Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » Our latest visit...
Our latest visit... 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
rickc
Just a few observations after returning from our 11th visit.

The usual excellent service on Meeru was well to the fore. The staff really are excellent. Given a welcome by so many familiar faces such as Hassan, Mirfan and Thauheed in the Maalan, Saeed, Yovan and Waheed in the Dhoni Bar, Ranatunga in the Uthuru Bar, Dileep in the Asian Wok. That's just to mention a few ! I could go on.

Not much real change on the island since last February. Had a peep in one of the refurbished water villas and they are superb! A great improvement. Very light and airy. The beaches all round the island seem bigger/ deeper than last year, especially in our favourite spot by the Asian Wok in front of the 200s beach villas. A combination of natural forces and some pumping.

Visitors nowadays are really a cross section internationally. Whereas a few years back Brits would be well represented, we are now down the list. All sorts coming now from all over the globe, including Americans, Germans, French, Russians, etc. The Chinese are well represented but tend to stay only for a few days, then to be replaced by new arrivals.

Evening entertainment not particularly well supported for whatever reason. Not sure how Meeru can get this right given the mix of people visiting nowadays. The main live band night hasn't run for a couple of years now. The Management laid on a special screen and seating on the beach by the Dhoni Bar for entertainment for the Chinese for their New Year but only a handful turned out.

One thing which was quite noticeable, though not Meeru based, was the new Dhifushi situation. There is now an established alcohol free tourist resort on this neighbouring island just across the water from the Wok, albeit with only 14 rooms. The consequence of this is that there is much more activity on the water in that general area. Jetskis do now race up and down the channel between the two islands which is a bit of a shame given the general tranquility of Maldives locations. And there is definitely more boat traffic also in that area. And, would you believe it, holidaymakers are trying to swim from Dhifushi to Meeru across that dangerous stretch of strong currents. One day we witnessed four Russians who struggled but eventually made it to the beach by the Wok. They were met by one of the Meeru management staff and told of the dangers they were exposing themselves to. They were asked to leave. Apparently they think they can come ashore and get drinks ! We were told that there has already been one fatality and the Meeru rescue canoe has to be kept handy in case anyone gets into trouble.

Leaving that aside, Meeru continues to have an irresistible attraction and anyone going there for the first time, or repeating, will have an excellent time there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Hi,

Thanks for the post, ringing a few alarm bells here...

We were on Meeru this year for New Year, and the 200's too are our favourite spot. The jetskies must be new as they were not there last month, although as you say boat activity has picked up. Hate jetskies, what a shame, even worse though is the thought of people trying to swim accross...I don't intend to spend my time watching 'silly' people trying to swim to the WOK. Problem is, if i'm there and spot them human nature will make sure you watch till they are safe, even if they are 'silly'. Lets hope the message gets through pretty quickly that this is not allowed, i'm no baywatch lifesaver..havn't even got the right costume!!!

We return for Easter so will be interested to see any further developments.

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
sams
We loved sitting at the Wok watching the world go by, the thought of Jetskis ruining the beautiful peace and tranquillity is so sad.

I think I will stick with my memories of how Meeru used to be Sad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Totally horrified at the thought of Jetskis anywhere near Meeru Sad and I know I shouldn't laugh at the silly buggers but the thought of trying to swim all that way for a drink Rolling Eyes what about the sharks for god's sake!!!

Thanks for posting Rickc, I'm waiting on everyone's reports with bated breath as it brings our trip in May closer.....

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
rickc
To be honest, I am just hoping the jetski thing was just a one off seeing as how it apparently wasn't happening last month.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Rick,

We are hoping the same too. Have just been looking at their website and activities offered and nothing there about jetskies. Maybe it was just an experiment. I'm sure Meeru would have had something to say about them too. I'm keeping fingers crossed as my husband has said that if they are there and intrusive when we go in a few weeks time, we will have go to another island in future...maybe Vila. It would be really sad, as this will be our 17th trip to Meeru, we love it, but not with jetskies, could probably put up with dozy swimmers, but not jetskies!!!

Shanksy, I really laughed at your Shark comment!!! Loved it!

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:22 am Reply with quote
Shanksy
debandmark wrote:

Shanksy, I really laughed at your Shark comment!!! Loved it!

Deb

Laughing Laughing Laughing

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Bobby
Reporting live from Meeru!!!!! Definitely no signs of any jet skis!!!! Yes still quite a few Chinese but you can have s giggle people watching them!!! Why come to the Maldives and walk around wearing hoodies with the hoods up and constantly using a selfie stick!!!! It's worth watching them for entertainment!! The brand new land spa opened yesterday - we booked our massages for Friday and were lucky enough to be given a tour around - it's amazing. Still some work to do outside but ready for trade inside. There is water around it which will eventually have fish swimming around it and they are currently building a meditation/thought garden which anyone can go to to either meditate, pray or just feel tranquil - as I said still a little work to doom the exterior but stunning inside ps - it's boiling!!!!!

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
debandmark
Bang goes our promise NOT to go the spa next month!!!!

Sounds wonderful!!

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:58 am Reply with quote
swordfishradio
Only our Russian friends would attempt an island crossing like that! Maybe those 1970's style Speedo's are a help?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Meeru & Friends Photos - https://cluster.co/c/o60yRAtEK2w

Maayafushi 4, Kuredu 1, Dhonveli 1, Reethi 1, Meeru 4, Meeru booked for December 2018

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
rickc
Re the jetski thing, during our 10 night stay there was quite a lot of such activity on some days, and none at all on others. So it might just be that they were playing around with them for a while and it isn't a permanent thing. Wouldn't want this topic to be blown out of proportion and it certainly shouldn't put anyone off going to Meeru!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
We saw jet skis and water skiing when there last Easter. Few and far between and well away from meeru. Most were rubbish and spent most of the time in the water which just provided fun, distant entertainment. Certainly didn't distupt the tranquillity - not that we can complain as we impose a totally false world on Meeru with light pollution, frequent boat transfers and live music in the evenings.
Deb- never make promises- easpecially fragile ones- you should know better!
Count down to our visit
Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Yes Jo....silly me, I should know better!!! We're already deciding which day to
have our massage and we're not even there yet!!

So much for restraint....I can only just spell it!!!

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Bobby
Following my above post we did see jet skis later in the week - sorry all. The island opposite - diffushi - is now offering holidays (max 12 villas) and the jet skis are being used there. Didn't seem to impact on Meeru though

[/url]
Our latest visit... 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports