Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports » The Gledhill's 4th Visit
The Gledhill's 4th Visit 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Janster
This was our 4th visit to the island and I cannot describe the feeling you get as you step off the boat and onto the island. It just feels like coming home and I feel relaxed almost immediately. This time we were not initially greeted as return guests but that was soon rectified once they realised. Plus there are so many repeat guest it must be difficult to keep track.

We stayed in JWV 712 and it was the perfect location, sunset view with a wonderful breeze. It was great looking into the ocean at night watching all the marine life swimming by. We were lucky enough one night to see a turtle from our villa, apparently quite a rare sight. There were some refurbishments being carried out on the villas close to us but whilst it was a little irritating it wasn't enough to to make us want to move as the hotel most certainly would have done if we had asked. They did in fact contact us towards the end of the holiday to try and move us but it wasn't worth us packing and unpacking by this point.

Weather wise it was very mixed and our first 5 days were very cloudy and quite stormy. I quite like this as the colours that the ocean, and sky throw out are very dramatic. The last 5 days were almost perfect some cloud but way less rain and none at all for our last few days, still managed to get a decent tan for me.

The new restaurant is being built and they are working extremely hard to get this built quickly and the work has moved on significantly during our 10 days there. The resort is very sensitive to guests and we noticed very little, if any disturbance due to the works. I can't wait to see what it looks like when we return.

Food as always is fantastic and caters for all nationalities. With western food, curries, and Chinese food available at all meals. And the desserts, what can I say, one is never enough.

Football fans were well catered for with all the games being shown in the Dhoni bar and the usual entertainment in the Kakuni and Uthuru bars. We had fun at the glow party on the Saturday night too.

Al in all it was another fantastic holiday and what really makes Meeru so special for us is the staff and the way they are allowed to interact with the guests. They are very well looked after by the resort which makes them happy and a pleasure to spend time with. Whilst the majority of the staff are great I'd like to give a special shout out to Hassan and Shafig at the Maalan restaurant and Saeed, Yovan and Sreekumar at the bars for making our time so enjoyable.

We have just booked our next trip for New Year and cannot wait to be back.

Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
Really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting. We saw a turtle for the first time last October (Vila though, not Meeru) and it really was the highlight of my holiday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
sams
Nice to know Meeru is still just as wonderful as ever. Our last two Maldives holidays have been spent on Vilamendhoo, having been to Meeru the previous six. What I'd love to do next time is spend a week on each......oh well a girl can dream Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Shanksy
Thanks Jan so much for posting took me right back and has made me consider a JWV for next year.....if u get the sunset does that mean it's hotter in the afternoon.....I'd prefer the morning hotter and cooler in the afternoon would I better round the other side then? Which bar was Yovan in we only saw him the once in the kahuni and he looked miserable I think cos it was loud and he couldn't really talk to anyone there ...

[/url]

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, September 2018

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Thank you for posting, always enjoy a meeru fix! We were in 712 last year for our anniversary trip (without children for once!!) we tthought it a great position too.

We have done the last three New years on meeru, I can assure you that you will have a fantastic time! It's totally blown us away every time. It's my birthday on NYE and we had toyed with going away for years but just couldn't see the justification for the extra cost. Having done it...it's worth every penny.

We are hoping that we might get there again this year, but need to wait till a bit nearer the time before we commit. We may see you there....

Deb

[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
gailmail65
Yovan is one of the supervisors in Dhoni bar!

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Janster
Shanksy wrote:
Thanks Jan so much for posting took me right back and has made me consider a JWV for next year.....if u get the sunset does that mean it's hotter in the afternoon.....I'd prefer the morning hotter and cooler in the afternoon would I better round the other side then? Which bar was Yovan in we only saw him the once in the kahuni and he looked miserable I think cos it was loud and he couldn't really talk to anyone there ...

Hi Caroline,

We got the sun on our deck from around 9.15 til sunset, but I guess that depends on the time year as to how early you get it so you might be better with sunrise.

Yovan was in the Dhoni bar. The only miserable staff we came across were the drinks waiters in the Uthuru bar who we couldn't seem to engaged in conversation and came across like they didn't want to be there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Janster
debandmark wrote:
Thank you for posting, always enjoy a meeru fix! We were in 712 last year for our anniversary trip (without children for once!!) we tthought it a great position too.

We have done the last three New years on meeru, I can assure you that you will have a fantastic time! It's totally blown us away every time. It's my birthday on NYE and we had toyed with going away for years but just couldn't see the justification for the extra cost. Having done it...it's worth every penny.

We are hoping that we might get there again this year, but need to wait till a bit nearer the time before we commit. We may see you there....

Deb

I can't wait Deb, especially after what you have just said about it. Hopefully if you go we can meet up and have a New Years drink to celebrate your birthday.

Jan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
debandmark
Jan, That sounds like a definate plan!!

I really hope we get there for New Year...I can't imagine it at home now with a few nibbles and Jools Holland!!!

Deb

[/url]
The Gledhill's 4th Visit 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » Trip Reports