Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » live from Meeru Island Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
AlanB
Lee Frankham wrote:
All I can say is lets hope for an improvement. or maybe a trip to Villa is on the cards.

Hi Lee we are definately booking Vilamendoo for Feb/mar 2015 unless of course we hear that the same issues are happening there as well. We just need to find the right price and flights etc.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Jen
We are going to Vilamendhoo 5th May so I hope the problems are not happening there too. I will do a report when we get back or even whilst there to let you all know. I have not seen any mention of problems of this nature on Trip Advisor. We have purposely chosen this island on the recommendation of other Meeruites on this site. Thank you those that have reported back.

It is such a shame that this is happening on Meeru, the atmosphere was always brilliant and it is a gorgeous place to holiday. You certainly should not have your expensive, sometimes once in a lifetime (we all say that) holiday ruined by others. Meeru will always be our first love of the Maldives and does take some beating. I can imagine the staff are far from happy about the situation.

The only other island we have been too was Kuramathi Nov/Dec 2012 and although there were a few Chinese they didn't seem to be causing problems but there were always groups of people.

I hope you are getting sorted out by the Management, who I am sure will go out of there way to help. The islands excellent reputation is at stake if there are too many reports of this nature.

Hope you are having a much, much better day Lawrence and Anne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
Chill
We had already decided to try Vila next year but I must say it disturbs me reading this negative feedback for the Island due to the Chinese visitors. In January at the repeaters evening there were 20-30 of us there wes speaking to one of the managers who said they were restricting the Chinese to 30%!
The resort chain have invested a lot in tapping into this market and I can see it putting off many other visitors so the percentage may have to go up.
Such a shame but we have had three wonderful holidays there and have so many happy memories and thousands of pictures of fish!!

[/url]

You Dont Need Eyes To See You Need Vision!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
We spoke to the Operations Manager at the repeaters party when we were there in February and he said the travel group who organise the Chinese tours have paid in advance and that they bring between 10% and 15% of Chinese visitors which when you work it out is between 60 and 90 arrivals every 4 /5 days. I don't think the tours are restricted to Meeru and would be interested to find out if Vila has the same numbers as we have heard comments on this forum about the Chinese behaviour there too, and wonder if the other islands in the group are affected.

So far Meeru are refusing to answer my emails on this subject and I am worried as I have recommended people to Meeru and they will be arriving in April Shocked

I do hope you get sorted Lawrence & Anne and that you get to enjoy the rest of your holiday, please let us know!
Ann Sad

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
sue&nige
From talking to people on the flt home at the end of Feb Kuredu had the same problem, one of the staff was saying they pay $1000 per night for the water villas full board but don't use the bars, it sounds like they have all been congregating in one room for entertainment!
They did wind me up sometimes in the restaurant on their phones all the time and while waiting for pasta, eggs etc but then we started to sit on the decking, it was the amount of little ones that i was surprised at.
They spent most of their time taking pics and walking round with umbrellas up to keep the sun off themselves, we did see one girl very badly burnt on both feet, she could hardly walk, she was covered from head to mid calf but had obviously not creamed her feet.
It hasn't put us off going back next march but i would complain immediately next time we go if the need arises.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
gailmail65
This is worrying as we just booked for March 15.

We both have birthdays, so chose March because of that.

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Hi gailmail
We're on the island now and it's as fab as always. There are more Chinese but most of the ones we have seen are normal honeymooning couples. We did see one group of 8 women who were quite loud at the infinity pool yesterday. They stayed less than an hour. Tell me how often groups of women are loud on a day out together at home....... We also saw a group of Brits who had a few too many beers being loud...something we've seen many times before.
Think there are more Chinese visitors generally to all islands judging by the literature in the airport but would I come to Meeru again? Definitely yes. My holiday is as brilliant as all previous visits.

Jo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
gailmail65
Most of these comments were from Feb/March visits. We go in March.

Hopefully it is random groups. A few kind words to Meeru nearer to our visit may be wise.

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
rickc
....haven't heard any more from Lawrence and Anne. Wonder what happened???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
gailmail65
Hoping this is not the kind of reputation Crown & Champa want.

It must worry their staff at Meeru and they seem to want to keep their staff happy.

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
We were wondering the very same thing Rick, Forbes thinks they were silenced otherwise why wouldn't they have come back to let everyone know all was ok!

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Silenced? surely not!!!

Hopefully their holiday calmed down and they were able to enjoy the remainder of it...after all Jo and Ian have posted from meeru and are not having any of the problems previously reported.

We go in 4weeks, we were there at New year with no real problems, so it will be interesting to see what May brings.

I'm more worried that it might rain to be honest!!

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
It seems to rattle a few feathers from a returning guest on TA.
Enjoyed the holiday overall it seems, but maybe thought it was worth a mention...

Trip Advisor Review

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Yes, I read that review too, and was a bit shocked...as you say it was a well balanced review which they seemed to enjoy overall. I'm sure not all these guests behave in the same way, and it's just really bad luck if you are there at the same time and in close proximity!! Having said that I think I wouldn't take too kindly to seeing anyone bashing a shark!!! Sad

As said, we were for New Year, and although there were plenty of Chinese guests, I didn't see anyone causing any of the problems being reported back, so I can only hope that that will be the case when we return next month.

Deb

[/url]
live from Meeru Island 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports