Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography » Panasonic DMC-G2 with LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6
Panasonic DMC-G2 with LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:39 pm Reply with quote
AlanB
Hi does anyone own or have any knowledge of this DSLR camera and lense bundle , My neice is looking to buy a camera to use whilst at college basically to take zoom picture of various fashion shows etc and has a limited budget. she has seen this one in argos for around 410 but isnt sure just how suitable this would be for the purpose above. any advice would be greatly appreciated as to the suitability of the camera and the lense and any suggestions on any lenses that would be more suited for zoom photography of this nature.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
1ee
Alan, I'm not familiar with the camera but here are my thoughts on the lens. Although the lens technically does "zoom" from 14mm to 42mm, that range is hardly anything. 14mm is a wide angle which would be more suitable for landscapes. Fully zoomed in at 42mm is the sort of angle you'd use for close up portraiture not really to get those close up shots she'll want from a long distance. Wide open (aperture wise) the lens is only f3.5, which isn't particularly fast and she may need a fast lens for this type of photography.

I would personally say that this bundle is not a good choice for the task at hand.

This website is an excellent source to get an idea of what cameras are currently selling for e.g. the Canon EOS 1100D Lens Kit (EF-S 18-55mm III lens) can be bought for 347 at the moment from pixmania. In fact, the bundle you mention can be picked up on Amazon for 349. I don't know how the Canon compares to the Panasonic you mention as I haven't looked into it but it's worth a look. Having said that, the Canon still only closes in to 55mm, not much more than the Panasonic.

If she went with the Canon she could then pick up the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG MACRO lens for 115. Not a particularly fast lens but it's got a good range.

If she wasn't interested in the 18-55mm kit lens which comes with the Canon bundle, she could get the body only for 294. Add the Sigma lens on for 115 and she'd be looking at 409. Cheaper than the Panasonic deal (the price she'd seen anyway) and more suited to her task in my opinion.

Like I said before though, I haven't looked at the technical specs for the Panasonic body but it gives you/her something to think about Smile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
AlanB
Hi Lee , many thanks for excellent feedback , i have passed on your comments to my neice and she can take a look at the cannon option.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Jonny_T
i had the G1 kit. i couldn't fault it as a starter kit for me and it's quite compact too.

Completely recommend it

[/url]
Panasonic DMC-G2 with LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Photography