Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » Cheapest underwater camera worth buying?
Cheapest underwater camera worth buying? 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:55 am Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Hi guys,

After being a bit disappointed with the snorkelling photos taken with my Tesco single use underwater camera, and given that they are a tenner each and actual digital cameras seem to start at about 40, I was wondering if someone could please give me some advice on the cheapest digital camera that won't be a waste of money!

I know nothing about cameras and I snorkel once every other year on average, hence not wanting to spend much money on it. I have a decent out-of-water camera so am happy with something that only works in the water.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
You could look for an underwater housing for your camera we bought one for our nikkon, great piece of kit.

Si

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:52 pm Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
ivorfatarse wrote:
You could look for an underwater housing for your camera we bought one for our nikkon, great piece of kit.

Si

Thanks Si, we're a bit reluctant to do that firstly because the one for our camera is rather expensive, and secondly I would be very nervous having only one camera then taking it in the water!

Hopefully someone can help me once everyone comes out of chocolate hibernation Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
If it's Meeru you're headed to for your next snokelling destination then you could rent an underwater camera from the Dive Center at the island quite inexpensively; circa $25 per session (1/2 day) I heard plus they'll burn your photos to disk as part of the hire cost.

In my view the ability to take a large number of photos is probably the most important thing about whatever camera you use u/water. That's simply because you always have a higher reject reject rate of photos you take under the waves than above them.

As you get into the water you should always expect to take hundreds of marginal photos to get just a few good ones no matter what your photographic proficiency is.

The Dive Center cameras will suit but you should always book ahead by a few days. The reason is they only have so many so a bit of notice will help them manage their inventory of cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Humble Jim wrote:
If it's Meeru you're headed to for your next snokelling destination then you could rent an underwater camera from the Dive Center at the island quite inexpensively; circa $25 per session (1/2 day) I heard plus they'll burn your photos to disk as part of the hire cost.

In my view the ability to take a large number of photos is probably the most important thing about whatever camera you use u/water. That's simply because you always have a higher reject reject rate of photos you take under the waves than above them.

As you get into the water you should always expect to take hundreds of marginal photos to get just a few good ones no matter what your photographic proficiency is.

The Dive Center cameras will suit but you should always book ahead by a few days. The reason is they only have so many so a bit of notice will help them manage their inventory of cameras.

Hi HJ,

sadly the next trip is not to Meeru but to Barbados - sorry i should have put this in my original post.

I see a Vivitar 5399 on ebay for about 40 - any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
At that price I'd just buy a new one (if it was a second hand one you were looking at on eBay to begin with). This is what it costs on Amazon for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vivitar-V5399-Digital-Camera-Water/dp/B002DPLANG

Remember this takes SD cards only. Buy the max size memory you can to accumulate all those photos. 2GB is the max possible, which is bags of room for photos. The memory should only cost a fiver or less.

You'll get way better quality with this Vivitar than a disposable camera.

Previous mentions of this camera on the forum can be found by putting the term 5399 into the search facility.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Thanks for your help HJ.

I already have a stack of large SD cards for my other camera.

By the way the Vivitar price was from new.

I've now also seen the 7399 for only a few pounds more but am struggling for reviews on that one - has anyone used it please?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
Out of interest I just priced up an underwater housing for my DSLR camera:

I will stick with my Olympus MJU then! I have had the Olympus compact now for a good few years and it has been snorkeling with me more times than I care to think about, up to depths of around 5mtrs (only recommends 2mtrs!)
Its a tidy camera out of the water too! The model I have the SW790 is no longer available to buy new, however maybe you can get one on fleabay cheaply.

Here you go!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-Mju-790-SW-7-1-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-/330557687051?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item4cf6c6050b#ht_500wt_1074

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:19 pm Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Good god Mark, that's a ridiculous amount of money!

I bet the Olympus is good - that's what one of our land-based cameras is, but too much for my snorkelling camera. If I can I'd really like to only spend 40 unless that's going to be a total waste of money - but from HJ's post it sounds like the Vivitars are going to be much better than my single-use camera and after two holidays I've saved the money back (which for snorkelling holidays is about a four year period for me, hence not wanting to spend much!)

Hopefully someone will come along and tell me about the 7339 soon Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
keith&nicky
Hi there

I brought the vivitar 6200w 2 years ago for our honeymoon on Meeru, I was very pleased with the photos & the video on this camera.

The only problem I had was that the batteries didn't last long at all, si if you are going to go for the vivitar then I would suggest buying rechargable batteries.

Was thinking of upgrading to a newer version of the vivitar for when I go again in june.

Hope this helps

Keith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Thanks for all your help, will let you know what I decide to do and how I get on!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:10 pm Reply with quote
benchach
I have just bought the Panasonic DMC-FT3 (abit more expensive 300 ish)

It also does HD video and 3D stills you can display on you 3D TV

Waterproof to 12m, dust proof, drop proof and luckily for me Idiot Proof

Its very early and will have a better idea when i go to Meeru (1 week and counting Very Happy ) but so far looks to be very good.

I have read reviews by photographers (which i'm not) that say the pictures aren't as sharp as they would like, but looks ok to me

Will post some pictures when i get back Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
bushbaby_de
Thanks benchach for your response. You're also reminded me I didn't check back with what I did in the end. I bought a fairly cheap camera from Decathlon and was even more disappointed with that than the tesco disposable one! Lesson learned is, either don't bother or shell out some serious cash! I'll watch this thread with interest, ready for next years' trip....
Cheapest underwater camera worth buying? 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography