Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Tom & Jackie 14th May 2014 report with some photos Goto page 1, 2  Next
Tom & Jackie 14th May 2014 report with some photos 
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
camwil
We arrived in Meeru after a good flight with Emirates from Glasgow. We were met by Walter who with Dave our Rep advised us that we were not able to get our room for two days but we wre not concerned as we had a nice room for the period

We immediately got into the swing by visiting the new Dhoni bar to meet up with our old friend Saeed and he looked after us for the duration and was as attentive as usual. I do like the new bar but found it strange having 'beds' in there but they did seem to be popular.

In the afternoon after getting settled we took my diving gear down to the dive centre and got registered for a dive the following day. It was good to see Mark had been promoted to Base Leeder but I did miss diving with him over my stay. The diving was excellent as usual as Meeru has one of the best organised operations I have dived with. On one of the dives we were surrounded by both white tip and black tip reef sharks. Pity I did not have my camera on that dive but it was great!

At Walter's repeat get together we were asked to be chief guest at the Sunday meeting of the Titans on the football pitch. Jackie and I had to officially start the game and then inevatably award the cup to F&B at the end. It did not rain which was great but it was cloudy and that stopped us getting too much sun.

We visited both the Hotrock and the Asian Wok and the food was great at both venues but we preferred the Hotrock this time as we were lucky it was a warm and balmy evening with plenty of stars.

Our waiter in the Farivalhu was Ahmed who entertained us with his own sense of humour and he typified the staff on Meeru who make you feel important. The food was again excellent and Ronaldo has moved it up a level over the past couple of years as Executive Chef.

We met a few new freinds whilst we were there and hope to keep in touch.

Over the ten days we managed to walk round the island at least once a day and I still feel that theviews and the island are as beautiful as ever. The weather was mixed with allot of wind but that did not really interfere with our holiday apart from one of my dives being cancelled due to a storm.

Ten days (the first time we have not done at least 14) was not enough but we are off to Sorrento with grandsons in five weeks so we can't complain.

Will we go back? Yes but we have noticed a big hike in the prices so we may have to save harder Very Happy

Sorry the report is short and sweet but it is just like our holiday too short and definitely sweet Smile
Tom & Jackie 9/19 May 2013

Last edited by camwil on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:10 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Hi Tom & Jackie
Thank you for taking the time to post a report for your 5th visit and so glad to hear that you had a lovely time regardless of the weather. Sounds as if you chilled and just went with the flow and as always the staff helped to make the holiday extra special Very Happy

Did you find that there was a larger contingency of foreigners this time?

Once again many thanks
Ann & Forbes

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016
Komandoo October 2017

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
camwil
HI Ann & Forbes
There was certainly fewer Brits on the island and when we arrived there was a large contingency from France for the first few days. Speaking to the staff they are concerned that there will probably be less Brits due to the withdrawal of the tour operators which has been discussed elsewhere.

I was on the dive boat six times and was the only Brit diving those days which would not have happened in the past. It does appear that China, Germany and Russia can offer more for the rooms which will drive market forces.
Jackie and I are going to play a waiting game and see how things settle after the withdrawal of Thomson etc. which is frustrating as we have normally booked up for next year by now!
Tom

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Meeru Dreamer
Hello Tom and Jackie,
Thank you for your trip report. Pleased to know that you had a good holiday.
It was nice to learn that Saeed is still in the Dhoni Bar. The staff certainly add to the special feel of Meeru.
Like yourselves, I love to walk round the island. I look forward to the walks as soon as I book to go back to Meeru.
I hope you have a lovely visit to Sorrento.
Jill

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Thank you Tom, yes, it will be most interesting to find out what will happen after next April and as you say best wait and see!

All the best
Ann & Forbes Very Happy

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016
Komandoo October 2017

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
sams
Thanks for the trip report, glad to hear Meeru was as beautiful as ever Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Thanks for posting your trip report, put us to shame, we have been back 5weeks and most days I think that I should share thoughts of our holiday, but so far havn't put pen to paper. That said, we had a great time in April, but like others have observed, Brits were in a minority, not saying this is a bad thing, but when the majority is Rude (often badly dressed overweight) Russians and Jananese (won't elaborate on that one) it did sometimes put us off a bit. Meeru was great, this was our seventh trip, and we are very lucky to have another booked in October, and again for New Year (I got a couple of great deals!!), I think after that if this is the continuing trend, we may reluctantly look at other islands. We also understand that once our son reaches 12, he won't be able to share our room, so it may be that we are forced to go to another island. Shame, as Meeru offers something (in our opinion) that is very unique to the Maldives, and it would be a shame not to go.
Agree with others too though that the price increases for next year are eye watering, especially when there is four of us!!!!

