Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Our 6th Visit, October 13th – 27th 2011 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Our 6th Visit, October 13th – 27th 2011 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote
sams
We flew out of Manchester for the first time, which is around a four and a half hour drive from where we live in south west Scotland. We had booked parking in the multi storey car park so all we had to do was trundle our bags across, under a covered walkway to T2.
The time at the airport passed fairly quickly even though there was a bit of a delay to our flight. Helped at the time by reading one of HJ’s mini reports, it was so lovely waiting for the flight out while seeing those beautiful photos knowing in a few hours’ time we would be there. A real treat indeed.

The aeroplane was one of the older Thomson ones with the row of four seats in the middle, not nearly as comfortable as the ex-first choice that we were used to flying with. . (I also felt sorry for anyone who had booked premium seats as there was no premium cabin on this plane)
I had a bit of a numb bum by the time we arrived. This was quickly forgotten about when views like these started to appear, you just can’t help but smile

Touched down in beautiful sunshine and walked out of the plane to feel that heat, bliss.

In no time at all we were on the boat and on our way to Meeru, the crossing was very smooth, lots of people nodded of on the way. The approach to Meeru came into view, the Asian wok, the palm trees, the white sand, turquoise sea, ahh home again.

As repeat guests we were met by one of the staff holding a wee board with our name on it and taken to the front of the Kakuni bar, and given a coconut drink and a cooling face cloth. Our water room this time was 527. The only thing we were not so happy about was having to wait an hour for our room to be ready, as all you really want is to get out of your travelling clothes and get freshened up. I also wondered if we might have had to wait longer if the flight had not been delayed. Anyway after that small hiccup we got to our room and were soon settled in. The first thing I did was get straight into the Indian Ocean, it felt like heaven, the water was so warm, I just stayed there and bobbled about for ages.

The first week of the holiday was very hot, it was a case of in and out of the water all day just to keep cool.

We did a few of first’s on Meeru this time. This was the first time we had eaten in the Asian wok we went on the first Friday of our holiday, and have to say the food and service was wonderful, hubby loved the spring rolls but my favourite had to be the home made coconut ice cream, I’d go back to Meeru just to have that again, you really have to try it. It’s funny we had always meant to go on previous visits but never quite got around to it.

It was also the first time I had been out to the house reef, again I had always meant to do it .One of the things had that put me off was I am sometimes a bit nervous in deep water, so when I signed up for it, I had it in mind that if I wasn’t sure I would stay on the boat. When we got to the reef I got a snorkel vest so that put my mind at ease, jumped off the boat and away, I can honestly say I felt extremely safe and enjoyed every moment. Mo, that’s my hubby by the way, had done the house reef years ago but at that time with one thing and another reef had not been very good. This time however he saw a huge improvement , and I thought it was fantastic so good in fact we went out again a few days later. The second time was just as good, there were clouds of fish, and some of the group saw a turtle.

The other first, was using the swimming pools, in particular the pavilion infinity pool, we used it a few times in the afternoons when the sun had left the front of the water rooms. Ramesh at the pool bar really looked after us, he remembered us from last time when he was in the Kakuni bar .It was a real treat to be in the Jacuzzi bit of the pool and have a wee rose wine suddenly appear, huge thanks to Ramesh he is a star. Imagine all those firsts in one visit, we were quite worn out.

Other members of staff that were fantastic were Saied at the Dhoni bar, Rana and Shariffe at the Kakuni and all the guys at the Pavilion, especially Naseeh who we first met in 2008 when he was a wee trainee of 16 and used to work at the Kakuni he moved to the Pavilion recently, and when we kept missing each other this visit he had his friend Shariffe keep an eye out for us and then he came all the way down the island and found us. As many of you know most of the staff on Meeru are wonderful, it is largely them that make Meeru a place you want to return to again and again.

On our last Tuesday evening we had one of those beautiful calm, still Sunset evenings I think this was only the second one we have had in six visits the sea is like a pond and to top it off it was romantic music night at the Dhoni bar, it was so beautiful that night my eyes started leaking. It is an evening that will stay with me for ever, even now thinking of it I can feel the tears welling up.
Sadly I did not have the camera that night, but the photo below was an amazing sunset, I think about half way through the holiday.

The second week of our stay the weather changed and on the Saturday we had a whole day of rain, so it was a day to read and eat. Other days were a bit showery too, then on our last day another rainy day, which meant the packing was done earlier than normal.

Every time we go to Meeru in some ways it is like going to a different island, as it changes in shape and wildlife. Last year we saw loads of eels this time we only saw a couple, this time we saw large shoals of wee fish, often with a couple of wee sharks patrolling round with them. The island looked different as this year the sand spit that had been way in front of the 700’s was tiny..though I think it was starting to grow a bit by the time we left. Also on our last couple of days the tide was further out than we had ever seen it, much to the enjoyment of the heron who was finding little pockets of fish who he spent quite a bit of time practicing his fishing techniques on, not even eating them just catching them then dropping them again.

Our flight home was fairly uneventful, a better aeroplane, back to having three seats in the middle much comfier all together. Shame the woman in the row in front of us felt the need to recline her seat all the way home, I wouldn’t have minded so much if she had been sleeping but she had herself propped up playing games. We could not recline ours as there was a family behind us and just could not be so selfish. Still at least the seats were more comfortable. We had a fairly bumpy landing at Manchester which the cabin crew made a few jokes about.
Stayed the night at the Radisson blu hotel, which was very handy. Woke up at around 4 am next morning and checked out for a nice easy drive home.
To all of you who are going soon, have a wonderful time.

Shona & Mo
For more photos click
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sams1853/sets/72157628051155154

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Lovely report Shona and Mo. How right you are about how the excellent staff on Meeru make all the difference. Some really good photos as well - Humble Jim better 'look to his laurels' or whatever the saying is. Having read and looked at everything you've posted, me and the Mrs are now salivating about our upcoming 7th trip in February - can't wait !

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Laine
Thanks for the lovely report and photo's. My sisters and my countdown finally dosn't look a year away and your photos remind me of whats waiting.

Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
sams
Hi Rick, thank you for your kind words, glad you liked the photo's Very Happy

Hi Laine, the time will fly past, thank you for you reply Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Great report and lovely imagery as always, sams Very Happy.

Think I fell for some of the great sky scenery as you...!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:08 am Reply with quote
sams
Thank you HJ, yes it looks like we both took a liking to a certain cloud......I thought about you the night we had the fantastic stripey sunset I think that happened the day you and Pam had left for home Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Amazing shadows.

Maybe October is officially Stripey Sunset month Laughing .

This was Meeru on October 15th last year...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Ohhh, really enjoyed reading your report and seeing your lovely photos. The comparisons to previous visits and the special reference to staff really highlights one the reasons why people keep returning, really made me smile as it wont be long now!

Thank you for sharing and stirring up our excitement even more!

A & F

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
sams
Ann & Forbes, you will be back before you know it. Glad you enjoyed my report, I know I love reading them all.

HJ, that is a fantastic photo, I was there on the 15th Ocober last year, wonder what I was doing that evening as I missed that one Cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Cheers for the great report. You are putting me in the mood to book a 3rd trip. Although we have been to different Islands over the last few years Meeru still has got it for another repeat visit for sure Very Happy

Love the photos, some dramatic shots there.

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Humble Jim
sams wrote:
...HJ, that is a fantastic photo, I was there on the 15th Ocober last year, wonder what I was doing that evening as I missed that one Cool

Hmmm. Just checked. Apologies. I was a year off. That was Oct 15th 2009.

I'm getting older faster than I realise Laughing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:43 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Some great photos.

I agree about your thoughts on the staff

steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
sams
Hi Casey, we tried other islands too, but Meeru just has something special that draws us back Smile

Glad you like the photos Steve Smile

and HJ that will be why we missed that sunset Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:51 pm Reply with quote
helen m
Lovely report and great photos Very Happy
I so agree-the staff really do help to make the holiday.
You're right about the things you mean to do but somehow never get round to despite not quite knowing where the time has gone! Next time I'm determined we will kayak round the island Very Happy
Glad you enjoyed the Wok-we've always found the food and service wonderful.
Thanks for sharing your experience Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
sams
Hi Helen, the wok was excellent Smile

We have done the kayak round the island a few times, it can be really hard work...well for hubby that is Wink Laughing