Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world! » A bit closer to home! Forest Holidays
A bit closer to home! Forest Holidays 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:09 am Reply with quote
Jonny_T
Well after last years trip to Meeru we're still doing things a bit cheaper to save up for our next 'big trip' abroad.

We stumbled across Forest holidays Last year and had a couple of nights away which we enjoyed so this year we decided to have a week somewhere. As Hayley hadn't been to Scotland we chose Strathyre from the 5 or 6 locations in the UK and booked a week (2nd to 9th September 2011).

It's a fair old drive from Holmfirth being about 4 1/2 hours but we set off on friday morning around 10:30 with the car bursting at the seams with walking boots, clothes, food and all my camera stuff Smile plus a picnic for lunch Laughing the drive was pretty straightforward and quite picturesque in places, particularly when you pass Glasgow and get on the twisty roads.

We arrived at our destination about 3:15 to find check in isn't until 4pm. No bother. We decided to have a walk around the site and down to the loch to see what's about. First impressions were good and we were looking forward to getting our Cabin key.

Check in was simple and probably a 2 minute job. the site staff were very friendly (we noticed this last year too at Keldy) and helpful. Keys in hand it's time to relax Cool

We unpacked the car just in time as the weather turned a little damp Rolling Eyes it rained for a while but we were busy settling in so wasn't an issue. We booked a Silver Birch cabin which has a wood burner and a jacuzzi on the decking Very Happy The cabin was clean and tidy, it did show a little wear in places but that is to be expected i suppose.

We spent a week relaxing in the jacuzzi or on the decking or on days out. We followed the Trossachs trail visited Doune Castle (quite impressive) and local villages. there were ranger led activities if you wanted to do them like Dusk walks, canoe on the loch etc but we didn't bother.

We were pretty lucky weather wise, it rained a bit (mostly overnight) and was quite sunny too.

We had a semi friendly local rabbit that would sunbathe on the grass by our cabin and lots of birds around too. i decided to practice my 'birds in flight' technique whilst i had chance. Now Seagulls are easy but little sparrows and Robins are really really fast Laughing here are a couple that i managed to catch plus some other snaps....

Robin
[img]
Robin1 by Rage-Images, on Flickr[/img]

Beat it
[img]
Landing-bird2-web by Rage-Images, on Flickr[/img]

We've been busted leg it
[img]
escape by Rage-Images, on Flickr[/img]

Finally got a decent one
[img]
Landing-bird-web by Rage-Images, on Flickr[/img]

Friendly Rabbit
[img]
Rabbit by Rage-Images, on Flickr[/img]

Our Cabin
[img]
Cabin1 by Rage-Images, on Flickr[/img]
[img]
Cabin2 by Rage-Images, on Flickr[/img]

Doune Castle
[img]
Doune-Castle by Rage-Images, on Flickr[/img]

In Summary. We enjoyed it and are already looking to try one of the other locations next year.

Jon

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
helen m
Great photos!
Sounds like you had a lovely week-glad the weather was kind Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Chas & Maxi
Amazing pictures .... what camera/lens did you use?

Trips Reports
Kuramathi - http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8512&highlight=
Meeru/Bandos - http://www.meeru.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5622&highlight=

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Jonny_T
thankyou both for your kind words.

I used my Nikon D7000 with 70-200mm lens

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:21 am Reply with quote
Loandbigman
Wow loved your photos and sounds like you had a wonderful trip. We stayed in the Trossachs for last Christmas in Balquhidder and with all the snow we had a magical time. I love Scotland!!

Lo
xxxxx
A bit closer to home! Forest Holidays 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world!