Deb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote
camwil
HI Just back from Sorrento last night as mentioned above. Although we had a great time with grandsons we were continually comparing with Meeru and guess what it did not! Perhaps we can we can save up and take boys. Well we will wait and see. Cool

Last edited by camwil on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
chrissi
Deb and Mark

We also understand that once our son reaches 12, he won't be able to share our room, so it may be that we are forced to go to another island.

I have taken my 2 girls with me for the last 3 years. They are now 16 and 17, but we have always shared a room. Also, I have shared a room with 2 other adults on a couple of occasions. As long as you book a Beach Villa, this shouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi,

Was it other islands that you went with your daughters?

We have our son, and daughter (she is only 7) and we understood that they can't all share a room with us when he is 12. Just to clarify, have I got this right, or did Meeru allow this with your daughters.

Many THanks for the info

Deb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
camwil
Just booked for next May without the grandsons. Boo! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
camwil
Hi I thought I would do a quick update on our most recent visit to Meeru. Some of the information was in my live updates in the general forum.

We flew with Emirates from Glasgow and all the flights were on time. The transfer to the boat was quick and painless as usual but we stayed up top for fresh air and it did make it a very pleasant journey. After 55 minutes we saw Meeru and we felt like we were home!

We arrived safely and we were met off the boat not by Walter but by Marlene Simon, Guest Services Manager who made us feel very welcome. We were given our key but we had our first iced coffee before we went to our room. The changes in the Dhoni bar with some revised seating was far more comfortable for us old timers. Last year I could not get out of some of the seats although that may have been the wine. Well done Walter for listening.

On the first night we attended the Full Moon Dinner which was FAB and met up with Ronaldo again the Executive Chef who is also a fellow Brit.

We were at the repeater's cocktail party on the Friday and met up with a couple who are also members of this forum. The Management team were Walterless but continued the tradition in the usual friendly manner.
We found the island just as we left it and the staff are what makes the difference.

Our waiter Ahmed was Employee of the Month and I know we are biased but we think he deserved it. I think he also received some additional duties but the honour of wearing the badge and being put forward for the Employee of the Year made him proud. All the waiters around about us were friendly and very good at interacting with the guests and their colleagues. The prize is a twin destination holiday for two to Singapore and Bangkok. Although the latter destination may have to be changed due to recent unrest. The draw is in November.

The weather had been great for the first nine days until a certain couple arived and brought UK weather with them and we had one day where it rained most of the day. Normal service resumed very quickly and we had probably the best weather we have had on our ten visits to the Maldives.
We spent most of the time in the water in both the sea and a few times in the infinity pool.

Meeru have worked hard to get rid of the sea grass and this has improved the view. These guys work very hard and deserve a mention as they do an important role which is not interactive with guests
I was at the football games on both Sundays and the first week was an entertaining 7-7 game.

There was no sticky toffee pudding or marmalade pudding in the first week but we did get some on the Sunday before we came home thanks to a certain poster on here putting in a special request. You know who you are!. There was a great banana spiced pudding instead but Mrs C does not like bananas so I had hers as well.

We went to the Hotrock and the food and the service were excellent. It is great when the waiters remember you even if it was only Mrs C they remember. Only kidding.

I did nine dives whilst I was out there and I enjoyed every one. The dive team were great as usual. Although I was the only Brit o the boat for the first four dives I soon had two great Buddies for the remaining dives who were from Somerset and Holland. We met up every day and night for the remainder of the holiday for drinks with their partners and we enjoyed their company. Both were on their honeymoons and we were on our 38th wedding anniversary so we had quite a bit to talk about other than diving. At the time of writing Mark (dive centre manager) and his partner Flo are on a well deserved holiday in the UK and France.

HJ kept you all up to date with the recent changes but the only thing I would add is it is still a unique experience as an island but it is the people that make the difference. We cannot wait to go back and go back to our Beach Villa!!!!! Laughing

Last edited by camwil on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:11 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
gailmail65
The food and beverage staff, especially the bar staff and bar ladies rotate every 3 months or so. I understand the staff requested to do this, so they gain experience in varying settings.

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
camwil
HI I spoke to three of the young ladies and they said they enjoyed the variety.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
camwil
I have finally got the hang of these photos from a previous visit I will put on a couple of island shots later taken in May

[

Tom & Jackie 14th May 2014 report with some photos 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports