Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Our first time
Our first time 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Ste&D
We have just returned from Meeru following our first ever time in the Maldives. I thought I would post a trip report based on our experiences as a 'newcomer' to the island. We first booked our trip in September 2013 and have followed the forums on this website with great interest right up until our departure.

We arrived at Male just after 9 am on Tues 2nd Dec having flown overnight from Manchester via Dubai. Our transition through the airport was quick and painless and we waited just 45 minutes for our boat transfer to Meeru. The journey to the island took just over an hour, we stopped for around 10 minutes close by to the island to observe some dolphins. An amazing sight and a great welcome to the Maldives!

We were allocated room 321 and were happy to have received a JWV as booked because we were a little concerned with reports regarding overbooking. We absolutely loved everything about our room from the steps down into the sea to the outdoor bathroom and hot tub. Watching the rays, sharks and various fish underneath our villa day and night passed many an hour.

Not being on the adult only side wasn't a big problem, in fact we found on our several visits up to the adult only bar that it lacked any kind of atmosphere. Perhaps the time of year? We loved the Pavilion Bar and sat here most nights before retiring to bed. We also loved the Dhoni bar for the sunsets. Staff in both bars were amazing and really made our stay. In particular, Saeed in the Dhoni and Nella in the Pavillion deserve a special mention. The staff across the whole island were brilliant with the exception of the Hot Rocks staff at the adult only pool who we found persistently grumpy and let the rest of the team down.

We were allocated the Farivalhu restaurant which we loved and our waiter Didi was extremely efficient and friendly. We had the same table every time which was fine for us as we had a nice table by the water fountain in the centre. There were a few kids in there but all were well behaved and the atmosphere inside the restaurant was very chilled out. The food was exceptional throughout our holiday and we've gained about half a stone! We were lucky enough to have the full moon dinner during our stay and this was a really nice evening, well worth paying the extra for.

We were very lucky and had excellent weather during our week and only had 1 day of cloud/rain. The rest of the time was sunny and very hot. Fortunately I read Humble Jim's guide to Maldives weather before we left which was a godsend as the internet weather forecasts had us worried!

We did the house reef trip which was good although the snorkelling was very good around the island anyway. We were a little concerned about the Trigger Fish but only saw 1 or 2 and kept well away! The sunset cruise was superb and we saw hundreds of Dolphins. We also did a 1 hour nature walk around the island which was very informative. We signed up for the seaplane photo flight but unfortunately there weren't enough people booked for this to go ahead. This was our only disappointment. We also visited the over water spa.

We found there was a nice mix of British, Germans, Russians, French and Chinese on the island with no nationality really dominating. We did find the Chinese a little odd with their strange but mostly harmless habits. Best just to leave them to it!

Overall, we had an amazing week and really didn't want to leave! I wish we had stayed longer but we decided to see Dubai for 3 nights on the way home instead. Everything about the island is simply brilliant. The laid back no news no shoes concept, the efficient and friendly staff, the amazing food, fantastic rooms and breathtaking scenery. I understand why people go back and I hope that one day we'll also be able to. If I was being picky, I'd say that I'd like to see more food on offer for AIP guests during the day. Often, we didn't want to go to lunch as it was too hot for a heavy meal but Afternoon Tea or cakes was the only other option. A burger or panini or 2 included in the package would be great. We also weren't too keen walking through the staff areas to get across the island. We found the staff quarters a little scruffy looking so should either be updated or screened from view. These are minor points though and Meeru gets 11/10 from us!

Last edited by Ste&D on Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
sams
Really nice to read a trip report from a newbie Smile Glad you had a lovely time on beautiful Meeru, thanks for taking the time to let us know what you thought sunny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Thank you for the trip report. Really pleased you enjoyed your visit Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
sunny Ray
Thanks for the trip report, sounds like you had a great time. I know what you mean about looking at the weather before you leave for your holiday, this will be my forth time but never learn I do the same and think ho no the weather not good, but get out there and it's always different mainly for the better. Hope you get your wish and return sometime as a lot of us do. Cool Cool Cool

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
sunny Ray
Can anyone remind me if we have to pay for our Visa when we arrive at Male Airport and is so how much it is. I know we get a 30 holiday visa stamped in our passport but forgotten if we had to pay. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wink

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
gailmail65
sunny Ray

I've never had to, so far. But we booked packages with Thomson/hsyes & Jarvis previously.

Doesn't hurt to have enough dollars just in case I guess.

[/url]

[/url]
Our first time 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports