Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ » Manta Rays
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Manta Rays 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Sue and Dave
I read somewhere (I think) that the Manta Rays tend to be seasonal. Can anyone tell me if we are likely to see them in November, please. Come to that, are dolphins seasonal too. And where do they go to?! Question

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote
Helen & Paul
Sue and Dave,

Mantas will be around somewhere in November, but seeing them depends upon whether you are divers.

Helen an I saw mantas when diving in march (part of the November to Apr dry season). The dive crew will know which is the best cleaning station to visit to spot mantas, though they can not guarantee them. See dive note below:

1. Bodu Hithi Thilla - Mantas !! Large thilla a 1hr speed boat trip away from Meeru. We dived this site four times in March 04 and saw mantas each time and loads of whitetips. Whale sharks were seen at this site the week before we dived there but we weren't that lucky. The surface interval snorkel was very memorable as we snorkelled very close to five large mantas - absolutely fantastic but tiring since they move very fast and you have to fin hard to keep up with them !

You will be unlikely to see mantas if you are snorkelling from the beach. You will see baby sting rays though.

If you do not dive the dive school do take snorkelling trips out. However, these do not tend to go out as far as the dive boats do, and I do not think that there is a cleaning station closer to Meeru.

Hope this helps.
Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Sue and Dave
Thanks Paul

Very informative. Unfortunately we are novice snorkellers only but I think I read somewhere that the Love Boat goes out to a manta station so we may get lucky!

Sue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:54 am Reply with quote
Helen & Paul
Sue and Dave,

That is great news. I have heard the love boat trip is excellent.

Enjopy the snorkling and hopefully mantas. They are very big (up to 5m across) and very fast but a fantastic experience to snorkle with. When you get back let us know what you saw.

Helen & Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Sue and Dave
We will post a trip report when we get back but it seems so far away-we're in the middle of Summer and by the time we return it will be less than 1 month to Christmas!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:56 pm Reply with quote
chrissi
Sue and Dave

We were there in February and snorkelled with mantas on the Love Boat Cruise. It was amazing, there must have been twenty or more of them! We also saw them by the reef on the west side of the island when snorkelling. I seem to recall that the mantas are in season from November to February but I couldn't swear to it. Hop you are lucky!

Chrissi and Rachel
Manta Rays 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » FAQ