Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » Canon EOS 550D
Canon EOS 550D 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
sallyandpaul
Still looking to get a good DSLR Camera.
I have been looking at the Canon EOS 550D DSLR Camera with two EFS 18-55 + 55-250mm Lenses.
Any idea if this is a good camera package? Embarassed
Best price so far is about £772.95 Shocked
Any advice would be a great help.

sallyandpaul xx Cool

[/url]

We are Not Invisible!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Definitely a good price there, a very good price Very Happy.

In theory those two lenses more than covers the focal length range most people ever take photographs at.

Is it a good camera package? This is a bit harder to say TBH. Arguably, the lenses in that kit bundle don't really do the 550D's extremely fine sensor (a whopping 18 megapixels) full justice. A lot of this depends on what use the photos you are going to be taking are going to be put to. For holiday shots, web display and pictures you aren't going to print bigger than A4 then the lens choice is less important and the lenses will easily be fit for purpose. For large blowups though that sensor will show up small flaws in those lenses.

The bundle deal is great for what it is but for more serious photography an investment in more expensive glass will pay off with the 550D. And if you think you might end up Ebaying the kit lenses pretty soon (I've noticed that these are always being sold off on Ebay) then maybe that's also cause to rethink the lens side of things at the outset.

FWIW my recommend would be:

- get a 550D body by itself. Circa £600.
- purchase a single zoom lens. Say something like a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. Circa £250.
- buy a prime lens (i.e. fixed focal length) such as a Canon 35mm f2 lens. Circa £215.

The zoom would make a great travel/walkabout lens. It covers the vast majority focal lengths most of us ever use; namely medium wide to medium telephoto. The prime would do you nicely for lower light situations, general purpose photography, and is very light (i.e. easy to transport). The above comes to a tad over £1000 which is a lot more than your bundle deal. My hunch would be that you wouldn't want to part company any time soon with those lenses though.

Too much cost? Well, you could get body plus zoom I mentioned first (total then @£815) and decide if you ever need a prime lens much later on.

BTW if you crave a single zoom lens solution with greater focal length range then take a peek at the Canon 18-200mm (about £360 for that lens) to go with the Canon 550D. With such a wide zoom range you might think it's optically compromised and you'll not get razor sharp images but I've read many many accounts on how it delivers the goods.

Whichever lens you get allow some cash for purchasing a lens protection filter per lens. Some people get UV ones (more relevant for film photography), others just clear glass protectors. The aim is the same; protecting the lens glass itself. Scratching or marking a protective filter will cost you less than having to replace a lens. A side benefit it that such filters help keep salt and humid air from getting inside your camera - important that in the soggy brine laden air of Meeru.

I recently badly scuffed a UV filter of mine on my 10-22mm wideangle zoom lens. Cost nearly £70 to get a replacement clear glass protector, it was a big one at 77mm diameter. The lens itself though currently retails for over £500 so in this case the "filter insurance concept" paid off nicely.

Finally, if your lens doesn't come with a hood, then buy a lens hood for it. Hoods are lens model specific and cost a bit usually. They are worth it because in bright conditions they prevent or reduce incident light striking the top of the lens and creating flare across your photos.

Sorry for the volume of words. Hope they help somehow. Ultimately all just my viewpoint...take or leave what you will Laughing.

HTH

HJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:19 am Reply with quote
Alicia and Paul
The 550D does look like a great peice of kit.

If I was going to purchase I would opt for the 18-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0037KM0FI/letscook/ref=nosim

Currently a great price at Amazon (sold by Amazon not market seller)

£669.99

Great deal to say the body only is £604 on Amazon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote
Chas & Maxi
I've got the 500D which is a great camera ... would definitely go for the 550D.

Trips Reports
Kuramathi - http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8512&highlight=
Meeru/Bandos - http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5622&highlight=
Re: Canon EOS 550D 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Shazo1
sallyandpaul wrote:
Still looking to get a good DSLR Camera.
I have been looking at the Canon EOS 550D DSLR Camera with two EFS 18-55 + 55-250mm Lenses.
Any idea if this is a good camera package? Embarassed
Best price so far is about £772.95 Shocked
Any advice would be a great help.

sallyandpaul xx Cool

This is offered on Ebay -

Canon EOS KISS X4 / 550D 18-55mm 55-250mm +8GB Kit - £613 + £35 p&p

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote
Jonny_T
Have you considered something like this??? http://www.parkcameras.com/16104/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G1-Blue-14-45mm---45-200mm.html

this is the package i have and i am very very happy with it Very Happy because the G2 has now been released the price has really come down. Bit of shopping around can probably get it cheaper.

Regards
Jonathan

[/url]
Canon EOS 550D 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography