Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Another wonderful 2 weeks Feb/March 2014
Another wonderful 2 weeks Feb/March 2014 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
LucyW
Ok, so this is the first one of these I have done!

As many of you will know both myself and hubby are regular visitors to Meeru. Its our annual jolly every February/March and has been since 2002 so yes, we like it!

The flight as always was particularly uneventful. We were welcomed by a very bubbly FC rep, Lesley. A little wait for the boat but before long we were on our way. 50 minutes later and the glimpse of the Asian Wok comes into view. You know you are getting close.

As tradition has it, 'repeaters' are usually welcomed by a coconut cocktail as opposed to the usual fruit ones. Meeru knew we were coming back so I had expected to see the usual name sign. After being a bit miffed that there wasn't that usual welcome, Lesley told us that out of the 26 on the boat, 18 were repeaters so no coconut today.

We had said on the boat over that we weren't too worried about being processed quickly through check in as we were not planning on having lunch (we know it can be a rush to make lunch on the first day) but we quickly had keys to our home for the next 2 weeks. Our garden room - 820.

Quick message to the luggage boys to drop off our cases and we then did a quick hop over to the Dhoni bar. Welcomed with big smiles by the staff who had recognised us (well Dave at least). Took up position for a few glasses of wine and a pizza.

Eventually wandered back to the room to unpack. Whatever may be said about the 800's, the island have done a wonderful job of brining them up to a better standard. We have always booked them but have to say for those who have reservations about staying in them - don't. They are clean, spacious and quite frankly I'd sleep on the beach if it meant I got to return to Meeru.

A couple of days later was our wedding anniversary so a trip to the spa was in order for a 'his and hers' massage. Bliss!!!!

Most days were spent wandering around, enjoying the comfy sunbeds and reading lots. Yep - we don't do much on holiday. Met a few repeat couples and also bumped into a couple we met on Dhonvelli a few years before. Dave hopped on the airport transfer boat one morning to go and take photographs of planes at the airport (yep - geek) so I had a morning of peace. This is the only place I would happily spend a few hours on my own wandering around. It really is so safe.

The excitement increased when, on the second Thursday we welcomed some friends to the island who had just spent a couple of weeks in Sri Lanka on their honeymoon. Followed a couple of days by Debbie and Mark who are also Meeru regulars. Safe to say our last few days passed in a blur and before we knew it it was time to pack up and return home.

Monday morning arrived and it was time to leave. We were waved off by some lovely people who we met during our two weeks and yep, you got it, I cried!!!! I always do when we leave.

A lot has been said about the different nationalities who now populate Meeru. There are a lot less British and much more French and now Chinese. The Chinese do keep themselves to themselves and also have very little English to speak of. This has caused a lot of difficulty for the staff who are of course trying to learn, but not at the speed where they can communicate effectively. There was once bar menu in Chinese which was often a 'point out what you want' exercise. One good thing though, because of the Chinese there is now more choice of Chinese food at mealtimes which is beautiful.

There is nothing about Meeru that we would change. I may be slightly biased but rest assured I would tell you all if there was something I didn't like.

Weather was a bit overcast for a couple of days and one day in particular was a total wash out - literally!!

We are returning in February 2015, flying Qatar via Doha. The countdown has begun already Laughing

Lu x

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Meeru Dreamer
Hello Lucy W,
It was nice to read your trip report. Thanks.
Pleased to read that you had such a lovely holiday,
Jill Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Casey Jones
Thanks for your feedback Lucy..still enjoy reading about people's time on Meeru.
18 coconuts was not a big ask was it? Laughing I wonder if they had 18 t-shirts for the repeaters Laughing

Casey Cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Hi Lucy
Loved your report. I'm half way through writing ours. Funny that you mentioned that the staff always remember the men. I've noticed this too. It's very subtle and Ian hasn't noticed it - just a woman's sixth sense....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Ann & Forbes
Sounds as if you had a fantastic holiday Lucy. Everyone has a very different experience on Meeru and it is always good to get feedback.
Thank you for sharing, great report!
Ann Very Happy

[/url]
Meeru February 2011, 2012 & 2014,
Komandoo October 2016 & 2017
Komandoo December 2018

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
rickc
Belated thanks for your report (been away for a couple of weeks). Nice of others to take the time to give the rest of us something to read and bring back familiar images and experiences. Thanks for taking the trouble.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
sams
Thanks for the trip report, our 1st Maldives holidays was on Meeru back in 2002 also Cool Glad you love it as much as ever, we hope to return some day.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Humble Jim
Great report, thanks so much for posting such an informative one Very Happy.

LucyW wrote:
...because of the Chinese there is now more choice of Chinese food at mealtimes which is beautiful.

So agree with this!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Sunny_Ray
Hi Lucy, might see you there in Feb, my wife Rosemary and I are retuning the first two weeks in Feb and as you said the count down started the moment I paid the deposit. We were last there in March 2008 and when trying to book found it difficult to find a travel agent who did the Maldives, this being our 4th time to the islands and the last as I have already said in 2008. We booked with first choice last time but they font do it now so I hot a great deal with an on line company called travel bag. Had good reports about them from several people I know who have used them they came back giving me several options and great prices can't believe they have stopped the sea plane arrival only option now speed boat. Also looking on this site sounds like some changes have been made since our last visit, they had just built the football pitch when we were there last but missed the first game as that was the day after we left.
I'm sure my wife will enjoy our stay as much as we did in 2008. I will try and contact the island and see if we can have the same water villa as last time if it's available, hope they have kept them upto scratch. As it will be 7 years since we stayed. May see you there.
Another wonderful 2 weeks Feb/March 2014 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports