Meeru Island Resort Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion » Important news about Watersports... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
gailmail65
Have they started the new improved all-in drinks menu yet? Including Aperitifs, martini like cocktails.......

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
mermaid85
Last time we were there they had a couple of jetskis racing up and down from Diffushi which spoilt the peace and quiet complerely. If people want to jetski or partake in other motorised sports there are plenty of other places in the world to do it. Looking forward to our next visit in Feb. Lets hope it is still the peaceful place we know & love. X

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
Hi Gailmail, yes the new drinks menu is up and running

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
gailmail65
Interesting, we all want to see new menu now!

[/url]

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
It's proving rather difficult to post pictures this time, most of the photo sharing sites have removed the ability to select bb code from an iPad, and the one that does ( tinypics) is blocked on Meeru's IP address so struggling a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Grob62
If I'm spending over 5000 for two weeks in The Maldives, I will be looking for a resort that is jet ski free. As much as I love going to Meeru, to have jet skis buzzing all around the island will spoil the peace and quiet 😡😡

Gary and Lynda

[/url]

We have been back to Meeru...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
From what I can see on the Meeru Facebook page, lots of people are emailing the island over this. Myself included. I certainly wouldn't be spending 5-6000 on a holiday there if there are jet ski's. May as well go to the Mediterranean for that.
It's also an accident waiting to happen. Too many people snorkelling around the island. It would be unthinkable if someone was hit by one whilst snorkelling.
It's a baffling decision in my eyes.

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
Update off the FB page.
Meeru have confirmed the purchase of low decible, low emissions and eco friendly personal watercraft. They will not be used near the beaches, and not solo but part of a carefully planned guided tour / route.
Seemingly there is increased demand to extend the water sports.

Crying or Very sad

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 am Reply with quote
Shanksy
ivorfatarse wrote:
Update off the FB page.
Meeru have confirmed the purchase of low decible, low emissions and eco friendly personal watercraft. They will not be used near the beaches, and not solo but part of a carefully planned guided tour / route.
Seemingly there is increased demand to extend the water sports.

Crying or Very sad

Am trying to be philosophical (hey hey hey get me for a Sunday morning) if they've bought them in people must have asked for them but I can't believe ita been enough people to justify the cost and maybe they just saw a money making opportunity which u can't really blame them for however I personally don't want to hear them full stop unless they r taking guests who want to go on them 20 miles out to sea I don't see this as a good thing I will however use feedback from others over the next few months and not give up in my meeru dream must yet . Not something ull ever use but let's see if meeru manage to introduce this with their usual consideration for others

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
JoanneLorna
We saw the jet skis on Saturday afternoon moored outside the water sports centre. Two of them. The weather was dreadful and we were all in the Dhoni sheltering from the rain with all the doors closed. Once the rain had cleared we intended to take a photo but before we had chance two people (possibly staff - hard to tell in the haze of rain) took them off for a spin. They did seem to head straight out (across the main boat channel) and away. Their pace was slow and cautious but then the sea was very choppy. We then didn't see or hear them again. So they are there and if what we saw will become normal practice then Marlene's comments about use (paired and away from the island) seem fairly accurate. I know first hand that I heard many repeaters expressing their concerns at Friday's cocktails party and I know management value the discussion at these meetings as much as we do. If they were used as I saw them on Saturday, I wouldn't have a problem. The boats leaving the island to run the numerous trips each day as well as the seaplane landing for the photo flight are all far more obtrusive noise wise (and smell wise for the diesel engines) and none of us seem to object to those.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
Any news on the banana ride and something called the hurricane?

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Ian & Jo
No there was no mention of those at the repeaters, we were told that the dive centre take over from 1st November so I guess it won't be long before the reality can be seen and reported on rather than speculating on what might be. Clearly people were making their views known so only time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Grob62
Well the jet skis have arrived along with banana boats and something called Hurricane.

Prices are as follows
Banana boat rides 2 person minimum 15 minutes $33
Hurricane 1 or 2 person 15 minutes $33

Jet skis Fun Ride 20 minutes $121
Jet snorkelling inc 60 mins snorkelling 90 minutes $182
Jet excursion 60 minutes $275

Time to find another piece of paradise in The Maldives...

Gary and Lynda

[/url]

We have been back to Meeru...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
ivorfatarse
Banana boats on Meeru. Sorry you have just lost my business. I won't return whilst these things are zipping about. And it's not just the noise, I find it morally wrong to pollute such a beautiful place with these horrible things.

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
Shanksy
I thought I saw a banana boat in May but then thought I'd imagined it too much sun or cocktails Rolling Eyes I know what you mean about it being morally wrong, and I'm totally outraged at these changes, however I'm not sure that they will impact on those who don't wish to use/see/hear them, as the water isn't deep enough in the immediate area around the island. I can't believe Meeru would have introduced them without due consideration for why most of us go there but looking forward to the feedback over the coming months, not giving up on my Meeru dream just yet.....is a Hurricane not a cocktail....

Meeru; October 2007, February 2015, May 2016, October 2017???
Important news about Watersports... 
  Meeru Island Resort Forum Index » General Meeru Discussion