Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world! » 10th Maldives trip - careful what you wish for..
10th Maldives trip - careful what you wish for.. 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
debandmark
This was our 10th trip to the Maldives, our 10th wedding anniversary and probably the last trip for the foreseeable that we would go to the Maldives as a couple (our children won't let us go again without them...they love it too!!) We had been to Baros 4times and Meeru 5times and thought that for this special trip we would go to Coco Palm Dhuni Kolhu. I have always wanted to go there, and thought given its 5star status, and large increase in cost, we would be in for something really specia.

We flew with BA, this was ok, but find the service experience etc with Emirates to be far better, at least it was direct though. Saw Greg Rudeski and his family on both flights...they seemed really normal, and was especially impressed that he did the nappy changing on the flight. The man sat next to my husband snorted, coughed watched telly and read GQ magazine whilst completely ignoring his poor wife sat behind us with two girls under five who were at times quite naughty and loud. Don't get me wrong, it didn't bother us, we have two little ones and know what it's like, but he could have help...anyway I digress.

Coco Palm was a real surprise...the seaplane circled the island before landing and it looked wonderful. Upon arrival at the jetty, the Coco Palm 3 piece band play their welcome song....a bit cheesy, but a nice touch. From the jetty and customer relations person takes you straight to your room, explaining stuff about the island on the way. We had opted for a Deluxe Villa as I had been spooked by trip adviser about erosion and sand bags around the beach villa area. This was a special trip, and we couldn't even think about the possibility of not having a proper bit of beach!!

Our room was lovely, rustic, but real 5 star. We had a plunge pool on the balcony which looked really nice, but just used to rinse our feet in it most of the time. We had our own bit of beach, but here the disappointment crept in. Our area was really private, surrounded by greenery, with a large 2ft sand shelf that you had to jump down to get to the sea. Because of this, by mid afternoon with all the greenery around, this side of the island was completely in shade, I think we were luckier than some though, some villas seemed to be completely in shade nearly all day. we soon sussed out why they provide a beach bag in the room...it's to help transport you and all your stuff around the island in pursuit of some afternoon sun!!! The waves really crashed in too, more like the Atlantic than Indian Ocean. Not the complete quiet I had been dreaming of.

We went Bed and Breakfast, as we wanted to be free to eat in any of the restaurants. One of our slight niggles with Meeru is that we pay full board and end up eating in the wok most nights. The Al a carte's were great, on a par with the Wok. We was very surpised on Valentines day, they did offer dinner on the beach, but it was very low key, little effort made and very expensive...I was really thinking of all the lucky people on Meeru that night. The main buffet one though was awful. We only had breakfast there, but this was not a great experience. Omelettes were nowhere near as good as Meeru (Omelettes are one of the highlights of our Maldives trips for me, so I was really gutted that they wasn't as good) As for the rest of the breakfast - vegetable puree juice and aloe vera yoghurt.....come on it's a holiday not health farm!!! Lastly on the breakfast front, there were a few flies about, and food was generally all open and not chilled....nothing would have induced us to risk the smoked salmon on offer, it looked warm and we didn't know how many flies had landed on it. This was a real surprise, you would have thought hygiene etc etc would have been really on the money.

You would think for what I've written so far that we didn't enjoy our holiday, we did, there were some aspects that were really good, nibbles with drinks went down really well with us, although at 30$ for a champagne cocktail, we mainly stuck to mocktails!!! There was a duo - Sally & Ian, see their web site http://www.wordgetsout.co.uk - who performed in the main bar every night, they were really good, played a fab variety to cater for every taste, but there seemed to be almost no-one in the bar after 10 o'clock!! The island itself is kept immaculately...there is not a leaf out of place...it's like walking through a postcard, but strangely doesn't feel quite right somehow.

All in all, it was a good week, but we just couldn't help comparing it to Meeru. I really have learnt the 'careful what you wish for lesson' now, as I'd always felt that although Meeru was great, we really should go and see other islands. I have no desire in that direction now, the only desire now is to book for next year to go back to Meeru as a family....at least I won't be lying on the beach thinking I wonder if.....now I'll be lying on the beach thinking yipeee we're here!!!

I will try to post some photos in the next couple of days.

Mark and Deb

Deb and Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Freckles
Thanks for the trip report, this is one of the islands I've always fancied. I too learnt my lesson a number of years ago. Having visited Meeru for the first time I wanted to try other islands and we spent two weeks at Maayafushi, there was no comparison to Meeru ,the standard of food, accommodation, beach and bar were all poor. They didn't even include water on AI.

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Nice to know you're not the only one!

Although you're almost kicking yourself at the time, it's best in the long run don't you think to get it out of your system and just get back to what you like best. If that makes sense??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Hi debandmark. Me and the Mrs have had just the same experience, trying other islands, albeit not top of the range - Summer Island Village, Hudhuran Fushi, even Vilamendhoo ( 'mini Meeru' ), but we've failed to find somewhere to compare with Meeru within a reasonable price range.So we've given up. Its Meeru again for us, 8th visit next time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
soobs
DITO tried & tested others, Meedupharu, Summer Island Village, Paradise and one other that cannot remember the name but slightly higher up than Summer Island and nothing compares to Meeru so we look no further anymore.

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Eleanor2
Hi Deb and Mark and thanks for the report

It's really good to read about other islands as yes, you always think you are missing something eleswhere.

We have only tried Meeru so have nothing to compare it with and although we think we should try other islands, we can't help but be drawn back to lovely Meeru. It's a beautiful island and we have loved each holiday there, mainly due to the lovely people we meet. We have made dear friends amongst the guests and staff. So Meeru for us, if we went somewhere else we would really miss the genuine warm welcome we get from the waiters and bar staff which really makes our holiday.

Look forward to some pics and may see you another time back on meeru

Eleanor Cool

[img:d795a28f58]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;103/st/20120124/e/4th+visit+to+meeru+magic%21/dt/6/k/6ea4/event.png[/img:d795a28f58]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi All,

There's a pattern here...we've all tried other islands but Meeru really does have something special about it..Elenor, I applaud you for not being tempted to stray and risk the possibility of being disappointed!

We had been to Baros 4times on the trot for our first visits and really loved it..it was a shame that it was closed and underwent a complete refurbishment complete with concrete rooms instead of the lovely wooden thatch affairs. Not only did it go out of our price range...it didn't look like Baros to us anymore and that's when we found Meeru.

It will only be Meeru for us from now on, and am itching to book for next April when hubby is 50. His birthday is actually on full moon next year....what are the chances of that..I think it's a sign!!!

Deb

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports from anywhere else in the world!