Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Special Report: Garden Rooms - The 800s (includes photos)
Special Report: Garden Rooms - The 800s (includes photos) 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
The 800s room range is less heard of on the forum than other rooms. This is possibly to do with the fact that there are just twenty of them. In holiday brochures and on Meeru these are called Garden Rooms.

They have been around a long time and have historically been attractive to the likes of divers (who want to reserve their dollars for their pricey hobby) or to anyone who wanted to berth themselves at Meeru as cheaply as possible.

The 800s are centrally located (see this MAP to check out where they are, look for the text 801-820).

The rooms are not right next to the beach, but are nonetheless a few strides from all the facilities at the centre of the island including the Farivalhu restaurant where residents of the 800s take their regular meals.

With the kind assistance of Areef Ahmed, Director of Operations at Meeru, I was able to get a look see at the recently fully refurbished 800s room range. Specifically room 816.

Please note that I have provided links to larger versions of each photo under each image. Original size is the largest and you should avoid clicking on that link if you are on a slow connection as original size versions are very large indeed.

Here's a view of the front.

For larger CLICK HERE
For original size CLICK HERE

Having already had a tour of one of these rooms by some friends staying in one as guests some years ago I was very intrigued to see what the result of the major makeover would look like.

The first thing that hit me was just how light these rooms now are.

For larger CLICK HERE

Slightly different angle. Here you can see the sofa / extra bed area a bit more clearly.

For larger CLICK HERE

Most usefully, there are spot reading lamps above the bed. I also noticed the room had a brand new (and larger) fridge than what had gone before.

Incidentally the TV shown in the upper picture at the time I took this was due to be replaced by a flat screen item. Flat screen TVs will be a standard across all the rooms very soon.

A criticism of the original 800 layout I'd heard sometimes was that although the rooms were nice and large there were fewer places to stow things in an 800.

Happy to report there's plenty of storage space now.

Note the new robes in the hangar space. No need to bring dressing gowns in your luggage. The robes are very neat and will become available for purchase in the Gift shop when stocks can be arranged. I'm told there's only limited supply for actual sale currently so people on the island may or may not be seeing them in the Gift Shop right now.

The bathrooms are now fully redone and appointed with top notch fixtures too Very Happy.

For larger CLICK HERE

For some the fact that the bathroom is enclosed will be a particularly big draw.

The open air bathroom concept is attractive to many people but there are many folk who prefer their bathrooms on the inside Laughing.

Here are a couple of shots of the main room from another angle.

For larger CLICK HERE

For larger CLICK HERE

The revised 800s are a major advance over what went before. But yet they retain their original advantages too:

- They are large
- They are family friendly (children cannot stay in other than Beach Villas or 800s)
- They are centrally located.

And, of course, they also remain the most economical way of staying at Meeru. If you thought you'd never consider these Garden Rooms on account they were too basic for your taste then maybe now is the time to reconsider them Wink.

HJ

[Assorted minor edits made to correct some spelling mistakes]

Last edited by Humble Jim on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:30 am; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Meeru Dreamer
Thank you HJ, for the details, of the refurbished 800s, and photos. They look really nice, and comfortable.

I hope you are feeling a lot better. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Chill
Thanks for the update HJ, yes very light inside unlike the JWVs I am going to take a reading light from home as its so dark in there!

You Dont Need Eyes To See You Need Vision!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
rickc
What a difference !! Some makeover ! Obviously nothing changes the fact that all of these rooms are joined together in blocks, and there are no views to speak of, but they are a hell of an improvement on what went before and are a good option for some folk. Thanks James.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Bobby
these look like a definite option now if they are a cheaper option to returning. Whilst its lovely having you own veranda over the sea, or garden area at the back for privacy, these look very inviting and light and airy. We never spend too much time in our accommodation anyway other than sleeping and changing and I could certainly stay in one of these if it means returning again Very Happy

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
I've heard it often that people would be happy to sleep on the beach if they could get to Meeru Smile .

Sadly, that's not a practical option (and not actually allowed!) but if you're on a particular budget then these rooms are maybe the way in for you to this amazing island...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Bathroom does it justice....compared to the old one

cheers

steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
Colin & Jenny
Thanks for posting this.

It was only on my last trip did I notce these rooms. At first I thought they were for staff then it twigged they were the garden rooms. Were these rooms not unused at one point not being desirable?

That said if it was the only way to afford Meeru... Speaking from someone who has stayed in the original standard rooms years ago and spent $$$ on diving Embarassed

Cheers

Embudu July 2015
Vilamendhoo July 2016

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
Steve from Durham
Site Admin
Made this thread into a sticky for now, so it stays in same position and does not fall off page

steve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Belle
So pleased to hear about the Garden rooms - we've been to Meeru 5 times, but not for the last 4 years because it got too expensive, children needed help with property etc, we just couldn't afford it. I'd always looked fondly on these rooms as they are "in the woods" so to speak, I think we will try to book one now! Hopefully headed to Meeru end of April and looking forward to it!
Special Report: Garden Rooms - The 800s (includes photos) 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion