Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » live from Meeru Island Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
live from Meeru Island 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
lawrence&anne
Hello we thought we would give our first post on Meeru Island.
We arrived a cuple of days ago. The flight from the uk was great so was male airport and we were soon on the boat to the island.
We are accommodated in the jacuzzi water villa's. The rooms are fantastic.
The food is amazing.
Unfortunately there seems to be a problem on the islsnd wirh some guests or shoukd I say a lot of guests.
The majority of the island guests seem to be Chinese and its almost like they have taken over the whole island.
We came out of the restaurant next to the reception and it looks like there is a bar judt across near the toilets (we didn't go in) they had some Asian kind of music blasting out from the bar karaoke style and the Chinese women were screaming not singing at the tops if their voices.
belive me the sound was harendous!
We decided to snorkel from our room today snd we have chinese next door and all the women do is scresm at everything the see.
not great when your trying to read your book.
we returned to our room tonight arounf 11.00 pm and just got into bed when the females set off again screaming! ?
then at around 11.45 pm there was a loud banging and shouting at our vilka door. My wife was wokrn up snd shocked at the banging snd thought there may be sn emergency.
I jumped up snd answered the doir to see a drunk Chinese man staggering aeay.
I calked to him to adk if he hsd banged on the foor but he just ignored me.
he was then joined by snother Chinese msn and I asked agsin if they had banged on the door. They sgsin ignored me and were then let in next door to more loud screams from the Chinese womem.
before this happened tonight we had spoken to other guests on the islsnd and a lot of the conversations were about the Chinese even sone of the staff commented on them!.
Not a great start to our holiday and we will be speaking to our rep in the morning.
More updates soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Oh dear,

So sorry to read about your experience, that is terrible!

I hope it all calms down for you and you can enjoy Meeru for what it really is.

Deb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
sue&nige
We found that when we were there in Jan that the Chinese didn't use the bars at night except Mondays when they did a Karaoke night in the Kakuna bar which they did attend.
They usually only stay about 4 days, yes we were outnumbered by them but didn't have any screamers, hope it gets sorted.
not hapoy! 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
lawrence&anne
After our original post last night we encountered more screaming in the early hours of the morning.
Talking to other guests this morning they also witnessed the Chinese screaming and also said about 40 more arrived yesterday. While posting this now we have it again!!! Screaming and shouting!!!
Not had time to chat to the rep yet.
this is NOT what I was expecting!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi,

Just a thought, we were there in October and for New Year, and although there were a large number, there did not seem to be any where we were staying. We always stay in a Beach Bungalow (201-206) as we are there with our 2children. It felt at the time that it was mostly Europeans in these rooms with a few Russians thrown in...the Chinese seem to go for the more expensive rooms. I know it wouldn't be much consolation to 'downgrade' as it were, but we love these rooms (have been 9times) and if it gives you the peace that lets face you and everyone else who goes to Meeru deserves, then it may be an option for you.

Hope you get something sorted soon.

Deb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
rickc
Hi Lawrenceandanne. Thanks for reporting. This is beginning to become a really worrying trend and it is to be hoped that it is dealt with sooner rather than later though commercial/financial considerations carry a lot of weight.

I am beginning to wonder if Meeru is changing for the worse, long term, heaven forbid ! That special feeling of almost isolation in a place of real beauty is at risk with these recent changes in customer base. There have been plenty of references of late on here to the associated behaviour and effect on the island life etc. And there is evidence of other recent changes mentioned on the forum - LARGE group bookings resulting in other guests being shunted around in the restaurant to accommodate them. Another factor affecting that feeling of exclusivity when staying on Meeru.

I really hope it settles down for you while you are there. The impact of these visitors appears to vary from time to time given that they change every few days, so here's hoping for you....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
colfen
Does anyone know what part of the island the Chinese tend to stick to/what rooms they stay in?

I was really looking forward to going, but now im starting to worry....and trying to get my boyfriend to agree to come here in the first place was hard enough, if its ruined by all the goings on of the Chinese I will never hear the end of it Crying or Very sad
Not Good 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
lawrence&anne
Its now 5,50pm Maldives time and the noise from the Chinese can onky be described by the word horrendous!.
we have spoken to a staff member today and they said that about 80 Chinese guests arrived about 11,30 last night.
My wife and I had decided to use room service and eat outside I think we will give that a miss.
looking at the villa next to us the problem is there is about 10 chinese people all at the same villa screaming and shouting putting snorkeling gear on.
our holiday is fast becoming a joke!.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
rickc
I think you are booked for a jacuzzi beach villa ? When we were on Meeru the Chinese were largely confined to the jacuzzi water villas.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
You need to complain and get yourselves moved. They will know where to move you to where your neighbours are of another nationality i'm sure...don't suffer...complain!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
lawrence&anne
colfen wrote:
Does anyone know what part of the island the Chinese tend to stick to/what rooms they stay in?

I was really looking forward to going, but now im starting to worry....and trying to get my boyfriend to agree to come here in the first place was hard enough, if its ruined by all the goings on of the Chinese I will never hear the end of it Crying or Very sad

we are in the jacuzzi Water villa's.
If we had known the whole island would be tsken over by Chinese guests we would never of booked.
One english couple left the restaurant at lunch time because one chinese man in a group at the table decided to make a phone call. More very loud shouting.
They just looked at us on the way out of the restaurant and shook their heads and said he dosent need a phone they can hear him back home.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Lee Frankham
Hi

It was my understanding they the Chinese were mainly in the 300 JWV is that what you are in?

If so request to be moved to a 700 and you will also change Restaurant.

Lee

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Sounds like Meeru should be changing their 'Adult Only' end of the Island to 'Chinses Only'....the bar at the North End could become a Karoke Bar 24/7!! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Tracey gant
We stayed in the wjv 300's and an awful lot of Chinese were there too. So rude!!! Spitting into the sea and also just outside of restaurant whilst everyone was eating! John has written this on trip adviser. He isn't the only one. Its a shame. It was my first time to meeru and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Everyone was right saying it was paradise. Let's hope this isn't the start of meeru to come

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
lawrence&anne
Lee Frankham wrote:
Hi

It was my understanding they the Chinese were mainly in the 300 JWV is that what you are in?

If so request to be moved to a 700 and you will also change Restaurant.

Lee

hello we are in the 300's and I think 95% of the 300's have Chinese in them.
live from Meeru Island 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports