Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Another great trip...
Another great trip... 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi,
Thought that I had better get round to a trip report as I enjoy reading everyone else's so much. The trouble is what to write...this was our 13th trip to meeru so it's hard sitting here thinking of something different to write!!

So, we flew Qatar again, we flew with them at New Year, and the food had in our opinion gone down hill, also the service although very pleasant was very disorganised...being at the back of the plane, it was hours before we got a drink or dinner! The plus side though was that the flight to male was almost empty...rows and rows of empty seats to stretch out in, my husband and son did just that, but my daughter wanted to sit next to me...not much sleep and stretching for me!!!!

On arrival, and though customs, we were told that we had to wait at least an hour and a half for our boat as we were waiting for the incoming Etiad flight which was delayed. I was a bit cross as we just wanted to get there and get on with our holiday, time however passed really quickly, (we really shouldn't have had chips from burger king, but they were there!!!!) On the transfer, there was only about 12 of us, so could really see why they wanted to wait for the other flight...it would not have been economical or 'green' to have two boats...I wasn't cross anymore!!!

On arrival, we were greeted warmly by Marlene, given our keys to 205, our preferred area and off we went!!! For the first couple of days everywhere we went we were welcomed back, Meeru really does have a knack of making you feel welcome. On arrival Walter even came and had a chat...unusual, he has never spoken to us in 13trips!!!

Our days passed like most other holidays, struggling to get up for breakfast, but going because the lure of omelettes are too tempting, couple of hours lazing on the beach while the kids built sandcastles and played in the sea, lunch, pool, sunset cocktails, dinner, more drinks before finally getting back to the room for a nightcap (usually ovaltine) on the balcony while the kids got to sleep, then falling thankfully into bed before doing it all again the next day!!!

Weather was mixed, probably better than we expected for the end of may, only one afternoon was a write off, with lots of sun normally in the morning, a few short showers, then it did tend to cloud over in the afternoon, but it was that warm sort of cloud which burns you to bits if you're not careful, and makes you nod off nicely on your sunbed...well we would have if we hadn't had the kids with us!!!!

The seafood buffet was on while we were there, there was some rain around that evening so it was moved to the Wok...this in our opinion was a good move. The band were very very good, and the acoustics in the wok made it sound even better! We have suggested that they have music in the wok more often. Food was really special, and if you are a seafood fan, you are going to love it. I felt however that just a side dish of rice or noodles would have made it even better.

There were a few chnges to the entertainment. There is now an old school disco on a Wednesday...now we do love to kick our heels in meeru (we don't get out much at home) but we really didn't like this disco. By old school I thought we would be having a bit of Oasis and 90's indie...Spandau Ballet at a push....Sister Sledge and Chris De Burgh in our opinion should NEVER be allowed out of the box again!!!! Our son (12) refused to even sit outside the Kakuni and took himself off back to the room!!! There is a music night now on a Sunday at the Dhoni bar, can't comment on this as we were at the seafood buffet. The live music on the Tuesday night however was quite poor. Unusual as we normally love it!! It was just rreally depressing tunes. We did wonder if it was because there were many honeymooners and 'younger folk' there......not sure many of them would have even noticed what was playing as we noticed on all the music nights that the vast majority of people were just sitting there, not talking to each other and tapping on their phones!!! We thought it was really sad, or maybe we are just showing our age I don't know.
Another new thing for us, Guest Services contacted us and arranged to have a chat...they are now profiling repeaters, why they come back, what they like don't like etc etc. It seems now, that they are putting a lot of effort into keeping repeat guests. Nice touch though.
So after my epic report, we have returned home three weeks ago, only to have a very unexpected offer from the mother-in-law of a weeks babysitting for our anniversary. Well, we sat up most of last weekend going though most of the world, and discounting it for one reason or another, the upshot is that just the two of us are going back to Meeru next Sunday for a week!!! Not entirely sure if we are going to eat until Christmas, but this is our first time away on our own for four years so who cares about food!!!!
We have contacted Meeru and asked to be at the North end of the Island we have never been in the malaan or infinity pool as our last nine trips have been with the children, so we are looking forward to the meeru we love, but with a few new experiences!! Here's hoping for some good weather!
Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Hi Deb
Really, really enjoyed reading this. Rang sooooo many bells. The egg man does do a good service and although I always say I'll keep it light at breakfast, I'm drawn to the egg man. Egg stations in cheaper Euro restaurants are light years away. A beach dinner in the Wok with live music sounds like a dream come true. Just thinking about it sends a shiver down my spine.

We too were profiled. Compared with an angry parent at work or a ofsted inspection I almost didn't realise it was an interview. The member of staff we met with I consider to be a friend so it was a drink and catch up with a friend. We did ask for the local food to be available nightly which a previous post suggests is now happening too.

Funny what you said about Walter. This year was the first time he met us on arrival. We have been soo many times. We don't make a fuss though....
maybe it's that. We normally see him at other times but you do read from others about Wallter meeting them.

Enjoy your quiet time coming up. Why don't you do something crazy like renew your vows..... It was the best time ever for us on Meeru and a normal day on Meeru is out of this world.
Jo x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi Jo,

Do you know we have thought any times about renewing our vows on Meeru. I've read everyone's reports on their experience including yours and am quite keen. We really wanted to get married in the Maldives first time round but nothing was allowed then so we got married in Barbados, which was nice, but it's not the Maldives...not even close! We would like the children to be there though as they weren't born at our wedding!!!! I have my eye on a lovely eternity ring at the jewelry shop in Meeru, I tried it on last time we were there, and would love to have it when we renewed our vows, I'm afraid though funds won't stretch to this holiday, and a ring, but maybe next year....

Gosh, I shouldn't be sitting here on the forum, I have so much to do before Sunday, packing, housework, cooking meals for when we are away so that my mother-in-law doesn't have too much to do. On top of that my son is away on a school trip for three days next week and I have to pack for him too!!! Think I best get on with it!!!

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
tiddles
Lovely to read your report Deb. Enjoy your trip back on your own and still hope to catch up for a "dangle" in October.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
camwil
Hi enjoyed the report and was pleased to hear that you had escaped on your own. The island may take a new look. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi Tiddles, yes see you for a dangle....

Hey Camwill, you know it feels really strange packing for two, we don't know where we are staying on the island, we only know that we will be eating in the Malaan...it's like a brand new holiday!! Anyone eaten in both? we love the Farivalu (can't spell it) is the Malaan very much the same without children?

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Kath
Wow Deb!
I just saw 'someone' on the Meeru FB page saying they were returning this weekend, but thought to myself "surely not already' !! Brilliant news and I've got to say I'm a teeny bit jealous Laughing
We had a brilliant time and I'll have to do a trip report.
Btw, the weather turned beautifully after about the 5th June. Most days the sun was splitting the skies.
Enjoy!
Kath

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Hi Deb
We've eaten in both restaurants- the maalan didn't exist when we started our visits. Food is the same of course. It's very quiet as there are no children. You don't have an allocated table - just an area and waiter. The maalan feels smaller as its sectioned off. Less likely to lose where you're sitting although I see people clearly desperately trying to find their table. As you've said, the Chinese guests seem to be no bother these days - there's a distinct lack of them on the Maalan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi Jo,
Thanks for the info. I did think that there would be less of these quests in th Malaan as most seem to stay in the 300's. I love the main restaurant, and never get lost as we always seem to get put in the same area- on a few occasions the same table..(can get a bit dej-a-vu) I know that's not spelt right by the way!!!
We'll just have to see, if we don't like the Malaan, we will have no worries at all about moving!! Wherever we are on the island, I don't mind a walk!

Kath, I' really pleased that the weather was good for you, I've been looking at the forecasts for next week, and it's still looking good, so I' feeling optimistic for some good weather. We still can't get over that we are heading back so quickly, it has come out of the blue....we're so excited!

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Hi Deb
Your question about the restaurants got me thinking about two things...
Firstly, when we used to eat in the Farivalhu, the food was served from the centre. The food was set up in a circular way with the staff standing in the open air section in the middle. When it rained their backs got wet. As a guest, you walked round the circle helping yourself to food until you realised you were back at the start because you'd already got some of that on your plate. By that point, you were very likely to lose your table due to being dizzy. Much more space is available now at the back of the restaurant.

In the Maalan, if you sit at the bar in the Uthuru for a pre dinner drink, keep a tally of people who use the hand sanitizers and they walk into the Maalan. Men vs. women. Don't get me started on this but I'm sure you can guess the results.

I'm sure you'll have a fab time where ever you eat. There's loads of outdoor dining at the Maalan. The views at breakfast are fantastic.

I'm already looking forward to you next trip report... Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Ha ha,
I know where you are going, I think we could be wandering into trousers v skirts for travelling again!!!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the Malaan is better if you are able to eat outside, I'm getting the feeling it's a bit small inside. Children really don't bother us at all, I feel that i'll only be able to get sniffy about that one when ours are all grown up and left home!!!
I can't believe that we have never been in there after all of our trips. Mark had a drink once there waiting for me to come out of the spa Very Happy ...it was only the afternoon, but he said it was very quiet.
We'll only have four evenings there anyway as it's full moon and we intend to eat in the Wok twice!!! Our last trip to Meeru on our own in 2010 we ate in the Wok everynight. I'm sure we wouldn't repeat that.
Laughing

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Very Happy Very Happy
Don't want to give the wrong impression., I don't think The Maalan is small inside nor unpleasant. Ian and I would rather eat there than the Farivalhu. I suppose I made the point because I find the Farivalhu too large an open space.

Its a good job that we all like different things. I'm just glad that some people don't like Meeru at all (Have never understood why) but at least it leaves a space for us to pop along and enjoy it.

Now, 7 nights in the wok.........That I think we're both agreed on. Bring on the elasticated waists!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Jo I think I might the old elasticated waist now...I usually try to get rid of the 'meeru bloat' when we get back from a trip, but there's not been enough time Laughing I've been on the treadmill and Wii fit most days, but not sure it's doing much good...I think it's an age thing, and therefore something I can't help at all!!!!!
It's funny, I was going to ask which restaurant you prefer, I think Mark and I are so used to 'our meeru', we can't imagine that doing anything else will be as good. I have now well and truly taken off my 'narrow meeru mind' blinkers off and am now keen to embrace new experiences!!!!
You're right though...would hate everyone going there!!!
Now, I just need to do some smooth talking when Mark gets home as to why I've brought TWO pairs on sandals today for the holiday, and I don't wear any footwear from the moment we arrive to the moment we leave!! They were a bargain though!!!!
Thanks for all your Malaan info...actually can't wait now till Sunday.
Deb

[/url]
Another great trip... 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports