Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Another amazing trip 18-25 September
Another amazing trip 18-25 September 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
SCBDXB
Just back from a fabulous 6 days on Meeru. I’ve already posted a couple of responses to current topics on the Forum, so I’ll try to keep this trip report reasonably short so as not to bore everyone with my Meeru’itis!

There were only 11 of us on the boat transfer to Meeru on arrival, a fairly smooth transfer under a grey cloudy sky didn’t dampen the 5pm arrival to the island in any way. As a long-term Meeru Repeater Guest, I don’t usually have anything to grumble about and I am delighted to say that this trip maintained my ‘no grumbles in Meeru Paradise’ attitude. In fact it further exceeded my expectations. As a newly solo-traveller who advance requested ‘my usual room in the 400s please’, I was a little disappointed to be informed on arrival that unfortunately there were no 400s available this week.. However, disappointment soon turned to pure delight when I was offered JWV 701 - whoop whoop whoop totally gobsmacked and over the moon. Straight on the buggy and whisked away to the jetty, there was no stopping me! So a huge thank you to everyone on Meeru for that piece of kindness and generosity.

Cruises are still regularly available (depending on your room type) and the new luxury vessel ‘Hagern’ looks fabulous. Last week both Hagern and Kamana were available for cruises. I’m not good on boats, but have to say Hagern looks stunning and may have to be tried next time..

As always, there are too many fabulous staff to mention them all by name, but all the Spa ladies, Tini for Reiki, Maalan waiters and chefs, the Adult Pool Bar staff, Reception/Reservations Staff, the lovely new Sri Lankan tailor(ess), Cherry in Sales & Marketing and Denise in Guest Relations all helped to make my short stay even more pleasurable than ever.

There are currently 2 areas of refurbishments going on, the complete refurb of the main jetty which has caused no disruptions at all and the workers continued tirelessly even in the rain to get it completed as soon as possible.. all of those of you going in October should be walking on that lovely fresh new jetty.. Secondly the works on the 500s. I did not ask what exactly is happening, but I did take a peak through the fencing and the first 10 rooms in the lower 500s looked like completely empty ‘shells’, totally stripped back and gutted. Looks like the first guests to be staying in them once they are finished will be in for a treat. I love the smell of fresh wood and walked past every day just to see how they were progressing. Some new furniture was being delivered on Wednesday so I guess these rooms will be officially reopening quite soon. I do have one photo of the new frontage but I’m not sure if I can upload to the Forum (just call me techno-useless) but I’ll try later..

The first 2 days saw mostly rain all day and night but as always it was still a balmy 30C and it was nice to walk and swim in the rain, there was no stopping me! Although I did feel a little sad for first timers and honeymooners who weren’t so thrilled with the weather. It soon cleared up though and everyone was soon basking in the glorious sunshine, with the odd tropical downpour to break up the days, and plenty of night-time rain to clear the air.

The Lending Library is very short on English books at the moment, I don’t know if that’s because of less English guests or if everyone other than myself has moved onto Kindle!! If anyone has a few books to spare, the Library would love your donations 

The new Meeru Museum is very small but nicely done. They are very proud of it, so do take a few minutes to browse.

I didn’t dive this time, so I can’t comment on the Eurodivers Dive Centre (they took over from OceanPro in September 2014). All I can see is everything looked clean and orderly although there didn’t seem to be many divers last week.

Six days went by far too quickly, so I didn’t want to leave on Friday. But having met a lot of lovely people both guests and staff, and made even more friends, the Meeru Memories continue to grow.

Anyone who is travelling through Dubai to/from Meeru at any time, please feel free to send me a PM for tips on ‘How to Dubai’ as I'm more than happy to share my local knowledge. Happy Meeru’ing to you all, I look forward to reading trip reports from anyone visiting soon, especially for updates on the 500s and any other gossip you may come to know…  Cool

Got the Meeru blues ... counting down to 8 June 2018, chalking up visit #18.. bring it on..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:32 am Reply with quote
Jen
Thanks for your great trip report. Looks like Meeru is still as good as ever and I'm sure your report will have made everything more exciting for all of us soon to go out there.

Lucky you to get upgraded, although you do not spend lots of time in the rooms it's still exciting to be in a different one and all adds to the experience.

We have only been through Dubaii airport, and what a massive beautiful airport it is, up to now. One day will do a proper visit.

Jen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
CornishJon
Thanks for the report (still got to do mine from last sept!!).

One question I have is: is the asian wok over water?

Someone said earlier in the year the currents had changed and the water was further out, can you tell me if there is water underneath? (hopefully enough for the sharks to feed!)

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
SCBDXB
Yes it does change with the season/tides etc, but Asian Wok is back over water again at the moment! Laughing

Got the Meeru blues ... counting down to 8 June 2018, chalking up visit #18.. bring it on..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Ooooh can't wait to return to a new water villa in May next year....

thanks for posting!

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
Great report, thanks for sharing. Soooo looking forward to the speedboat docking and switching the engines off. Its like someone hitting the mute button. Cool And hearing the bird...

[/url]
Another amazing trip 18-25 September 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports