Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » Help needed, Photo prints!
Help needed, Photo prints! 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
jamjar
Just had some of our digital photos printed at Boots. When we got home and checked them the colours dont appear to be very accurate. The sea and sky shots seem to be too green. They are greener than our memories and our computer screen. Where does everyone else get their photos developed? Do you recommend we return to Boots? On their website they say our computer screen would be at fault, but surely our memories are not.'Confused
Many thanks,

Janet X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Alicia and Paul
Hi Janet, How do the images look on your computer screen? Also when you had the photos developed at Boots did you use one of those self develop boxes where you insert the memory card and choose the photos you want to print? If you did do you remember how they looked on that display screen?

If possible could you post an example on here?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
jamjar
Hi, photos look fine on 2 different computer screens and even the iphone screen. We used the self service kiosks but only saw thumbnails so couldn't tell what the colours looked like. Think we need to take them back to Boots, is there a better way of getting them printed?

Thanks

Janet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
I tend to use on line photo shops ie photobox as well as getting prints it also gives me on line storage, which increases with every order.

They are lots of similar sites out there.

As prev said it would be interesting to view one of the piccies as this may give a better indication,

It may also help with Boots to get a couple of prints done by another high street shop and see how these look, if better than boots it may help with a refund etc.

steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
jamjar
Many thanks for your quick replies, I have re-checked the pictures on my computer as well as my husbands and we have even tried them via a media player on our TV, they all look OK. Not sure if the prints are just too dark rather than too green, will try and get some samples printed from other sources to compare with the one's from Boots.

This is an original, unable to copy print as scanner is broken, however you can hardly distinguish the timber on the rooms in the print, the sky is also darker blue and the water is much greener.

Thanks again for the advice.

Janet X

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Hi Janet,

After reading your post, it seems you definitely have concerns with the photo processing of your prints rather than the hardware involved (camera).

It can be harder to spot problems with images if you don't have another version for comparison (same prints from another outlet), but there are a few things to watch out for.
If you're not sure if it's your poor photography or the processor to blame, look for colour bias.
Simply check the colour of a part of the photo you're familiar with, such as a cloudy white sky. If you see unnatural colour, such as a heavy tint of yellow, red, blue or green, reject the photo. Check too for loss of detail that was there in the on-screen image.

As you have mentioned most of these things then it is coming across quite clearly that the set up on the Boots self processing kiosk is wrong.

Other common faults include under-printing (too dark), over-printing (too bright), and badly cropped edges or unsightly white borders.

If you are not satisfied with how your photo's have been processed then Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, the processor has to use reasonable care and skill and must use materials of satisfactory quality. If it doesn't and the photos are not of satisfactory quality, it will be in breach of contract. Ask the processor to put its breach of contract right by reprinting the pictures correctly. If it gets it wrong again, ask for your money back and get the photos produced elsewhere.

If the second processor charges more than the first, you'd be entitled to ask the first to pay the difference.

I hope that the above is of some assistance to you. Don't be frightened to quote the above to Boots & reclaim the difference if subsequently you use a 'decent' outlet that can get the basics right first time Rolling Eyes

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
Personally I would pop into Tesco, get a print done for 1 and do a comparison.

Computer monitors can play a part though, mine is awful. You can have your monitor calibrated but personally, I think the fault may be in the printing process.

Take them somewhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Alicia and Paul
Yep I would agree, I've now looked at your sample photo on 3 different monitors and my phone and all show it looking correct. I think it is definitely worth getting a single print from another place as Mark suggests just to compare. If that turns out well then you should be able to claim your money back from the original place.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
jamjar
Thank you everyone for your replies. Gonna have a couple of prints done elsewhere to compare, then return to Boots. When youve travelled all that way for your holiday you want the colours on your prints to be correct. I dont want to show anyone the photos yet until the colours are right. I want them to see Meeru looking its best.Very Happy Heres hoping it will be sorted soon.
Cheers. Wink

Janet X

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
Mark Jones
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
jamjar
Been back to Boots(a different one), they reinbursed us for the first set of prints and developed another set free of charge. This second set are better than the first set. Still dont think they are perfect. Next time we will try somewhere different ie Tesco or Jessops. Think we should go back to meeru just to double check the colours Very Happy. Thats a good reason to return. Thank you again for all your advice.

Janet X

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
AlanB
jamjar wrote:
Been back to Boots(a different one), they reinbursed us for the first set of prints and developed another set free of charge. This second set are better than the first set. Still dont think they are perfect. Next time we will try somewhere different ie Tesco or Jessops. Think we should go back to meeru just to double check the colours Very Happy. Thats a good reason to return. Thank you again for all your advice.

Janet X

Hi Janet we process our pictures on line with www.snapfish.co.uk , they usually then arrive within a couple of days and for a 6x4 print charge around 9p per picture plus Postage but they do offer all sorts of sizes. The quality we have seen is very good.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]
Help needed, Photo prints! 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography