Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Report from our honeymoon from 25th June - 6th July
Report from our honeymoon from 25th June - 6th July 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
colliefish
Ok so I'll try to be thorough but it will be long winded, Sorry. Smile

9 pm flight from Heathrow terminal 4 on Qatar Airways.
Landed in Doha with only a few minutes to transfer.
Walked in the door, asked an airport official where to go, and transfered smoothly, all be it very quickly.
Landed in Male and boy the humidity!!!
Met a nice man in one of the booths who asked us to wait outside in the shaded part of the airport for speedboat. (about 30 mins)
Got on boat given bottle of water and 55 mins later arrived at meeru.
Lovely welcome from the staff and swift processing of our details, then buggy ride to our room where we had a good nose around. Then to the bar for a toasted sandwich as we missed lunch.

Our room was water villa 521 and it was spot on. Loved the idea of life jackets under the dvd player.

Our restaurant was the Maalan and our waiter was Hasan, he is amazing and I can't emphasize how helpful and friendly he was.

We drank in most the bars and they were all excellent. Loved the infinity pool but we mostly chose a sun chair in the shade as it was just too hot to sit in the sun. if You're feeling peckish the fries are awesome and enough for 2 people. My wife loved the milkshakes and I loved the Ice coffees.

Excursions.
We did the sunset cruise which was ok, also the snorkelling to the house reef but the weather was quite rough for this one and we didn't see much.
I did a lot of snorkelling around the island and it was fantastic, I had a 4' reef shark within a couple of foot of me, sting ray everywhere that the maintenance team had been clearing excessive seagrass, octopus, pufferfish and loads of beautiful fish. I can recommend the man made reef from the over the water spa to the water villas, loads of fish and very clear water.

Had a meal in the asian wok, very nice and very filling.

It took some getting use to having sand on the floors but was really quite nice, I went bare foot for a couple of days but reverted to flip flops as my feet started to get a bit sore.

There were lizards, fruit bats and loads of crabs, all of which were no trouble and we spent quite a few evenings on our decking reading and watching the hermits going about their business. There was also some rats, we saw about 4 in 10 days, but they're not an issue really.

We were A.I and found the minibar invaluable and I think A.I. was the better option as drinks are quite expensive and with the heat it pays to drink. We had a bottle of water with our meals just to make sure we were taking in the good stuff.

Coming back was univentful, a 4 and half hour wait at Doha but it went quickly with us having something to eat and a mosey around the duty free.

I cant think of anything to add, but if you have any question then fire away.
Cheers
Mark.

Last edited by colliefish on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Great report, cheers Very Happy .

We were in 521 last year, life jackets must be a new thing!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
karyn
Thanks for your report - it whisks me back to Meeru each and every time a new report is posted Very Happy

I don't recall seeing any life jackets in our WV in February - a good idea though.

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Ash & Jess
We were in 517 and no life jackets so must be a new thing. Perhaps it has something to do with the recent death of a holiday maker? Good idea though! I wanted to go snorkelling a few times in the deeper water but the currents really frightened me so I opted out and instead stayed to the shallow bits straight in front of our room. There was a nice bit of coral just to the right of our room as you came out and I would walk out there when I got too hot and dip my face in and have a look what was going on. There was always lots to see just at that tiny little rock and the little black fish with a silver splodge on them would come up and nip your knees to see what you tasted like!

Hasan was our waiter too. His english was exceptional! He supported the same team as my husband and enjoyed a bit of banter. He always had good team news for us on his mobile phone which was a godsend to my husband!

Loved reading your report as we too had our honeymoon there back in January of this year.

Jess xx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
gailmail65
Hassan is lovely. He is a supervisor and even though both visits he was not our direct waiter we got to know him He supports a different team to us, and yes you have good banter with him!! One of the best in the Maalan restaurant.

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
Colin & Jenny
Really enjoyed reading your report Very Happy

Currently in the planning for our next Maldives trip Smile

Embudu July 2015
Vilamendhoo July 2016
Report from our honeymoon from 25th June - 6th July 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports