Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world! » Bill & Debs review from Vilamendhoo Goto page 1, 2  Next
Bill & Debs review from Vilamendhoo 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Billy
Hello guys. Just thought some maybe interested in my review.

Travelled with SLA. Nothing to complain about. Just ask for extra spirit or snacks. Had four seats to myself going and returning as there was so many empty seats at the rear…….. part of my great plan. ;-]

Slick system straight to own lounge and then onto the seaplane.

JBV 206. In our view a great location. Away from the seaplanes, jetty and deliveries and no view of the new harbour/shelter they are building with the small digger. Saw no work going on with the old Garden Villas……….BUT it is going to be some work when it starts as they are only shells at present. I did hear some low noise from the digger a few times in that area and it was being used at night by use of its lights.

The wife and I commented that we never felt the island was busy, whether on the beach, in any of the bars/pool or in the restaurant. Maybe agree however that at times it did miss the deserted island feel, if that makes sense.

Ok, so first lets comment on the spa. I had two treatments, the wife five. Not cheap but up to their normal high standard in a great location. They are lovely ladies.

Full Moon dinner at the Wok, beautiful food, clear night with stars and sat outside on the edge of the restaurant with the sea life going by. Try the seafood fondue.

Snorkel trips. Went on the Manta and Whale Shark and saw both. I swam with the Whale Shark by her side for about 40 minutes. Also saw two Turtles and two Mantas. Swam with them for the same. Heard that on the trips previous that week that they had seen 20 and 50 Mantas from the dive staff!!!

Food was very nice but they may have to look into a issue with flies on some days/nights where it is not covered. The mossie candles did not always do the trick. The young man at the Boashi bar did us some great cocktails both on and off the AI. The wife and I must have tried half the menu.

The reef is excellent. Saw the normal. In fact I recon I saw ¾ of the fish on the Maldives fish guide, Including a couple of octopus, nice sized Leopard Moray and cuttlefish. Plenty of Jack fish hunting and lovely shoals of what I think was Fusilier fish. Even saw flying fish. Sharks and rays as standard.
My tip. Snorkel the reef at different times. Early morning and just before sunset and at different tides. You will notice the difference. Some beautiful soft and hard corals. Some parts of the island in my view had better spots that others.
The JWV area was lacking any real sea life in our view, compared to other islands we had visited.

I noticed that the promotion on at the moment was $200 per couple to upgrade from a BV to a JWV a night., or $100 a couple a night from a JBV to a JWV. Which sounded like a sweet deal.

We tried all the bars/pools, inside and out. They all seemed to have a different feel which was nice.

The mini bar is a really nice touch and an appreciated extra. The 3 wines were all drinkable. Rosé was very sweet.

In conclusion we had a great time and would recommend the island. Happy for any questions

Vilamendhoo : May 2011

Vakarufalhi
Vilamendhoo ; Pre-upgrade.
Ranveli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Billy
Ok.........happy for a little debate or if people would like me to compare.

For one the Jacuzzi really worked well as you would expect and not just a big bath.

The snorkelling is fantastic. Yet the sea life around the new JWV on Vila was nowhere near as active as Meeru. Something the wife commented on and missed.

Seaplane transfer only.

Lots of Ex-long term Meeru staff.

Hot cooking station a little of a let down compared to Meeru.

Last edited by Billy on Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Vakarufalhi
Ranveli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
soobs
Great report Billy sounds great if you could choose to go back to one island now which would it be?

I am sure Sarah will be waiting for your report

I am just about to book Meeru for 15.6.11 for OH 60th but keep looking at other options what I would really like is 2 islands but that is where the costs go up and I need to keep as low as possible after last weekends 2nd royal wedding for daughter number 1 out of 4

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Billy
Hi soobs. Hope you are well

Wife would return to Meeru.

Me Vila for the snorkelling. That aside I would happily return to Meeru to a JWV. Wink

Quote:
I am just about to book Meeru for 15.6.11 for OH 60th but keep looking at other options what I would really like is 2 islands but that is where the costs go up and I need to keep as low as possible after last weekends 2nd royal wedding for daughter number 1 out of 4

Enjoy............................I’ve not finished paying for University yet. Now she’s talking about doing a masters. Crying or Very sad

Two islands.............you could always take the over-booking offer up?
They have a varity of different ones at times. They had Mirihi when we were there. Now that island comes tops on Trip Advisor. One of the best reefs in the Maldives.

Vakarufalhi
Ranveli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
1983_Sarah
Billy wrote:
Two islands.............you could always take the over-booking offer up?
They have a varity of different ones at times. They had Mirihi when we were there. Now that island comes tops on Trip Advisor. One of the best reefs in the Maldives.

Was this on Meeru or Vila?? That is meant to be an amazing island it's teeny tiny and very luxurious!

Thanks for the report Billy I read it again on here Laughing

Meeru May 2005
Meeru June 2009
Meeru 2010
Vilamendhoo 2011

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
soobs
Thanks Billy

I know what the student loan situation is like my eldest daughter is 30 and got married on Sunday and her's is still hanging over her head !!!

The last 2 times we have been to Meeru we have hoped for over booking with the hope of Velegandu - i think but not even the cruise has come up.

Here's hoping and that is one of the main reason's we are going back to Meeru because we know there is a chance of something else and if all else fails we wont be dissapointed. Although saying that the service wasn't as goo last August as it had been before. Put it down to a lot of staff were on Villamendu training ect apparently.

Anyway all I need to do is book it

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
Billy
Quote:
Was this on Meeru or Vila?? That is meant to be an amazing island it's teeny tiny and very luxurious!

Hello Sarah............stop following me around mate. Laughing

I meant when I was on Meeru but Vila has had similar offers but not when we were there. Could be a more peak period/dry season thing Question

Quote:
Thanks for the report Billy I read it again on here

You notice I do try and get a little debate going........ Rolling Eyes .....but they are a little more reserved on there. Laughing

...........now about these flies..............lol

Vakarufalhi
Ranveli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
sams
Great to hear your views on Vilu, but if you had a choice of like for like accomodation would you choose Vilu or Meeru? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Billy
Hello sams.

Vila is a smaller copy of Meeru as I'm sure you know, so they are very similar. Not really enough in it to choose.
Vila are upgrading their garden villas at the moment however and are in a better spot than the Meeru ones in my view.

That said I would choose the JWV on Meeru over the JWV on Vila due to the sea life.

Vakarufalhi
Ranveli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Billy
Quote:
Anyway all I need to do is book it

Get it booked mate........and worry about the paying later. Wink

Vakarufalhi
Ranveli

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
sams
Thank's for that Billy, seems like win, win which ever island you choose Smile

For me though I think the beach on Meeru might just tip the balance, though for hubby it sounds like the snorkelling on Vilu is better. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Billy
Sams that is true.

Meeru gets a hard time especially on Trip Advisor. Yet they forget things like that. The beach on Meeru knocks socks of Vila

Vakarufalhi
Ranveli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Quote:
.............you could always take the over-booking offer up?
They have a varity of different ones at times. They had Mirihi when we were there. Now that island comes tops on Trip Advisor. One of the best reefs in the Maldives

Billy

Now Mirihi would be my ideal Maldives Island, but i think i may end up being bored if only due to its size.....
and as it is mostly a German resort ....i could only go if a footie match was due Laughing

Thanks for the Villa report

steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Billy
Hello Steve mate.......

Yep, very small.

Quote:
mostly a German resort ....i could only go if a footie match was due

Box heads......... Laughing

Vakarufalhi
Ranveli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Jeanette
Hi Billy

Can you walk round Vila barefoot like at Meeru?
Also is the snorkelling s good as Lily beach Question

We're giving it a try for Xmas and new year Smile

Bill & Debs review from Vilamendhoo 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world!