.uk/downloads/

sallyandpaul xx Razz

[/url]

We are Not Invisible!!!
Re: What software 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Kenny tyler wrote:
Im now the PROUD owner of a Canon eos 500...

Congratulations...and it also means you should also have Canon's own photo editing software on disk(s) that arrived in the same box as the camera. The Canon software is known as Digital Photo Professional (DPP). DPP has a fairly quirly interface but you can do a lot with it quite easily such as change contrast/brightness along with other more advanced actions. In the sense that you've already paid for it by buying the camera, DPP is a free item that will cost nothing to get to know.

There are good free photo editing suites out on the Net also worth checking out. Google's Picasa is one of particular note:

http://picasa.google.com/

As you're starting out you should find what you have already to hand will be more than enough for a while. If and when you decide to move to shooting RAW photos rather than JPGs then there is a raft of options for that too but that's for later.

It's right to consider software at the outset but your main goal should be to concentrate on learning your hardware, taking lots of photos, practice getting good composition etc. etc.
Re: What software 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Humble Jim wrote:

It's right to consider software at the outset but your main goal should be to concentrate on learning your hardware, taking lots of photos, practice getting good composition etc. etc.

Hi Kenny,

Very good advice to note above and indeed getting hands on and getting correct exposures and the like should be your first priority in bagging some great shots.

By all means introduce the software when required and be happy in the fact that the smallest and basic of editing & correction can achieve some great results. Why bother spending 20 minutes removing an object from a photo through editing, when a couple of steps in either direction would of sorted the problem for you. You will know through time the art of composition and suddenly things that would normally pass you by, is in fact a very good picture in the making.

As previously said the supplied basic editing software that came with your camera will be pretty decent in the short term, then try out your new software with all its tricks & wizardry when you feel more confident.

Nothing wrong with a little enhancing, but if the photo is nearly there in the first place it will be just that...enhanced a little Wink

Happy snapping!

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Kenny tyler
Many thanks for the advice , i am getting to basics in RAW at the moment and understanding how to get the most from it, i did get the DPP HJ and i am looking at it when i can.

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
If you're playing with RAW already then you'll maybe already have sussed that DPP will handle those fine. Once you've tweaked your RAW file you can export from DPP to TIF or JPG files or whatever. One very neat thing about DPP and RAWs is that if you have shot RAW photos with a particular 'Picture Style' setting on your camera (look up what Picture Styles are in your camera manual) then you can swap to a different Picture Style inside DPP, i.e. after you have taken the photo.

For me, the best RAW handling program is Adobe Lightroom (version 3 is just released). Not cheap at £232 but it is beautifully designed, easy to get into, and is brilliant for also organising RAW files - you will eventually accumulate lots of RAWs and Lightroom has a great library facility. You can tag your RAW files with keywords which means you grow a searchable photo library as your files accumulate. Lots of good free video tutorials for using Lightroom are on the Net, including at Adobe themselves. You can tryout Lightroom on a fully functional basis for a trial period if you want to at least explore that option for nothing.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshoplightroom/

HTH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote
Kenny tyler
Looks very intresting, i am tempted to purchase. if the boss lets me, many thanks Jim.

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
1983_Sarah
Humble Jim wrote:
For me, the best RAW handling program is Adobe Lightroom (version 3 is just released). Not cheap at £232 but it is beautifully designed, easy to get into, and is brilliant for also organising RAW files - you will eventually accumulate lots of RAWs and Lightroom has a great library facility. You can tag your RAW files with keywords which means you grow a searchable photo library as your files accumulate

Sounds amazing HJ but really hoping the OH doesn't see this (he is a lurker) or I won't be having any spa treatments in 10 days time! Shocked Laughing

Meeru May 2005
Meeru June 2009
Meeru 2010
Vilamendhoo 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:28 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
I see photo editing software as a tool to help the photographer.. Casey is right when he says the most important part is taking the photo right in the first place. However, for me there have been many times when the conditions just haven't been right to get the quality of photo I was after, thats where my photo editing software comes in. For my sins I also only shoot RAW unless I am in a rush and don't have time to process the shot.

Enhancing photos is nothing new, it has been done since the very first photo was taken, its just that the tools have got better just like the camera has got better.

I have Photoshop CS4 which was around £580 at the time. I know its expensive but it is the best photo editing software I have ever come across. It comes with Adobe Camera RAW and of course Adobe Bridge which is excellent.

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography