Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling » SNORKELLING AND SCUBA BEGINNERS!
SNORKELLING AND SCUBA BEGINNERS! 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
We didn't do much of either first time we went as hubby had not long had knee surgery and didn't want to be "out of his depth". Wanted to maybe try it this time. As we have never done this before, can someone explain the basic procedure, I think I read somewhere its worth doing a course in the UK before you go to "save time" when you are there, does anyone know whats involved and the cost etc. Not entirely sure I want to be in the big big ocean so advice for first timers would be really helpful, ie. what can we do on Meeru. Or should I just stick to paddling and looking like an idiot trying to walk backwards (as its the only way) in the lagoon in my flippers lol (that was a memory I thought I had deeply surpressed lol

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
sunny Ray
Hi Shanksy
If you are just going to snorkel then you can learn very quickly on the house reef on Meeru, but if it's scuba diving you want to do then you can do your theory in a UK dive school and then finish your open water on Meeru. That's what I did the first time I visited the Maldives in 2003 on the island Vilamendhoo and got hooked on scuba diving from there. For snorkeling I believe they take you out by boat to the house reef each day if you want you go. Cool Cool Cool Cool

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
CornishJon
Hi there,

I'm going in a few weeks and never done scuba diving before, i was thinking of doing a 'taster' when i'm there such as 'discover scuba' in the price list below:

meeru.c o m/downloads/OceanProMeeruPriceListEffective110108.pdf

Does anyone have any experience of the taster scuba dives and what i could expect?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i would also welcome any info like shanksy on beginner diving and what's what really.

Thanks
Jon[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
CornishJon wrote:
Hi there,

I'm going in a few weeks and never done scuba diving before, i was thinking of doing a 'taster' when i'm there such as 'discover scuba' in the price list below:

meeru.c o m/downloads/OceanProMeeruPriceListEffective110108.pdf

Does anyone have any experience of the taster scuba dives and what i could expect?

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i would also welcome any info like shanksy on beginner diving and what's what really.

Thanks
Jon[/url]

Hijack away I've never done scuba diving either and am interested (I think) in giving it a go. I'd heard somewhere that you can do some basic training in the UK. Looking forward to reading your trip report when you get back Smile

Snorkelling course 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
I think I will stick to the basics maybe try the deep sea diving next time!!! Did I read that there are snorkelling lessons available at Meeru?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
LucyW
I did a 'try dive' many years ago now so don't know if they still offer it. In the morning you are just out just off the beach learning how to clear your mask, taking out your reg and just getting used to the tank etc, in the afternoon you go out on a proper dive. To be fair I didn't go on the dive in the afternoon as I really didn't feel confident enough about it.
Lu
SNORKELLING AND SCUBA BEGINNERS! 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Diving and Snorkelling